10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elementalkin View Post
    Mmm, I think that still rightfully belongs to Lin.
    Lin almost made it, but then she decided to fire metal cables at the guy who fights with electric rods. I /facepalmed IRL because that's exactly how the scene had played out in my mind before that encounter even happened, I was saying out loud "Lin don't you fucking do what I think you're going to--OH GODDAMMIT LIN THEY ALL FIGHT WITH ELECTRICITY, WTF DID YOU THINK WOULD HAPPEN".
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

Bloodsail Admiral Brightamethyst's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Am I the only one who doesn't really have a problem with Korra? Sure she's annoying and immature, but it works in this case. She's a moody teenage girl who all her life has had people thinking they know what's best for her and trying to control her life, and it's pissing her off. Big surprise she acts the way she does.

She may have matured a little at the end of last season, but not so much that it would make her a totally different character overnight.

Quote Originally Posted by Brightamethyst View Post
    Am I the only one who doesn't really have a problem with Korra? Sure she's annoying and immature, but it works in this case. She's a moody teenage girl who all her life has had people thinking they know what's best for her and trying to control her life, and it's pissing her off. Big surprise she acts the way she does.

She may have matured a little at the end of last season, but not so much that it would make her a totally different character overnight.
    Well, first of all, the whole thing is cliché as all hell. The whole, "I'm sick of being told what's best for me," is overdone, plain and simple. Plus, her acting like that doesn't work when it's clear to everyone, including her, that she has no idea what's going on or what to do. "I'm sick of you old, experienced people telling me what to do!!" *long pause* "Okay... so what I'm I supposed to do to make the bad stuff be good?" Yeah, doesn't work.

The way she's acting is just them creating character flaws and conflict for the sole purpose of fixing them to give the appearance of development. They do this, rather than build upon what should have already been started from the first book. Instead, she just acts the way she did, and in some cases even worse, than the way she did before.
    I AM the world's first Shadow Mage.

I don't have a problem with her. Yeah, she's whiny, but honestly even though she wants to be independent, she's never had the option to be so she wouldn't know what to do. Every time she's done something, she's had someone's advice or help. She's kind of always been like that, which is why she couldn't airbend until the last episode.

Anyways, I thought whatsisface had too much of the evil vibe. As soon as he started talking about spirit attacks I was like: "Villain."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zorua View Post
    I don't have a problem with her. Yeah, she's whiny, but honestly even though she wants to be independent, she's never had the option to be so she wouldn't know what to do. Every time she's done something, she's had someone's advice or help. She's kind of always been like that, which is why she couldn't airbend until the last episode.

Anyways, I thought whatsisface had too much of the evil vibe. As soon as he started talking about spirit attacks I was like: "Villain."
    I don't have a problem with it but she's meant to be approaching this spiritually. She's just gonna rush in headstrong and it's all going to go wrong

And yeah, if this water tribe chief isn't a villain i'll be shocked

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Azalu View Post
    I don't have a problem with it but she's meant to be approaching this spiritually. She's just gonna rush in headstrong and it's all going to go wrong

The fact that we're predicting this already... I really hope they are going to make this interesting.
    Hey everyone

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Azalu View Post
    I thought straight up that he was the one summoning the spirits. If he can dismiss them, I'm sure he can summon them.

yo spoilers below

beeepbeep seriously don't get sassy if you see some spoilers beyond this point |

I just watched the first two episodes of season two and I hate to say it but they kind of suck..from the second I saw her uncle I just knew he was going to have some sort of shady ulterior motive/possibly be the cause of the spirits(we'll see if its true) and in general the storytelling just felt forced and really not at all genuine. She seems to get mad at everyone for 15 seconds to move the plot along.
    Hi Sephurik

Deleted
    I think the entire point is that you're supposed to think north tribe dude is the evil person here.
    They can't make the villain -that- obvious.
    I mean come on.
    Unless they expect us to expect that it's too obvious, but it was him all along.
    Nickelodeon is smart...

Quote Originally Posted by Zelly View Post
    I think the entire point is that you're supposed to think north tribe dude is the evil person here.
    I mean come on.
    Unless they expect us to expect that it's too obvious, but it was him all along.
    Nickelodeon is smart...
    The best I can think them doing is that he's "possesed" by a spirit or something. Sure, it's so blatantly obvious that it makes you second guess the idea, but the way it's presented would make a 180 look really stupid. Just seeing an evil spirit pouring out of him screaming, "It was me, Korra!!! I was the villain all along!!!" would make more people facepalm than if her Uncle was just an obvious baddie.

I'll be genuinly surprised if they actually do something good with the guy, but at the moment he just looks like Sozin in blue.

Also, watching them agian, I really do hope we see some more imaginative designs for the spirits... At the moment, we have shapeless blob monsters. In AtLA, though we didn't see many, the spirits had their own identitiy. Like Haibi (however you spell it, the panda thing) or Koh for example. These "spirits" look more like rejected Heartless, I half-expect for Korra to pull out a keyblade and monologue about darkness and hearts...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zonas View Post
    The best I can think them doing is that he's "possesed" by a spirit or something. Sure, it's so blatantly obvious that it makes you second guess the idea, but the way it's presented would make a 180 look really stupid. Just seeing an evil spirit pouring out of him screaming, "It was me, Korra!!! I was the villain all along!!!" would make more people facepalm than if her Uncle was just an obvious baddie.

I'll be genuinly surprised if they actually do something good with the guy, but at the moment he just looks like Sozin in blue.

