Thread: Haunt removal?

Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    Deleted

Haunt removal?

Well, basically I was wondering if the Haunt removal we saw sometime ago from the Mists of Pandaria talent calculator is intended or something they just missed out. It just doesn't make sense to me to leave Haunt out of the standard "rotation", so to say, for warlocks.

Although many new casual spells were added, imagine the standard rotation simplified - put your damage over time effects up and spam the new Malefic Grasp. I hate even the idea of it.

Please tell me it's a bug or something they forgot. I heard they forgot Mind Spike for Shadow Priests as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    While a number of changes among the classes talent calculators show that blizz isnt being 100% through (References to abilities that are missing, ect), Haunt DOES seem to have been replaced by Malefc Grasp. /shrug
    Quote Originally Posted by Moounter View Post
    I think your problem is a lack of intellect.

They didn't leave it out. Haunt in addition to Shadow's Embrace was responsible for the issues warlocks had with ramp-up and target switching. The new model allows us to roll UA/Corruption on all of our targets and immediately switch to any of them full blast within 2 GCD's (BoA > Malefic Grasp).

Their intention is also to simplify a lot of the warlock rotations.

Quote Originally Posted by Sockmaster View Post
    They didn't leave it out. Haunt in addition to Shadow's Embrace was responsible for the issues warlocks had with ramp-up and target switching. The new model allows us to roll UA/Corruption on all of our targets and immediately switch to any of them full blast within 2 GCD's (BoA > Malefic Grasp).

They're already kind of simple. Especially afflictions.

Deleted
    But that's utterly retarded in terms of rotation design. What's the fun of using one filler spell while keeping 3 dots up?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sockmaster View Post

Let's hope it turns out as it should, i really wanted this for so long. Tired of being useless on fast swaps, all the ramp up damage takes wayyyyyy tooo long.

Deleted
    My haunt!!!!

Deleted
    Yes but wouldn't it be nice to don't over simplify the rotation. Remove Shadow Embrace but keep Haunt for example?

I stopped playing Affliction because of Haunt and because they removed Soul Siphon. I loved Soul Siphon. But I hate Haunt and will be glad to see it go!

Correct me if I am wrong but with the removal of Haunt would that mean affliction is no longer a self healing spec? Malefic Grasp instead of Drain life as our filler, no talent or built in mechanic that is like Siphon Life, and no Haunt coming back and healing us.... Our damage better be fucking amazing thats all I have to say

Armory^

Deleted
    Who cares about the self healing, I care about losing interest in the spec with this. No more haunt debuff and cooldown management, in addition to the more or less visually attractive effect of the spell going and coming back.

Nobody has seen Malefic Grasp yet, it could be an insanely cool looking spell.

Also, learn to use the MoP talent calculators. The entire row of T1 choices is devoted to self-healing. This means that, if you aren't really a fan of the new Affliction for whatever reason, you can still enjoy the self-healing you've grown to love.

Quote Originally Posted by Drakile View Post
    Correct me if I am wrong but with the removal of Haunt would that mean affliction is no longer a self healing spec? Malefic Grasp instead of Drain life as our filler, no talent or built in mechanic that is like Siphon Life, and no Haunt coming back and healing us.... Our damage better be fucking amazing thats all I have to say
    Agreed. Haunt is VITAL for soloing, questing, and, well, anything non-group.
    "Let's see. There are monkeys that evolved into men and monkeys that didn't. Just as well, there are men that remained men and men that evolved into something else. Do you really think humans are the ultimate form of evolution? How arrogant."
    --Kakurine, Evil Zone for PS1

Epic!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Psyche View Post
    I care about losing interest in the spec with this. No more haunt debuff and cooldown management
    Soul Burn says hello. It's supposed to be reduced to a 15-second cooldown, is affliction only, and will be propped up by Drain Soul's new ability to replenish Soul Shards over the duration of its channel (rather than on the death of the target).

So you'll be using a Soul Burn effect every 15 seconds (with brief situational delays for imminent burst phases), then when your shards are gone/low (or possibly after each use -- we'll see when we have numbers), you'll be using Drain Soul immediately after a Soulburned Malefic Grasp to refill them.

As always, it's the intricate little details that fill out a rotation and make it interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by ChaosWolf View Post
    Agreed. Haunt is VITAL for soloing, questing, and, well, anything non-group.
    As already stated in this thread, self-healing is covered quite capably by the first tier of talents at level 15+. All of the specs are intended to do similar damage as well as healing this time around.

Back in MY day we didn't have Haunt or Shadow Embrace! We used Corruption, Immolate, Siphon Life, and a Curse and Shadow Bolted in between and we LIKED IT!

Also, self healing, despite the level 15 talents, has been partially replaced by complete damage mitigation entirely. A shield wall and the level 45 talents...why heal damage when we can actively negate it entirely? 45 second cooldown Mortal Coil is also icing on the cake, if that cooldown stays for release anyway. We'll be fine.

Deleted
    I'm hoping it's not removed, they seem to be nerfing multi dotting and keeping haunt along with malefic grasp would be the perfect way of toning it down.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Drakile View Post
    your spells from fel armor heal for alot more. and you get aoe lifedreain...should be enuf aoe heals

OT..umm i wont miss it 2 much...it was a "buff" that we had to keep up and cuased longer ramp ups...if i can get the same effects with UA corr and Grasp faster then it feels better in gameplay to me because im actually dotting and draining/grapsing your life away vs...hold on i gotta applly 3stacks of shadow embrase before you feel my wrath....

Quote Originally Posted by gnlogic View Post
    your spells from fel armor heal for alot more. and you get aoe lifedreain...should be enuf aoe heals
    Well if you went and read the new fel armor you would see that it does not heal you through damage you do anymore, they just smashed Demon Armor and Fel Armor together, it now increases your armor by a set amount, your stamina by 10% and the amount you are healed for through healing spells by 10% which is 20% less then the current demon armor. And Harvest Life is 4% health every second for 6 seconds no longer dependent on how many you drain it will stay 4% health a second which is somewhat decent assuming you go Harvest Life instead of the other two and then you got Mortal Coil (Over Howl which is a really hard choice) then you have a little bit of the healing we had but like the other posters have pointed out we are going to have more damage mitigation then we do now between Unending Resolve and Sacraficial Pact/Dark Bargain.

Armory^

Quote Originally Posted by Canoftuna View Post
    Back in MY day we didn't have Haunt or Shadow Embrace! We used Corruption, Immolate, Siphon Life, and a Curse and Shadow Bolted in between and we LIKED IT!

Also, self healing, despite the level 15 talents, has been partially replaced by complete damage mitigation entirely. A shield wall and the level 45 talents...why heal damage when we can actively negate it entirely? 45 second cooldown Mortal Coil is also icing on the cake, if that cooldown stays for release anyway. We'll be fine.
    talk for yourself not everyone liked it.

Haunt should be a nuke for aff like Mindblast is for SPs, something for burst sacrificing sustained dps

Quote Originally Posted by Hellfury View Post
    talk for yourself not everyone liked it.

Haunt should be a nuke for aff like Mindblast is for SPs, something for burst sacrificing sustained dps
    I was speaking for myself, and it was mostly in a joking tone, which is pretty obvious given the context I put it in.

With the projected Warlock format, there is no room for nukes. They're taking away Shadow Bolt and giving Malefic Grasp for a reason. The entire spec is DoT based, and Malefic Grasp defines that even more with its effect. On a spec that has been known to be DoT spec, why even give us a nuke when we can make DoT's hit even harder?