10+ Year Old Account
    Rushing Jade wind and Gift of the Ox orbs are quite good when used tanking the boss and adds at least in 10 man Normal. I used a crit build and survived fine once I learned the fight inside and out after not doing it at all on PTR. Took around 5 pulls to get used to Garrosh Meleeing you for so much more than any other boss in Siege but it is manageable. If you want to spit up phase 1 with your off tank and you doing diffrent roles thats fine to but it is possible with planning and good Brew Stacks to solo tank it.

You just cant let the adds get out of control but that was not a problem for my group with strong AoE Comp.

Assuming your chance of getting roro is nil what other two trinkets would you go with? Our raid only ever got one drop of it and that was before I mainchanged from my druid :/

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by honj90 View Post
    Ok, here are just some random thoughts on top of my head:

Are you sure you're not getting gimped during crit RoRo proc? (I honestly think this is the most likely cause).
    it might be an issue but durring the evening i tried other trinkets too and the issue was the same basically

Start tanking Garrosh then have your co-tank taunt him when adds spawn. Due to the way the new vengeance works you'll get much more vengeance from him (single target) than all the adds combined. Which means bigger heals and bigger guards. I would periodically taunt him back especially during add downtime to keep my vengeance high.
    We tried that and our pally tank couldnt get aggro of me if we were grouping up garrosh and adds - might have to try to tank them in to groups to then we will loose cleave etc etc. Generally my aggro problem is well if i get it and im near the mob and using any AOE stuff i get agro back on mob very fast heh.

You are not expertise capped, is that intentional?
    Ive capped soft gap (7,5) and well didnt get to 15% as i dont have any problem with getting/keeping aggro would caping 15% give me more survivability?

Make sure you don't waste any EB stacks. EB is a huge cooldown when tanking multiple adds, don't be afraid to use it just at 3-4 stacks unless you are specifically saving it for a warsong.
    You'll probably feel the need to compulsively purify every red stagger. Don't fall for that trap, only purify very high staggers (100+ % of your total health) and when you are sure you won't let shuffle drop/won't need a guard in the next second.
    Ye i was clearing stagger every sec i could so ye felt for that trap totally.

thx for answers and sry for n00biness im new to monk tanking was dps untill we lost OT and i had to step in :P

After 25 glorious wipes yesterday I have some questions as well. Our best try was 24% p2 and 3rd transition.

First - I forgot to log in my proper gear, normally I'm using 561 helm with tank meta and since yesterday tank cloak (7.5% hit, 15% expertise)

Here are my logs: http://worldoflogs.com/reports/nx1uzx4j4sersw44/

1) What I've seen by myself - my shuffle uptime is low (60%). Though in my defense I was trying to do as my damage on adds (p1) as possible. Though I might be slacking on shuffle too much.

2) I'm trying to purify on yellow and red. Should I wait with it a bit longer then the "light" yellow stagger?

3) Defensive cd - I'm currently running with Dampen Harm, not sure if other would do me more good.

4) Rop for the last phase looks like winner especially with lack of melee tonight.

If you'd have any insight I'd appreciate it especially we have bonus raid tonight to get guy down.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Glutek View Post

We tried that and our pally tank couldnt get aggro of me if we were grouping up garrosh and adds - might have to try to tank them in to groups to then we will loose cleave etc etc. Generally my aggro problem is well if i get it and im near the mob and using any AOE stuff i get agro back on mob very fast heh.
    Wait, you mean he couldn't get aggro from adds or from Garrosh? My co-tank is also a paladin and what we do is I start tanking, move Garrosh to position, we both kind of pick up the adds and he then he taunts Garrosh because we know that adds will naturally end up on me. Very rarely I might accidentally get aggro on Garrosh because our strategy calls for single target DPS but then he taunts him back and problem solved. I never had trouble surviving adds, as long as we properly kill a bunch with each iron star. I guess in addition to our regular cooldowns you could also use armor potion to survive warsong. I never found that necessary but it's an option. (I used two healthstones and a health potion on our kill though)

