Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    Much easier to write a much more reliable code that picks a stat randomly for any item, than to write one that starts choosing which stats are allowed on which items, and ends up being unreliable, especially when new items are added.

The frustration of players when getting a drop that isn't useful to anyone (and mind you, almost all of such drops are vendor trash items anyway) is insignificant compared to the frustration of the coder trying to get the monstrous piece of shit code to work. If you doubt me, try staring at thousands of lines of code for 8-16 hours a day five days a week, having your weekends ruined because the code seeps into your head even during your free time, then hitting an impossible snag in the code because of a stupid choice you made instead of going the straight route. It's not that fun.
    Except that the stats on items you loot are not randomly generated each time, they are pulled from a pre-generated loot table (database), which means someone had to actually create the item with the terrible stat itemization, knowing head of time that is was not optimal for the class that was going to use it. Now you are probably correct that the green items in the database were probably generated via a macro, but don't delude yourself into believing that it would take more than one or two lines of code in that macro to prevent medium armor from getting defensive stats.
    Last edited by Ghosty; 2012-03-22 at 08:25 PM. Reason: Double post

Buy a new barrel and a mod. Had the same problem with aim blasters on the empire side.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghosty View Post
    had to actually create the item with the terrible stat itemization, knowing head of time that is was not optimal for the class that was going to use it
    That's not exactly how things work. With thousands upon thousands of items existing in the game, nobody went through every single item and manually placed stats A B and C on them. They were automatically generated.

Now you are probably correct that the green items in the database were probably generated via a macro
    As I said, automatically generated. You calling it a macro, though, instead of a "function", speaks books to me of your knowledge about different code languages.

but don't delude yourself into believing that it would take more than one or two lines of code in that macro to prevent medium armor from getting defensive stats.
    Get back to me on that after you've written at least a few thousand lines of code. Software often acts much like the butterfly effect; change one thing here and it has a ripple effect over the entire code, changing things here and there. I'm pretty sure most coders don't like kludging their code up with things like the "one or two lines of code" you're suggesting.
    Last edited by mmoc3ff0cc8be0; 2012-03-23 at 12:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hai2ufrand View Post
    Buy a new barrel and a mod. Had the same problem with aim blasters on the empire side.
    Yeah ty for remembering that, i saw some rly nice models of endgame aim blasters that i rly would like to use

elara dorne's quest rewards are actually cunning blasters, which is stupid because she uses aim, so I bought a couple aim blasters for her just so I could get an upgrade