Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Unsubscribe, whenever there is no new content left

Blizzard is knowingly adding skinner boxes to world of warcraft, to create an illusion of engagement, to keep players paying subs.

Those are psychological tricks which easily lead to addiction at some point, if players lost the need for good gameplay, and just play everything blizzard wants them to for rewards.

The best solution to counter lazy game design like that is to quit whenever there is no unique content left.

Do not repeat world quests over and over just for a silly reward, as like becoming able to fly. Do not boost blizzards /played statistics based on repetetive content which is infact not replayable at all.

Running the same dungeons over and over just for the loot, playing the same turtle-quests over and over just for reputation, on every main and alt is not what a game as expensive as world of warcraft should be about. Blizzard should be forced to add content on a monthly basis, they should be forced to make different progression pathes, where the rewards do just matter enough not to make gameplay obsoiete.

Based on that, quitting the game early is the best solution, to show Blizzard that Skinner Boxes are a bad choice to fill a game with content.

It seems to me, the real replayability of World of Warcraft is very low. And the psychological tricks blizzard uses to enforce their loot schedule is at an all time high. What do you think? Is the game replayable for you, without focusing on the rewards? Or do you want to believe it is all fine, and just continue your daily grind?
    Rinse and repeat. For the rewards. Send even more turtles into the water.

A lot of people already do that; part of the reason why there's always a huge surge of players during major patch and expansion releases.

Quote Originally Posted by Calfredd View Post
    A lot of people already do that; part of the reason why there's always a huge surge of players during major patch and expansion releases.
    But obviously not enough, as blizzard continues their lazy game design with overusing skinner boxes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Isn't one thread enough already with your "skinner boxes" bullshit? Sigh...

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    Isn't one thread enough already with your "skinner boxes" bullshit? Sigh...
    I created no other thread which is about the skinner box effect particularily. The other threads are about what is wrong with world of warcraft in general and how to solve it . This is about how to react to blizzards lazy game design as a player. People need to be aware of the psychological tricks blizzard abuses to make them play longer.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred Skinner View Post
    Blizzard is knowingly adding skinner boxes to world of warcraft, to create an illusion of engagement, to keep players paying subs.

Those are psychological tricks which easily lead to addiction at some point, if players lost the need for good gameplay, and just play everything blizzard wants them to for rewards.

The best solution to counter lazy game design like that is to quit whenever there is no unique content left.

Do not repeat world quests over and over just for a silly reward, as like becoming able to fly. Do not boost blizzards /played statistics based on repetetive content which is infact not replayable at all.

Running the same dungeons over and over just for the loot, playing the same turtle-quests over and over just for reputation, on every main and alt is not what a game as expensive as world of warcraft should be about. Blizzard should be forced to add content on a monthly basis, they should be forced to make different progression pathes, where the rewards do just matter enough not to make gameplay obsoiete.

Based on that, quitting the game early is the best solution, to show Blizzard that Skinner Boxes are a bad choice to fill a game with content.

It seems to me, the real replayability of World of Warcraft is very low. And the psychological tricks blizzard uses to enforce their loot schedule is at an all time high. What do you think? Is the game replayable for you, without focusing on the rewards? Or do you want to believe it is all fine, and just continue your daily grind?
    Funny almost like blizz themselves have said they understand and encourage their players to be cyclical.
    hugh who woulda thunk.
    Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    Remove combat, Mobs, PvP, and Difficult Content

But obviously not enough, as blizzard continues their lazy game design with overusing skinner boxes.
    Since Blizzard started WoW with skinner box content, you're going to have to be more specific with your complaints.

Or maybe you should stop telling others what to do? If you don't like the game thats fine but move on and stop pestering the forums with your nagging ever day.

Quote Originally Posted by Calfredd View Post
    Since Blizzard started WoW with skinner box content, you're going to have to be more specific with your complaints.
    I actually was very specific, in special when it is about narrow progression options (just one path per reward) or the real replayablity of wow content (like spamming dungeons or world quests).

I created no other thread which is about the skinner box effect particularily. The other threads are about what is wrong with world of warcraft in general and how to solve it . This is about how to react to blizzards lazy game design as a player. People need to be aware of the psychological tricks blizzard abuses to make them play longer.
    Someone just finnished/started a new course and needs to tell the world he know stuff. It's annoying as heck but I guess we all were at least a bit like this at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by Aggrophobic View Post
    Or maybe you should stop telling others what to do? If you don't like the game thats fine but move on and stop pestering the forums with your nagging ever day.
    I cannot tell anyone what do do. I just want to show how bad the game is being designed, and to give explanations on how to change it. The only way to get things going is a massive subscriber loss. Blizzard rarely listens to feedback or to complains on forums.

