Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Single core for GW2?

Hey!

I was wondering will my 3.4ghz single core in my old beater desktop might have a chance to run GW2? I am also putting a DX11 or DX10 1 gig graphics card into it. I dont care if the graphics settings are almost all at low (but that kind of defeats the purpose of buying a new graphics card for it...). If it does run with a single core i then will continue to upgrade it with a new mother board ... processor... the works. Btw i dobut if its relavant but the ram is 4 gigs.[/COLOR]

The highlighted specs are what i would be running GW2 on if it runs with a single core.
    Last edited by Edge-; 2012-03-29 at 04:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Michaelman77 View Post
    Hey!

I was wondering will my 3.4ghz single core in my old beater desktop might have a chance to run GW2? I am also putting a DX11 or DX10 1 gig graphics card into it. I dont care if the graphics settings are almost all at low (but that kind of defeats the purpose of buying a new graphics card for it...). If it does run with a single core i then will continue to upgrade it with a new mother board ... processor... the works. Btw i dobut if its relavant but the ram is 4 gigs.

The highlighted specs are what i would be running GW2 on if it runs with a single core.
    I.. wouldn't bet on it.
    The minimum specs ask for a dual core processor, I would assume they are optimizing it with dual cores in mind at the least, due to dual cores being so much less popular than quad cores currently and single core users being a minuscule amount in comparison.

You may be able to run GW2, but it will perform horribly.

Herald of the Titans Snow White's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Oh god acid green...

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING.

But no, I don't think so.

10+ Year Old Account
    http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri/intro.aspx

Go here
    Type Guild Wars 2
    Click button
    It answers your question

---------- Post added 2012-03-29 at 02:43 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Snow White View Post
    Oh god acid green...

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING.

You know you like it.

Pretty much what Delias said, wouldn't bet on it running GW2. You're probably due for an upgrade.

cant believe people still use those. dual cores the common processor these days

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING.
    This made me happy.

Up and at them!

Quote Originally Posted by Jimusmc View Post
    cant believe people still use those. dual cores the common processor these days
    I was going to be an ass and link this to show that it's not the case for current gamers..
    but I WAS WROOONG.

http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey
    Second one on the left, shows that out of steam users (and let's face it, the vast majority of PC gamers have steam) just under 47% use dual cores, just under 45% use quad cores, and just over 5% use single cores, putting single cores in the minority.

What were we talking about, again?

If you saw what was written here before I edited, ignore it.
    I haven't slept in.. too long, and am going to go do that right now.

... maybe after refreshing the GW2 subforum a few times.
    (Guys, I have a problem.)
    Last edited by Delias; 2012-03-29 at 04:14 PM.

I know you've had some good times with that PC, but she's past her best. Take her round the back of the barn, say goodbye, and give her both barrels...

I wouldn't recommend a single core CPU for browsing the web, let alone running a modern game. Hell, there are phones that have multicore CPUs these days. Don't waste any money on that PC. Get all new stuff.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Michaelman77 View Post
    Hey!

I was wondering will my 3.4ghz single core in my old beater desktop might have a chance to run GW2? I am also putting a DX11 or DX10 1 gig graphics card into it. I dont care if the graphics settings are almost all at low (but that kind of defeats the purpose of buying a new graphics card for it...). If it does run with a single core i then will continue to upgrade it with a new mother board ... processor... the works. Btw i dobut if its relavant but the ram is 4 gigs.
    Green text on beige background is a terrible thing, very hard to read. Don't do it.
    And no, your PC won't be able to handle GW2. Minimum is a dual core. You won't be able to start the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Noomz View Post
    Green text on beige background is a terrible thing, very hard to read. Don't do it.
    And no, your PC won't be able to handle GW2. Minimum is a dual core. You won't be able to start the game.
    Games generally do their requirements by the lowest possible 'playable' setting, which is generally judged by 'about 30FPS on the lowest settings'.
    It does not mean he/she won't be able to run the game, it means the game will be basically unplayable.
    Whether that unplayable means 10FPS or 1FPS, they will not know unless they test the game themself..
    But they will definitely not be able to play the game anywhere near where the developers want them to experience the game.

Oh god acid green...

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING.

Whats wrong with acid green?

And welcome back Snow. :x
    Last edited by Edge-; 2012-03-29 at 06:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmist View Post
    I know you've had some good times with that PC, but she's past her best. Take her round the back of the barn, say goodbye, and give her both barrels...

I wouldn't recommend a single core CPU for browsing the web, let alone running a modern game. Hell, there are phones that have multicore CPUs these days. Don't waste any money on that PC. Get all new stuff.
    I don't know why, but I nearly laughed myself into a coma with that first line.

Quote Originally Posted by Decimation View Post
    I don't know why, but I nearly laughed myself into a coma with that first line.
    Nearly?
    Shame.

Woops, said in this very thread almost an hour ago that I was going to bed. I work tonight! *runs away*

Quote Originally Posted by Delias View Post
    Nearly?
    Shame.

Woops, said in this very thread almost an hour ago that I was going to bed. I work tonight! *runs away*
    Don't gooooooo

Quote Originally Posted by Larynx View Post
    Don't gooooooo
    I was pretty much lying, I can't bring myself to stop refreshing the GW2 subforum.
    As I said, I have a problem.

I was pretty much lying, I can't bring myself to stop refreshing the GW2 subforum.
    We... have a problem.

Tis my homepage!

Man that lime green is sexy.
    But yeah your current setup will struggle/fail.
    Last edited by Edge-; 2012-03-29 at 06:33 PM.