Thread: Monk Concerns

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Felade View Post
    The problem is, they could click it at the wrong time. Imagine if you were doing something like, oh, Ultraxion. And you go into the zone while someone clicks your statue, and you lose 2 seconds of your 6 second buff. Or you're doing Blackhorn, and someone clicks the statue to work on drakes, but the melee adds are both dead. Or you're on Spine, and someone clicks on your statue while DPSing an Amalg (or just on accident) and you can't get the buff for the next tendon. Or imagine you are trying to line up your CD with your weapon enchants and trinket procs, or with other CDs, and some schmoe uses up all the charges when you're not ready. Or you're doing Magmaw chains, and someone clicks your statue while you are on the worm's back and not DPSing at all. Etc, Etc.

The issue isn't if they'll click or not. The issue is when they click.
    Same difference, really. Like I said, it'll separate the goods from the not so goods. It seems to me that since it benefits both you and the ally who clicks, it's not just a personal buff, which seems to be how you're thinking of it. It's like tricks of the trade without any tier bonuses. As a rogue, I'm using that on cooldown so I can buff an ally. Raiding's about teamwork, so helping boost other people's damage is important too.

For the Ultraxion and Blackhorn encounters, even if you don't really get the full use of the buff, someone else is, and that someone else is helping to speed up damage done as a whole, so it's still a win. For spine, I haven't done heroic so I'm not sure how crazy it is to deal with the amalgamation at 9 stacks, but if they know what they're doing, they'd wait till the tendon.

Also remember that it's also only a 6 second buff (with two buffs per statue), so I don't think that it will be THAT important for your DPS. It's significant, but I don't think Blizzard designed this so not having the buff at the most opprotune times becomes a big DPS loss. Plus, numbers aren't finalized, so things can change.

And the benefit is?....
    The benefit is the ability to do both damage and healing at the same time, giving the player an interesting, yet still viable playstyle. If you don't like that, nobody's forcing you to play the spec

10+ Year Old Account
    If they're clicking your statue at the wrong time, talk to them. If it's LFR, shift your big damage cooldowns to anticipate someone mistiming their clicks.

Personally, I like the idea of a dps-healer. I'm in the camp that the Holy Trinity needs to go, so hybridized healing and DPS is a good way to test the waters.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

10+ Year Old Account
    Behind you, what I'm not? Then who's this person I'm behind?
    My only minor concerns -

1. The windwalker dps cooldowns seem to be rather weak and bland.

2. The "Storm, Earth, and Fire" facet aspect of the brewmaster spec seems to be done away with.

It is quite possible that I'm misunderstanding this, but I think all that chi stuff turns into a mana cost when you switch to your healing stance.
    You keep Chi, it is pretty much just a fancy Combo Point thing at this point since they removed the whole light/dark aspect(probably for the best) of it and you lose Energy and get a Mana bar instead

Quote Originally Posted by Army of Darkness View Post
    My only minor concerns -

1. The windwalker dps cooldowns seem to be rather weak and bland.

2. The "Storm, Earth, and Fire" facet aspect of the brewmaster spec seems to be done away with.
    I wouldn't throw away hope just yet, at least for number 2. Or number 1 for that matter. We have yet to see finalized Monk talents, or abilities, at that.
    Last edited by The Madgod; 2012-03-19 at 03:54 PM. Reason: clarification

The problem is, they could click it at the wrong time. Imagine if you were doing something like, oh, Ultraxion. And you go into the zone while someone clicks your statue, and you lose 2 seconds of your 6 second buff. Or you're doing Blackhorn, and someone clicks the statue to work on drakes, but the melee adds are both dead. Or you're on Spine, and someone clicks on your statue while DPSing an Amalg (or just on accident) and you can't get the buff for the next tendon. Or imagine you are trying to line up your CD with your weapon enchants and trinket procs, or with other CDs, and some schmoe uses up all the charges when you're not ready. Or you're doing Magmaw chains, and someone clicks your statue while you are on the worm's back and not DPSing at all. Or you're doing Zon'ozz, and you really want to save charges for Black Blood phase, and someone uses them all up. Someone clicks your statue just before Hagara goes into frost/lightning phase, completely wasting the buff. Etc, Etc.

The issue isn't if they'll click or not. The issue is when they click.

And the benefit is?....
    A different way of playing? I really don't understand why you're complaining about this, if you don't like it, don't play a Monk healer.
    It's could've and would've. Not could of and would of. Not sure when "of" started meaning "have," but everyone who thinks it does needs to go back to school.