The wallet is the only thing that bothers them.

Crazy idea here. What if those who do not Unsub, and keep playing, what if they actually have fun?
    Do you think you have any right to tell people what they have or have not to enjoy?

Thanks for telling me what to do, i wouldn´t know what to do when I´m bored with the game.

Quote Originally Posted by LanToaster View Post
    Crazy idea here. What if those who do not Unsub, and keep playing, what if they actually have fun?
    I just want to inform people what kind of psychological tricks blizzard uses to give an illusion of engagement. Sure, there probably really are people who like to send the same turtles into the water every single day. Or who like to grind dungeons over and over.

Yet, the skinner box effect is really strong, and people should be sure they do not just play for rewards but only for having fun with the repetition blizzard enforces by psychological tricks.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by XDurionX View Post
    Thanks for telling me what to do, i wouldn´t know what to do when I´m bored with the game.
    Well, some people, in special those that have a higher intellectual level, are bored by dull repetition of the same unfun gameplay over and over. There are surely some who love to hit the shoot button in a three slot "save the turtle" game for massive enjoyment. Someone could get the impression blizzard sees the minimum intellectual level of a typical player somewhere below that of a primate, if you take a closer look onto the minimal complexity of the gameplay.

I just want to inform people what kind of psychological tricks blizzard uses to give an illusion of engagement. Sure, there probably really are people who like to send the same turtles into the water every single day. Or who like to grind dungeons over and over.

Yet, the skinner box effect is really strong, and people should be sure they do not just play for rewards but only for having fun with the repetition blizzard enforces by psychological tricks.

- - - Updated - - -

Well, some people, in special those that have a higher intellectual level, are bored by dull repetition of the same unfun gameplay over and over. There are surely some who love to hit the shoot button in a three slot "save the turtle" game for massive enjoyment. Someone could get the impression blizzard sees the minimum intellectual level of a typical player somewhere below that of a primate, if you take a closer look onto the minimal complexity of the gameplay.
    "stop having fun unless its how i tell you to have fun"

pleb

- - - Updated - - -

You do realize that this is what the end game has always been about though? It's not something that's new, vanilla and tbc end gamr were about the exact same thing - content replayability for in-game rewards.

If you have a problem with this you've genuinely just picked the wrong game. Why should I go and complain on the COD forums about how I dislike the core idea of the game (I do and always have done) instead of finding another game I like to play?

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    A lot of people enjoy playing repeatable group content with their friends. Which is pretty much how an MMO is designed to be played.
    What? An MMO is supposed to be played with other People? That doesnt sound right.

Quote Originally Posted by Arainie View Post
    If you have a problem with this you've genuinely just picked the wrong game. Why should I go and complain on the COD forums about how I dislike the core idea of the game (I do and always have done) instead of finding another game I like to play?
    Skinner box effects without compelling gameplay are what i talk about. If blizzard would invest just a little more effort into the game, they could make it less obvious that all they want is a higher /played time. If they would think about their customers about not being idiots who love to push some buttons every day for become exalted with the Buttonpusher-faction, they also probably could start to add compelling and engaging gameplay at the same time.

Sure, skinner boxes often are part of RPGs, yet, many RPGs try to add usefull and smart gameplay as well. The Blizzard devs for WoW just have forgotten how to do that.

MMORPG the genre always was about repeating things for rewards ( clearing and farming raids/dungeons/reps/questing for levels)
    If you want to quite when all unique content is done, you really are asking for a single player game... plenty of those on the market to play.

I myself use the "am I having fun" metric, most of the time I do, sometimes I dont. For example recently I was on a 2 month break pre 8.2 and I played ESO in the meantime. Now I am back in wow... I am back to having fun again.

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    A lot of people enjoy playing repeatable group content with their friends. Which is pretty much how an MMO is designed to be played.
    As i said, i am sure some people love to redo the same content over and over. While i wonder if they do it for the reward or because they love facing the same boss over and over. Beside that, i was not just talking about group content, but also about solo content, which is even worse designed than group content in world of warcraft, which is just stupid button pushing and neither a mental challenge nor an execution challenge, which is not creating any new narrative aspect or giving any new better gameplay after some time played. Based on that, and on blizzards lazy game design in special in solo content, they should at least try to start to handle their customers as intelligent individuals, and offer gameplay which is at least compelling to a degree. And not stupid puzzles for primates and memory games with 20 tiles for toddlers.