Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    It's not that PC gamers have a "hatred" of console gaming, it's, that console gaming is inherently a casual gamer thing. That doesn't make it "bad". But, when launched, consoles are usually based on tech that is already about a year old by PC measures (since they need to develop on that architecture, while it hits PCs immediately), and they don't improve, unlike PCs. The input scheme is designed around a specific controller, rather than keyboard/mouse and all the macro key variation you can get. Plus, for things like FPS shooters, a mouse provides significantly more detailed and accurate aiming than a controller is capable of.

That's not to say you can't be pro on a console. But it's by console terms. It's like topping DPS in LFR. The tech isn't cutting edge, and the input schemes aren't flexible and accurate enough.

Which is fine, I want to emphasize. I've got a Wii myself. But every time I see a PS3/Xbox 360 gamer diss on the Wii for hardware limitations, my response is always "your consoles were that much if not further behind PCs the day they launched, and have only gotten further behind since". If you want cutting-edge graphics and performance, you game on PC. Consoles will always be the cheaper mass-market version.

10+ Year Old Account
    FPS, RTS, and MMOs don't belong on consoles.

Thirdpersonshooters(TPS), Platformers, and Fighters don't belong on PC.

Xbox systematically ruined the console franchise.

That's my two cents on this subject.

/tinfoilhat
    There are no bathrooms, only Zuul.

Quote Originally Posted by zorbathegreek View Post
    IMO it has to do with consoles stealing titles. Look at an old classic, GTA. PC gaming made GTA a name, made the brand, and played it for years. Then, to combat piracy (more on that later) they move to console. This isn't all bad, it comes out for PC too, but when it does, it's not a PC game. Poorly optimized, bad peripheral support, low res textures, terrible user interfaces. This has happened for many many games. It drives me nuts personally, *cough cough skyrim*. PC gaming is making a comeback IMO, you can just require an internet connection and while people may gripe about it, it is a easy, unobtrusive way to pretty much stop piracy in it's tracks. This is a good thing IMO (And I've pirated plenty of titles in my day). The problem I have with companies moving to consoles to combat piracy is it doesn't work. For one, people mod their consoles and can play pirated games on them. Also, piracy IMO isn't that big a deal. Look at starcraft. Super easy to pirate, plenty of stolen copies over the years. What does this mean? Sure maybe they "lost" some sales (can't assume the people that pirated would have bought it if they couldn't). But what this did for blizzard is drive starcraft to be one of the most played and popular RTS games in history. Players ARE content. They play with their friends, they tell their friends about this great game, some of them will buy it. And in the name of fighting PC gamers feel like they've lost many good games to consolification. And I agree. but I don't hate consoles for it. I hate the developers.
    you will never get rid of piracy sorry its a fools dream to try if man can make it man can break it. also as for the skyrim comment me personally i dont see the big deal yes the computer can make it look better but if all you do is game for the looks then to me your not a real gamer. also HD skyrim on ps3/xbox360 looks awesome. another thing to add is Pc has had controllers since they where made way back in the day so the whole OMG NO GAMING WITH A PAD OR UR A NUM crap is stupid as hell cause you have always been able to go to a place like radio shack and buy a computer pad.

also u can hardcore game on both console and pc its all what you rather do it on and what u can pay for.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Quote Originally Posted by zorbathegreek View Post
    IMO it has to do with consoles stealing titles. Look at an old classic, GTA. PC gaming made GTA a name, made the brand, and played it for years. Then, to combat piracy (more on that later) they move to console. This isn't all bad, it comes out for PC too, but when it does, it's not a PC game. Poorly optimized, bad peripheral support, low res textures, terrible user interfaces. This has happened for many many games. It drives me nuts personally, *cough cough skyrim*. PC gaming is making a comeback IMO, you can just require an internet connection and while people may gripe about it, it is a easy, unobtrusive way to pretty much stop piracy in it's tracks. This is a good thing IMO (And I've pirated plenty of titles in my day). The problem I have with companies moving to consoles to combat piracy is it doesn't work. For one, people mod their consoles and can play pirated games on them. Also, piracy IMO isn't that big a deal. Look at starcraft. Super easy to pirate, plenty of stolen copies over the years. What does this mean? Sure maybe they "lost" some sales (can't assume the people that pirated would have bought it if they couldn't). But what this did for blizzard is drive starcraft to be one of the most played and popular RTS games in history. Players ARE content. They play with their friends, they tell their friends about this great game, some of them will buy it. And in the name of fighting PC gamers feel like they've lost many good games to consolification. And I agree. but I don't hate consoles for it. I hate the developers.
    GTA 1 came out on the Playstation just 2 months after it came out on PC. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_T...o_(video_game)

---------- Post added 2012-03-20 at 09:25 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    It's not that PC gamers have a "hatred" of console gaming, it's, that console gaming is inherently a casual gamer thing. That doesn't make it "bad". But, when launched, consoles are usually based on tech that is already about a year old by PC measures (since they need to develop on that architecture, while it hits PCs immediately), and they don't improve, unlike PCs. The input scheme is designed around a specific controller, rather than keyboard/mouse and all the macro key variation you can get. Plus, for things like FPS shooters, a mouse provides significantly more detailed and accurate aiming than a controller is capable of.

