Page 1 of 2
LastLast

How should I settle this roommate dispute?

Hello everyone,

I'm currently in a bit of a pickle. 7 weeks ago, me and my roommate (and some friends) went to Canada to do some gambling, drinking, etc. When we were over there, one of the ATM's wasn't a huge fan of my Debit Card and the machine ate it. Consequently, I had no money to spend - so my roommate loaned me 45 bucks until we got back.

So, to my recollection, I went out to my bank a couple days later and withdrew 60 bucks (and have the bank statement to prove that) and paid him back. He doesn't seem to remember it in the same way.

He only recalls me paying him back 30 bucks. When I asked him for any proof of this, he only gave me a text message he sent me between the day he loaned me the money and the day I got my money where I acknowledged the debt. For whatever reason, in his mind, he's ardently arguing that a text acknowledging the debt is also proof that I paid him 30 bucks and still owe him 15.

To top it all off, this was a month and a half ago. Everyone's memory gets fuzzy over time. At this point, it just seems like a matter of "He said, she said" and I'm not quite sure how to resolve this.

15+ Year Old Account
    If he's that hung up on 15 bucks then I say screw him. Give him the 15 bucks and don't trust him ever again. Not much of a friend.

I was about to say that. Just give him the $15 and get over it. He's just going to bring it up and bring you down. You'd be much happier just letting it go.

*I forgot to mention. Make sure he knows you don't owe him anything after that, a written statement once you give him the money or something, and a picture.

Give him the 15 bucks but slowly steal his food from the fridge over the remainder of the lease.

Deleted
    It's 15 bucks for peace and quiet. Just never borrow money from him again unless with a receipt. I'm dead serious, everything outside of immediate family in writing.

well one of you is wrong but you don't have proof you paid him, you have proof you made a withdrawal

all i can say is 100% of earth can fuck you over, intentionally or inadvertently, if you can't prove you're right. next time get a receipt from him i guess.

Deleted
    the bigger question is... how much gambling and drinking can you do on 45 bucks?

10+ Year Old Account
    Give him 15 dollars in pure pennies. If he complains, adopt an innocent face and say you have no idea what he's talking about

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzzie View Post
    If he's that hung up on 15 bucks then I say screw him. Give him the 15 bucks and don't trust him ever again. Not much of a friend.
    pretty much this. really this big deal over 15$? sigh

Give it to him in pennies.

Quote Originally Posted by ergonomic View Post
    you sir win the internet

Deleted
    Give him his pathetic 15$, tell him he's a piece of shit, wait for him to realize that himself and go back to being good friends. (Just assumed you were good friends, if you're not that's fine, same shit.)

Edit: Actually instead of calling him a piece of shit, do the thing "ergonomic" said. Works the same way without you needing to insult him.

Indeed. Rusty ones, for that matter.

Losing a friendship over $15 is silly. Sounds to me like he suddenly needs that extra $15 you say you paid him back already...and now he's thinking he might be able to squeeze it out of you for a second time. Give him the $15 and maybe just don't let him borrow anything of yours or whatever it is until you feel your $15 is paid back to you. I'm sure if he is that good of a friend he has done things for you in the past, etc. to help you when you need it. Either way, refuse to pay him and you may have an issue on your hands. Let him know you know you paid him back in full already, but because you value your friendship more than money it's no biggie. His memory may get refreshed with a guilt trip. But either way it is a he said she said situation. Why waste a good friendship over something so meager?

Better yet, go to a currency exchange and get something really way out like rupees or something. Then pay him back.

Quote Originally Posted by Dacien View Post
    Better yet, go to a currency exchange and get something really way out like rupees or something. Then pay him back.
    haha I was going to say the same thing. Give it to him in Canadian money or something, since thats where the debt occured

10+ Year Old Account
    He sounds just like one of my friends. Dude will send collectors after 2 pennies because he's so stingy. Needless to say, I don't speak with him much anymore. He's not worth my time. But if you wish to remain friends with the douche, then either tell him to get fucked or pay him an extra $15. If I were in your shoes, I'd tell him option one & tell him how stingy & worthless he comes across & then go my way & hope he doesn't remain butt hurt. Best of luck

Offer to meet him halfway since you're sure you paid. See if he'll take 7 or 8 bucks and call it even.

---------- Post added 2012-03-19 at 05:05 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by cherb View Post
    haha I was going to say the same thing. Give it to him in Canadian money or something, since thats where the debt occured
    Depending on where the dollar is at it may end up costing you more to pay in Canadian.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dacien View Post
    15 dollars is 1250 yen, so you could use that idea and convert it in to yen and give him 1250 of these;

It's always been Wankershim!
    My Brand!

Quote Originally Posted by walbomb View Post
    Offer to meet him halfway since you're sure you paid. See if he'll take 7 or 8 bucks and call it even.

---------- Post added 2012-03-19 at 05:05 PM ----------

Depending on where the dollar is at it may end up costing you more to pay in Canadian.
    Not really that much no more. 15 CAD is worth $15.21 USD