Ive capped soft gap (7,5) and well didnt get to 15% as i dont have any problem with getting/keeping aggro would caping 15% give me more survivability?
    The short answer is yes. I think there were some people advocating for other stats, but the majority seems to agree that hard-capping expertise is the way to go. Here are two resources as to why:

http://sunniersartofwar.com/blog/201...xpertise-caps/
    http://elitistjerks.com/f99/t131791-...and_Hit_Chance

Both of this websites also have excellent brewmaster guides (I use the weak auras from Sunnier's blog) if you are interested

I hope that helped

EDIT: Also, have you tried using RoP or Leg sweep on adds? I think some of the smaller phase1 adds can be CCed.
    Last edited by mmoc0d1056ec69; 2013-10-01 at 09:22 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    will check the websites now thx mate u helped a lot
    Yes i did use leg sweep to stun them before iron star was incoming just to ensure they will be killed - now (when i cooled off after many wipes) it seems better to use them just to survive
    Last edited by Cuteness; 2013-10-01 at 11:46 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I tanked lfr yesterday on a prot warrior I just geared with mostly timeless gear (~503-505 ilvl with a dodge/parry build). I also have a 530 brewmaster (crit > haste >> mastery with a 2h). The warrior seemed to take a lot less damage, and my dps was only slightly lower than on my monk. I also felt I had more room to screw up because of all the cd's they have. The only problem I had was keeping aggro on all the adds in galakras, my monk picked up threat immediately and nobody could peel them from me. How exactly do monks compare to other tanks this tier?

Hey i seem to have problems with what stats to go for. I mean i like to costum weight of stats in askmrrobot but what amount do i put in for hit (7,5%) exp (15%) agi shaste (4500) mastery/crit stam.

Also i seem to die a lot more then other tanks so i put on more stam and this seems to help however, also what ever i put in askmrrobot it seems to want to put a full gem in like 320mastery i thought it would be better to have half stats like 160mast/120 stam. atm i am just winging it but i would like some advice can someone help me

I have two questions(Armory: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...n%C3%A1/simple)

First: Try using the two 1hers I have equipped or stick to using the 561 staff off Immerseus? Haven't DW'd at all since I made the Brewmaster, just wanted to try uit, but was concerned that it won't be an increase due to the lower Ilvl on my OH.\

Second: How valuable is my 2pt15 with my crit build? Should I be replacing it with 561 pieces or wait until heroic to replace it?

10+ Year Old Account
    askmrrobot it seems to want to put a full gem in like 320mastery i thought it would be better to have half stats like 160mast/120 stam.
    to choose master or crit is main question of many monk tanks mate ut stamina ive heard is only for 25man hc raids its generally betet rto stack mastery over stamina in any form if u want more survivality.

The warrior seemed to take a lot less damage, and my dps was only slightly lower than on my monk
    in my oppinion monks might be betetr tanks over all but they do need more skill - aka they r just less forgiving then other tanks

We got a 5% more nerf =/ laaaaame! DX

The sad part is that is making the tier even less charming.

Damage wise, which trinkets are better for us?
    Last edited by Eijy; 2013-10-02 at 04:18 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vasilisa View Post
    After 25 glorious wipes yesterday I have some questions as well. Our best try was 24% p2 and 3rd transition.

First - I forgot to log in my proper gear, normally I'm using 561 helm with tank meta and since yesterday tank cloak (7.5% hit, 15% expertise)

Here are my logs: http://worldoflogs.com/reports/nx1uzx4j4sersw44/

1) What I've seen by myself - my shuffle uptime is low (60%). Though in my defense I was trying to do as my damage on adds (p1) as possible. Though I might be slacking on shuffle too much.

2) I'm trying to purify on yellow and red. Should I wait with it a bit longer then the "light" yellow stagger?

3) Defensive cd - I'm currently running with Dampen Harm, not sure if other would do me more good.

4) Rop for the last phase looks like winner especially with lack of melee tonight.

If you'd have any insight I'd appreciate it especially we have bonus raid tonight to get guy down.
    1) There shouldn't be a trade-off unless you breath of fire, which is entirely unnessecary, especially if it infringes your ability to keep up shuffle. If I were you I would simply build shuffle, if you see shuffle dropping due to excessive purifying simple stop purifying and use fortifying brew to give you some buffer while building more shuffle.
    I personally use Xuen, but RWJ could be good if you are struggling.