That's not to say you can't be pro on a console. But it's by console terms. It's like topping DPS in LFR. The tech isn't cutting edge, and the input schemes aren't flexible and accurate enough.

Which is fine, I want to emphasize. I've got a Wii myself. But every time I see a PS3/Xbox 360 gamer diss on the Wii for hardware limitations, my response is always "your consoles were that much if not further behind PCs the day they launched, and have only gotten further behind since". If you want cutting-edge graphics and performance, you game on PC. Consoles will always be the cheaper mass-market version.
    Neither graphics nor input make them casual.

Really, the power of the technology behind them is about the easiest argument to refute in this discussion as anything. You could at least mention accessibility, or ease of use, or cost.
    Last edited by Caiada; 2012-03-21 at 02:26 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Caiada View Post
    Neither graphics nor input make them casual.
    When a large part of the competitive gaming market deals with peripherals and hardware performance, and those consoles are marketed similarly against each other, I'm going to just say that that's just not true.

When a large part of the competitive gaming market deals with peripherals and hardware performance, and those consoles are marketed similarly against each other, I'm going to just say that that's just not true.
    If you mean competitive as in competitive gaming, I'd still argue against that. There's, for example, just as much if not more competition in Halo as in most competitive PC titles. Cross-platform is essentially irrelevant, because no, that isn't usually competitive and doesn't exist for a reason.

Most tech upgrades are also essentially irrelevant besides making games prettier.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Caiada View Post
    If you mean competitive as in competitive gaming, I'd still argue against that.
    If you look at the top-end players, there's a reason they sponsor for various peripherals companies, and want things like mechanical keyboards to pick up that fraction of a second per keypress.

Because the peripherals make a difference. It's no different than an athlete wearing aerodynamic gear to shave fractions ofa second off their lap time.

Edit: This is also why you don't see shared servers for FPS games like Call of Duty, with both PC and Console players. Because the tech advantage gives PC players an unfair edge in any match. They've tried it, and it doesn't work unless you artificially limit the PC input to the same limitations as the console controller.
    Last edited by Endus; 2012-03-21 at 02:31 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    It's a two-way hate. It's just a bunch of people who want to push their way of thinking on others through harsh words.

Yes, the hardest of the hardcore gamers who actually go professional will be better on the PC than consoles. StarCraft's skill ceiling is higher than Halo's.

Don't worry though, since nobody in this thread will reach either ceiling.
    Last edited by Simca; 2012-03-21 at 02:31 AM.
    Global Moderator | Forum Guidelines

It mainly has to do with PC gamers being "smarter" than console gamers, even though it is true for most... there are very vocal people from both smart and unsmart PC gamers. Unfortunately those buying prebuilt PCs from Bestbuy are the ones always talking mad shit.

If you look at the top-end players, there's a reason they sponsor for various peripherals companies, and want things like mechanical keyboards to pick up that fraction of a second per keypress.

Because the peripherals make a difference. It's no different than an athlete wearing aerodynamic gear to shave fractions ofa second off their lap time.
    I don't think that at all affects some supposed casualness of consoles, unless I'm really missing something. There are always things to improve; that isn't somehow dependent on technology.

10+ Year Old Account
    The PC elitism is always hilarious and good for a few chuckles.

I grew up on a mix of both, but consoles always allowed me to play games with friends, so I stuck with them. Then WoW came along and it had newer and cooler ways to play with friends. I definitely prefer the controller over a keyboard in just about every other style of game though.
    I like sandwiches

Not sure what reasons other people have, but for me it's very straightforward -- when what would have been a PC-only game in the past is designed with a console in mind, certain constraints are inevitable, thus cheapening what could have been a better overall experience gaming experience on the PC.

Take Skyrim's menu navigation controls, for example. They are a case study in how NOT to implement a menu-driven system for the PC. Of course, it makes perfect sense if you're trying to muddle through the various sub-menus with a controller.

The fact of the matter is that keyboard + mouse allows for much more flexibility in terms of how you can control and manipulate your game and character. Much of this flexibility is lost when a game is ported to console.

A secondary reason (and more of an opinion than the above) is the perception from game studios that console players are more of an instant-gratification and less sophisticated market. This ultimately impacts the PC's game design, given the common market.