10+ Year Old Account
    Behind you, what I'm not? Then who's this person I'm behind?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Madgod View Post
    I wouldn't throw away hope just yet, at least for number 2. Or number 1 for that matter. We have yet to see finalized Monk talents, or abilities, at that.
    Yeah there's definitely still hope. It's just best that we become extra critical of any possible monk flaws, while their still in heavy devolpment, and hope Blizzard hears us out. Less we end up with a class that doean't live up to the expatiations that the majority of the playerbase pin it up to be.

What if they were changed to be instant cast and you put it out when you wanted to have the DPS increase for you and your two allies. I don't think that after the charges are consumed the statue goes away. Guess we don't know yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Army of Darkness View Post
    Yeah there's definitely still hope. It's just best that we become extra critical of any possible monk flaws, while their still in heavy devolpment, and hope Blizzard hears us out. Less we end up with a class that doean't live up to the expatiations that the majority of the playerbase pin it up to be.
    Agreed. Beta is the perfect time to express our opinions on how the game should be developed; to point out flaws in the game so the final product is as awesome as possible, not a time to just play it like it's already been created, just to get a sneak peek at what's in store.

@OP

part of encounters is learning when to use cooldowns at the correct or optimal time. when to click that statue counts as something that will have to be optimized per fight. its something that will be between the monk and whoever is clicking. If you dont organize it as the monk laying the statue, then you're a dumbass.

in LFR it will probably suck because people likely wont listen to a damned word you say, but then, in LFR optimal isnt required at all, so why be concerned there?

as for healing, this is a new healing mechanic that adds one hell of a lot more mobility and position requirements to a healer's job, a well played monk (theres that thing again that people call SKILL) can do great healing by combining a few damaging abilities to roll out some extra heals.

the other abilities like the 3 mists heals, uplift, the tier 5 talents like chi bind, chi serpent, and chi torpedo are all awesome shit.

almost all of the monk's damaging abilities (which all also cause healing btw) do NOT require a target, the only exception i can see could be jab.

healing also does not require melee range, and as a mistweaver that wouldnt be my spot of choice to heal from.

stop making a mountain out of a mole hill, its new, its exciting, and if you dont like it then go play something else.

10+ Year Old Account
    The Tiger Statue is interesting but seems like it could be annoying. It'll have the exact opposite problem as Lightwell (every dps will want to click it). I also wonder, considering it has a cast time, the dps difference between the passive damage vs on-effect damage. Since it can be placed at range, I could see a Monk putting it opposite the raid (out of reach of dps lol) so the passive damage can get the lusted boost. But that's a lot of assumptions. It seems like it can be annoying though if the Monk has to keep dropping it because dps are using it up quick (similar to how utterly annoying it is when Water Shield consistently gets chewed up fast on some fights).

As for the healing to dps thing...I like it. We have 5 dps specs that follow the basic healing model. Some have dps to heal elements but they're sparse (Pallys) to completely optional (Shammies, Disc Priests). This the first new healing class we've gotten and Blizz needed to spice things up and try new things out. It's not going to appeal to everyone but not everyone likes Druid healing either. There's going to be plenty of people who will love Monk healing.
    Last edited by Bavol; 2012-03-19 at 07:13 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    The creepy house from the opening of classic Scooby Doo
    I have a PvP monk concern. Will the monks become the next monk twink, killing people within seconds. God, i don't want to see what people do with macros.... we are all gonna die.......

10+ Year Old Account
    monk dps sounds interesting at this point, but remember, alpha is alpha and these will all probably be changed in some way before release, or beta for that matter. I'm curious to see what, if any, big cooldowns windwalkers will get. also the rope spear thing looks awesome

I am throwing in an overwhelming vote for Monk dps healing.

If its done right it will grab many players who would of never considered healing. Some of us don't want to stare at green bars and cast individual heals. If you want to heal that way you can play a Druid, Pally, Priest or Shaman. Lol.

Blizzard has stated they had plans to create a healing mechanic that will draw more players to healing. The Mistweaver Monk is this plan IMO. I just hope they stick to their guns.

Would love to see a healing style where you can put out "efficient" heals while doing melee attacks, good statue placement, timing on releasing orbs, and the occasional direct heal you might need to put out. This is a healing class I would make my new main.

I am throwing in an overwhelming vote for Monk dps healing.