2) Depends on your situation, purifying has minimal use if you are actually topped all the time and healers are not struggling.

3) Use diffuse magic, it has a way bigger impact on the second and third phase than any other talent.

I have seen a LOT of questions regarding tanking Garrosh Hellscream normal so I'm just gonna try to offer some guidance here:

Brewmaster tanking - Garrosh Hellscream

Talents: http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/tool/tal...!101221!QcSqjK
    RWJ is a viable option if you have decent haste as it gives nearly the same damage upgrade on single target as Xuen, Xuen will be a greater benefit if you stack the debuff high with diffuse magic. (Read Kaiadam/Daught's post on RWJ single target dmg). But if you are struggling to keep up shuffle to begin with Xuen will be the easier choice.

Tiger's lust is inter-changeable but preferred as you'll need the speed instantly whenever ported, as well as whenever adds spawn or people get mind controlled.

Phase 1)
    Get shuffle up and keep shuffle up, if your group is stacked as they should be you'll only need to worry about getting adds from one side. You can either dizzying haze or aoe taunt. As soon as the adds are on you SPK instead of jabbing. If stagger gets high before warsong you'll likely not need to worry.
    When Warsong has been popped and many adds are still up you'll want to be more careful, either pop fortifying brew or ask for an external. This first phase should be easy for the healers tho, and you'll want to save as many cooldowns for the next phase as possible.
    SAVE EB FOR ADDS. No point in even using it before, especially if you are not 100% you are gonna have 15 stacks ready for the adds.

Transition phase: Make sure you get your statue up! You can do it while garrosh idles for a second before engaging you. In this phase build shuffle like a mad man. Don't guard unless your raid is suffering as all the damage you take the phase is predictable as can be. Don't waste Zen med on veng soaking as you'll need it next phase.

Phase 2)
    Start with the boss on you, switch on 3 stacks. Once there is 20 seconds left before the whirlwind taunt the boss and pop fortifying. Gain massive vengeance from the stacks and then keep the boss while he spins. Pop Xuen as soon as you taunt, and remember to diffuse magic the storm itself, as stacks will drop during it and the only damage you take will be from the stacks and the storm which will be nullified by Diffuse Magic.
    Let the other tank taunt off you for 3 stacks and keep switching from there on, make sure you tank the boss 8-10 seconds before the whirlwind so you build stacks which you then nullify while tanking the whirlwind (this time with zen med).

Keep guard for high vengeance/high stack moments of danger or when healers are moving/distracted by weapon.

The 3rd you diffuse magic.

The 4th yo have the other tank, tank with his CDs, or ask for a powerful external (PS).

Phase 3)
    You gain an extra debuff and damage every time the stack drops in this phase, so try to be smart about it. Make sure you both tank the boss for a long time with all your defensives at that start of the phase when it is still manageable and save the rapid taunting for when shit gets heavy. Use your offensives then as you'll have high vengeance.
    When the adds that need to be seperated spawns, use your brewmaster taunt to seperate adds, and be communicative with the other tank, as your taunt will be off CD.

Thanks for the tips, I'm sure they'll be useful. Though I have questions: wouldn't kiting be better for the 3rd phase? (dk on boss since the adds spawn in last phase). Second is typical - you use dps cloak on Garrosh & low mastery? (which I see in your profile).

Deleted
    The adds themself don't hurt a whole lot and kiting can make the process of killing them much slower as you'll have to focus 1 target out of a group at a time. DPS should be killing single ones and try to the best of their ability to bring them apart, it'll make the fight a lot easier if done like that.

I used tank cloak for the first kill, and I normally use it. I only changed for clear of the first 8 bosses this week and I intend to use it again on Malkorok. It was rarely needed for me on progession, but it's a really nice safety net and if it avoids just one wipe it'll usually be a worthwhile equip.

I haven't went with high mastery for any fight this tier as all the mechanics that have actually been worrying have been magical (Iron Juggernaut's flame vents, Kor'kron frostbolt/blobs) and it simply wasn't needed on Nazgrim for his execute ability. It entirely depends on your healers and yourself, do whichever makes it easiest for you to execute the mechanics.