I shudder at the thought of a smart-phone app driven video game market. Fuck that noise.
    Retired GM of Temerity - US Top 50 raiding on a strict 3 nights since Ulduar. Check us out!
    https://www.wowprogress.com/guild/us/hyjal/Temerity

10+ Year Old Account
    I play PC games and console games *World asplode*

I think its more abt the fact that when this generation of consoles came most of the games we got was console ports and bad ones.. and the games that were done for pc were mostly dumbed down so they could basicly sell the same game to consoles and PC..

Nowdays I'm mad for consoles in general for holding pc gaming back with their old tech.

I just hope that developers would keep this trend up that they are brinding the support back to the PC, excluding bioware and ubisoft ofc which seem to go to the exact opposite direction.. or well ubisoft cant really go futher anymore..

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by stuck4cash View Post
    Tend to be younger? I'm sure you have some actual statistics to back that up?

I don't believe the hate actually exists all that much. Obviously there's some people that hate console gamers (and the other way too I might add!) but it's unwarranted.

Personally I have both (ps3, wii and multiple computers) and find that some games are better suited to one platform or the other. I find that sports games, platformers and racing games suit console (ps3 anyway) better whereas FPS, strategy and anything online are better suited for PCs. Consoles are also a must for multiplayer games as a LAN doesn't have the same social impact as sitting there (and nudging!) next to each other.
    It's common sense that console gamers are younger on average. I'm a younger guy and when I was a kid everyone had a PS2 or an Xbox... not a single kid played their games on a gaming PC. Teenagers which make up a large portion of the gamer population don't have the money to spend on an 1000 dollar PC, so a 300 dollar Xbox is much more affordable for their parents and themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by inux94 View Post
    I hate the console because it dumbs down perfectly fine games like Diablo 3, Call of Duty, Mass Effect 3, Counter Strike GO into a pile of mess.

I hate the majority of console players because they're narrow-minded people who think the console is more technologically advanced than PC/being scumbags in general
    the majority of console gamers think an Xbox 360 is more advanced than a gaming PC? Yeah I've never met anyone who in an arguement of PC vs. console said that the consoles were technologically better.... As for a console dumbing it down... if you mean makes it easier, then you are completely stupid, so I hope you mean that developers don't want to take the time to take advantage of the PC's power, but that's really the developers fault and I can't blame them with piracy being such an issue.

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by UnCorpse View Post
    Expecting people to hate PC gamers in non-pc forums is as frequent as the opposite.
    then you are assuming console gamers have the ability to:
    - switch on a PC
    - open Internet Explorer (they bought a prebuilt Dell PC with a big stick saying "New Model", using another browser is asking too much)
    - register to a forum

console gamers are younger, it's a fact

kids won't ask their parents for a gtx 580 on christmas, they want "teh XBox"

It goes both ways with console gamers being quick to flame or otherwise criticise PC gamers.

There are some basic facts though.
    Consoles are several generations behind in graphics compared to the latest generation of PC hardware so many ports from consoles will be designed around lower capabilities than the PC is capable of, and so will be of lower quality than a game designed with PC in mind.
    That often includes graphics quality and a lack of PC orientated options.

Consoles have fixed hardware so will offer a consistent and predictable experience, no need to check system requirements or troubleshoot performance.
    So are far better suited to those with a lower budget or simply the less knowledgable / technically minded or those that just want it simple.

Both have their advantages/disadvantages and suit different audiences.

Quote Originally Posted by inux94 View Post
    I hate the console because it dumbs down perfectly fine games
    this exactly and some console only games /bad conversions

Quote Originally Posted by Shootandkill View Post

the majority of console gamers think an Xbox 360 is more advanced than a gaming PC? Yeah I've never met anyone who in an arguement of PC vs. console said that the consoles were technologically better.... As for a console dumbing it down... if you mean makes it easier, then you are completely stupid, so I hope you mean that developers don't want to take the time to take advantage of the PC's power, but that's really the developers fault and I can't blame them with piracy being such an issue.
    There is also the point that this console generation seemed to put PC graphics on hold for a rather long time.. the advantages we were getting 5-6 years ago suddenly stoped and only in past years we have gotten actually powerful stuff again.. I mean nobody can really say it was consoles that haulted the speed of which we were getting new hardware.. but ye now those times seem to have gone past cause pc reso is starting to migrate to 16:10 again with 30" screens coming more and more common and there actually being a need for powerhouse graphics cards like 560Ti onwards and HD7850 onwards, to run games smoothly at high resolutions..

I don't hate console gamers at all, but I don't see the point of owning a PS3 or Xbox, unless there are console exclusives you really want. A PC can run all the multi-platform games better, and it has better controls. Or, if you don't like keyboard+mouse, you can hook up an Xbox controller.

I don't think price is much of an issue. Most people are going to own a home PC and a console. If you didn't bother buying a console, it wouldn't cost a whole lot more to build a decent gaming computer.