10+ Year Old Account

Knee injury / menisci problems

First off, I know this is a weird forum to ask in, but I also know there are a lot of people here who work out. So here goes.

My knee used to lock up periodically. It was that way ever since I was 14 or 15. It would usually happen if I sat in an awkward position. I used to have to use force (kick) to make it go away. It was a painful process and would sometimes leave my knee sore.

About 3 months ago, before Christmas, I was sitting down with my legs crossed and got up quickly. There was a loud bang from within my knee and it was extremely painful. After that, I was unable to fully extend my leg, and it hurt like hell to walk on. I was given a magnetic X-ray type thing and they concluded a piece of the meniscus had broken off. They also believed that I'd previously had a fracture on it, causing the lock ups.

On December 19th, the broken piece was taken out via keyhole surgery. The surgeon said I would be able to (and should) walk straight away, and begin exercising after about 6 weeks. I walk every day (parental leave = long walks with the pram), and have walked almost every day since the surgery.

Three weeks ago (so, what, 10 weeks after surgery?) I got a gym membership and started working out 3 times a week. My routine was 10 mins warmup on a bike, various machines (abs, thighs, back mostly) and then 15 mins on a cross trainer. All in all about 50 minutes of workout including stretching. After I had been 6 times, my knee swelled up and got really hot. It also hurt a bit. I decided to take it easy for a few days and just walk. However, my knee is now swollen and sore after just my normal 45 mins - 1 hour pram walk!

I'd like to hear from people who have had similar knee injuries. How long did it take to heal? When could you exercise and to what extent? Did I screw up completely starting workout? I obviously called the doctor but was unable to get an appointment until Monday next week I was getting really into working out again (not been working out properly since before I got pregrant, 1 and a half years ago) and I'm so frustrated with this stupid knee thing.
    When someone asks, “What is best in life?” there’s only one answer: “To crush the newbs, see them driven before me, and read their lamentations on the forums” - Lylirra

:O ouch, knee problems are probably one of the most common things in exercise :[ Make sure you Ice it 2-3 times a day. Sorry I can't help you any further because I never had mines popped like that. Although I do have patella tendonitis from basketball

I'm 23 and have had 3 knee surgeries already. I have no cartilage in my left and only half in my right. It took roughly 8 months for me to feel completely comfortable again on my knee. Don't get me wrong I had the same surgery you did and was walking the next day. But in terms of exercising without thinking about your knee it takes a while. Not to say that you shouldnt exercise, just take it easy.

Cycling isn't really a great idea, due to the movement of the knee joint, it's very stressful on recently injured knees. It probablty won't be anything serious that you have done to the knee, it may just be fluid build up below the patella which is normal after such injuries, however I'd lay off cycling for a while until it is fully healed. Swimming is an excellent alternative.

I've torn my ACL twice in the span of two years. Biking is absolutely necessary for rehabilitation, btw. You should hop on the elliptical, it does wonders on knees. As for swimming, that's a great way to build strength. Try running in the water!

I blasted my knee apart in a mountain biking accident back when I was 17, effectively ending my chances at a hockey career (sob story over). One thing that helped in my rehabilitation was strengthening the muscles around it, especially the hamstring. The easiest way was to have a pulley and a weight on the end of it, tie one end of a cord to the weight, pass it over the pulley and attach the other end to your ankle, then standing upright, bend your lower leg back to about 90 degrees and hold it for a few seconds, then lower it again. If you have access to the right equipment at the gym you can substitute this on a machine doing a standing leg curl. If you feel comfortable on that, start to increase the weights. Eventually doing wide stance weight lifts will help, like a sumo deadlift.

Cycling is very much a great way to exercise, extended walks or running I would not recommend as the impact to the knees can just make things worse. Anything low impact will do well; stationary cycle, elliptical, swimming, weights etc. Just don't over do it.

What, no arrow reference?

Running/extended walking is terrible for knees that are missing cartilage (menisci). Do something that does not cause impact on your knees such as what has been mentioned already like biking and swimming. Running/extended walking with missing cartilages will cause the early onset of arthritis.

You do need to solve your immediate problem of having a swollen knee though by seeing someone in sports medicine or an orthopedic surgeon.

Hope you feel better.