As for kiting we were thinking about not dpsing them at all during last phase. With tank cloak I had strange bug yesterday, thats why I'm thinking about using dps one. From time time to when cloak proc'ed I became unable to move (with 'you can't do that while stunned' message), use anything (like hs) or accept summon. Only removing from the group helped. Did any of you had similar issue?

Question: Im thinking of making this my secondary spec I mainly heal but I want a viable 2nd spec.So if im just learning this should I go with a mastery build until im good at it?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Oka555 View Post
    Question: Im thinking of making this my secondary spec I mainly heal but I want a viable 2nd spec.So if im just learning this should I go with a mastery build until im good at it?
    The route I took when I started tanking was to get alot of freaking haste. The major part in playing Brewmaster is making sure you keep your shuffle up. Having lots of haste did atleast help me to make sure shuffle was active and got me in the mindset to also always keep shuffle active.

Once you feel comfortable with your ability to have max uptime on shuffle, you can then start diversifying into either crit or mastery. As people have said, if you play 25-man mastery is probably the way to go. However for 10-man there's really not that many downsides to going crit. This is however really a question of personal preference and both builds are more or less viable in most situations.

Quote Originally Posted by Ihaskitten View Post
    The route I took when I started tanking was to get alot of freaking haste. The major part in playing Brewmaster is making sure you keep your shuffle up. Having lots of haste did atleast help me to make sure shuffle was active and got me in the mindset to also always keep shuffle active.

Once you feel comfortable with your ability to have max uptime on shuffle, you can then start diversifying into either crit or mastery. As people have said, if you play 25-man mastery is probably the way to go. However for 10-man there's really not that many downsides to going crit. This is however really a question of personal preference and both builds are more or less viable in most situations.
    having lots of haste is easier, but it makes you learn to play wrong. You do not need more haste to keep shuffle up ever. 0 haste allows you to guard as much as you want, keep shuffle up, and purify once every 25 seconds (that number might be off slightly, but it's at least a fair bit). More haste does not allow you to keep shuffle up better, it allows you to purify more often. Now, in most cases you should be purifying more often then that. even the 4-6k of haste that is hard to physically avoid provides for tons of purifying. Especially with how rarely you actually get hit as a Brm while tanking, and how often you're not actively tanking (and thus not needing to purigy), if you're short on chi you're probably:
    -not hitting keg smash on cd (most likely scenario)
    -purifying 30k stagger ticks that just make hots overheal you
    -using breath of fire
    -tanking really hard hitting content with the mythical but not terribly obtainable 0 haste

That's also assuming you're not popping heroism, which you are in the beginning of a lot of fights. All the extra chi from heroism getting banked up in the form of shuffle duration is a lot of bonus purifies somewhere in the fight without risking shuffle uptime.

If you're hurting for overall chi as well, you may want to look at your talents. If I remember properly, below 7k haste Power Strikes actually provides more chi per minute than ascension does while feeling less fluid than ascension does. Keep in mind, your job as a BrM when it comes to mitigating damage is to keep up shuffle. Don't waste chi on other things until your shuffle duration is stable and you have time to do more BoK to upkeep it. Breath of Fire is not a novice BrM's best friend.
    Every time you say "Brewmasters need to stay at 40-60% to be optimal" your favorite deity kills 10 kittens. Here is how it actually works from the Sparkle Dragon's mouth
    Play Monster Hunter? Here's my FC: 1779-0791-2717

Thanks Shyama for the awesome Signature

Deleted
    The thing that finally taught me good chi management after 2 months of tanking was soloing stone guards 10 in MSV. I had to juggle KS, SCK and BoF while making sure to never let shuffle fall of and have 2 Chi available for guards (and rotate guards/cooldowns/healing spheres for petrification). I basically ended the fight with 4-5 seconds on shuffle, which is as good as it can get.

The vengeance changes probably made it impossible until you massively outgear it, but I still recommend trying to anyone who has some decent gear and wants to improve his chi management (without taking the new RJW of course, because that makes the rotation trivial).