If its done right it will grab many players who would of never considered healing. Some of us don't want to stare at green bars and cast individual heals. If you want to heal that way you can play a Druid, Pally, Priest or Shaman. Lol.

Blizzard has stated they had plans to create a healing mechanic that will draw more players to healing. The Mistweaver Monk is this plan IMO. I just hope they stick to their guns.

Would love to see a healing style where you can put out "efficient" heals while doing melee attacks, good statue placement, timing on releasing orbs, and the occasional direct heal you might need to put out. This is a healing class I would make my new main.
    If you want to go DPS, go play a DPS. Stop mucking up healing. If you don't like healing, you don't have to play a monk, or any other healer. But if you're going to heal, you are going to have to do some staring at little green bars.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think
    Touch of Death
    4 Chi, Melee Range, Instant, 1.5 min cooldown
    Requires Ox Stance, Tiger Stance
    You exploit the enemy target's weakest point, instantly killing them.
    Only usable on non-player targets who have equal or less health than you.
    Is the most broken ability. It looks awesome on first glance, but if you look closely you'll see that it'll only be useful for when you're solo grinding mobs out in the world. It doesn't work in PvP (and rightly so) and in raids/groups by the time you get something at your HP level, that something will be dead before you even have time to hit that button.

Basically all this ability is is an instant grind mob kill every 1.5 min when you're grinding a daily or something.
    "It's not what we don't know that gets us into trouble; it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." ~ Mark Twain
    "The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time" ~ Jesus of Nazareth
    "把它放在我的屁股,爸爸" ~ Dalai Lama

If you want to go DPS, go play a DPS. Stop mucking up healing. If you don't like healing, you don't have to play a monk, or any other healer. But if you're going to heal, you are going to have to do some staring at little green bars.
    Your missing the point entirely. Need to think outside the box. There is not one set way to do things. Of course you would need to keep track of group health that's your job. But your method in how you heal is what's looking to change with monks. It's happening so you might as well get with the times.

Evolution is a good thing in an MMO. Blizzard wants to make tanking and healing more desirable to a wider player base. Changes like this are how it's done.

10+ Year Old Account
    Faulty logic.

If you want to play a pure healing class, then there is already 5 specs to choose from in the game. The monk is a fresh new approach that WILL grab people who enjoy that way of healing. If it doesn't suit you, THEN DON'T PLAY IT. Go choose 1 of the other 5 specs and shut your whine hole.

The Monk healing style wasn't designed to grab everyones attention, it was designed to grab the attention of those who prefer that way of healing. And guess what? It's working. I have proof right here because right now I play a Lock and when MoP comes out I will be switching to a healing roll because of the Monk. That's 1 less DPS and 1 more healing right here. Thank the Monk healing tree for that.
    "It's not what we don't know that gets us into trouble; it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." ~ Mark Twain
    "The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time" ~ Jesus of Nazareth
    "把它放在我的屁股,爸爸" ~ Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by Sengura View Post
    Faulty logic.

If you want to play a pure healing class, then there is already 5 specs to choose from in the game. The monk is a fresh new approach that WILL grab people who enjoy that way of healing. If it doesn't suit you, THEN DON'T PLAY IT. Go choose 1 of the other 5 specs and shut your whine hole.

The Monk healing style wasn't designed to grab everyones attention, it was designed to grab the attention of those who prefer that way of healing. And guess what? It's working. I have proof right here because right now I play a Lock and when MoP comes out I will be switching to a healing roll because of the Monk. That's 1 less DPS and 1 more healing right here. Thank the Monk healing tree for that.
    Here Here. Make that 2 new healers. 2 less dps. All due to the potential this new method of healing has. :-)

Faulty logic.
    Just turning the "if you don't like it, don't play it" logic around.

If you don't like healing, don't do it, don't ask for a way to do what you already do (DPS) while healing.

If you all really hate healing so much that you want to be able to heal without ever looking at bars or casting an actual heal, and in fact just basically playing a DPS class except your buttons do healing, then maybe you shouldn't be playing a healer.

I'll take the longer queue times.

I'll turn it around again: Imagine if I went in and said "from now on, Warlocks do DPS by selecting low health players in the raid, and casting DOTs or nukes towards the players, doing a little healing, but that healing is reflected towards the boss, doing damage."

Can you imagine some Warlocks might be a little upset because their playstyle just got totally upended? They might complain that they didn't roll a healing capable class for a reason?
    Last edited by Felade; 2012-03-20 at 07:29 AM.