Also, watching them agian, I really do hope we see some more imaginative designs for the spirits... At the moment, we have shapeless blob monsters. In AtLA, though we didn't see many, the spirits had their own identitiy. Like Haibi (however you spell it, the panda thing) or Koh for example. These "spirits" look more like rejected Heartless, I half-expect for Korra to pull out a keyblade and monologue about darkness and hearts...
    Powerful and old spirits, those where the only type we saw, we never really saw any true dark spirits other than the panda one, so for all we know these are just low level spirits.

and I think that the Blue Sozin isn't the big bad. He is just angry at the imbalance of the spirits, and wants to "help" the southern water tribe regain their spirituality, even if he has to use force. Or he just brought his troops for a vacation at the festival.

Quote Originally Posted by Ridesdel View Post
    Powerful and old spirits, those where the only type we saw, we never really saw any true dark spirits other than the panda one, so for all we know these are just low level spirits.

and I think that the Blue Sozin isn't the big bad. He is just angry at the imbalance of the spirits, and wants to "help" the southern water tribe regain their spirituality, even if he has to use force. Or he just brought his troops for a vacation at the festival.
    None of the "smaller" spirits seem to be evil. The only spirit established that is, if not evil, at least malevolent, is Koh.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Felir View Post
    I thought straight up that he was the one summoning the spirits. If he can dismiss them, I'm sure he can summon them.
    I was like "Really? You're going to open this portal because he says it'll fix everything. Okay, sure. That's obviously not gonna backfire."

So, I credit them for not going with the easy "HAHA YOU ACTIVATED MY TRAP CARD" bullshit that the portal could have been.

Quote Originally Posted by Ridesdel View Post

Sure, he most likly won't be the "baddest" bad-guy, but it's still completely stupid how obvious they made it. His first few lines just clues you in instantly. How pissed off he is about people not "respecting" the traditions, it's not like it's a motive that's never been seen before.

They could have at least been a bit more subtle about his intentions though. Make him sound more sad and lamenting rather than just pissed off. It was obvious that he's some kind of a priest/seer of the Avatar universe, so it would make sense that he'd be upset with the way things are. And then just ending it with, "And everything changed when the Northern Water Tribe attacked," is gut-wrenching in how half-assed it is.

They could easily have showed the actual need for troops to come in, then have it happen gradually rather than a full-scale invasion.

Quote Originally Posted by Zelly View Post
    I mean come on.
    Nickelodeon is smart...
    I just watched the first two episodes of season two and I hate to say it but they kind of suck..from the second I saw her uncle I just knew he was going to have some sort of shady ulterior motive/possibly be the cause of the spirits(we'll see if its true) and in general the storytelling just felt forced and really not at all genuine. She seems to get mad at everyone for 15 seconds to move the plot along.
    I got the impression that, like with Amon, the northern chief is a character that is doing what he believes is right.
    Amon sought to remove bending from the world because he and his brother hand been hurt by its existence, and he hoped to create a new world in his vision of perfection where no one was made to suffer by such power difference.

The northern chief doesn't seem to be inherently evil, he just feels like the south has broken off way too much from the north. And while I'll admit I first suspected that he was behind the spirits appearing out of nowhere, I somewhat changed my mind when it got to the scene where they were heading towards the everstorm, and a single spirit seemed to be following and watching them.

I think he used the appearence of the dark spirits to his advantage in order to try and reunite both tribes under a single banner and steer the southern tribe back onto the cultural path he thinks is "right". I don't think that he is doing it out of malice. Kind of like Tarrlok wasn't a good guy, buy his ultimate goal was to secure the safety of the benders of republic city.

Either way, Korra has much more dynamic and shades of grey villains than the last airbender did. Azula and Ozai were both very clear "IM SUPER EVIL" characters, where Korra's villains are much more a case of the road to hell being paved with good intentions.

Quote Originally Posted by Zonas View Post
    Sure, he most likly won't be the "baddest" bad-guy, but it's still completely stupid how obvious they made it. His first few lines just clues you in instantly. How pissed off he is about people not "respecting" the traditions, it's not like it's a motive that's never been seen before.

They could have at least been a bit more subtle about his intentions though. Make him sound more sad and lamenting rather than just pissed off. It was obvious that he's some kind of a priest/seer of the Avatar universe, so it would make sense that he'd be upset with the way things are. And then just ending it with, "And everything changed when the Northern Water Tribe attacked," is gut-wrenching in how half-assed it is.

They could easily have showed the actual need for troops to come in, then have it happen gradually rather than a full-scale invasion.
    I also expect him to go down the more Tarrlock route, where he'll start to get evil, but then a greater threat will emerge and he'll realize he can't force his ideals.

It should also be noted that the two tribes aren't actually two tribes, and his actions aren't a military invasion.

After the siege of the Northern water tribe, the two tribes became united under a single chief during the rebuilding of the Southern Tribe. He is already the leader of both the Northern and Southern water tribe, not someone trying to suddenly take over.
    Last edited by Hitei; 2013-09-15 at 03:34 AM.

yeah, i don't think i'm gonna be watching much of this anymore. i'm sticking around for a few more episodes, but if the teenager bullshit keeps up, no thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Hitei View Post

I also expect him to go down the more Tarrlock route, where he'll start to get evil, but then a greater threat will emerge and he'll realize he can't force his ideals.

It should also be noted that the two tribes aren't actually two tribes, and his actions aren't a military invasion.

After the siege of the Northern water tribe, the two tribes became united under a single chief during the rebuilding of the Southern Tribe. He is already the leader of both the Northern and Southern water tribe, not someone trying to suddenly take over.
    I don't think it's like that, unless something was said in one of the comics, the two tribes are still separate. At the end of the first Book, Paku only says that they are going to help rebuild the Southern Tribe, since they were rather raggedy compared to the north. Katarra's father is also still referred to as the chief when they first meet him, showing no indication that he gave up the position.

In LoK, Korra's Uncle is only ever referred to as the chief of the Northern Tribe by her father, so we just haven't seen the chief of the Southern Tribe yet.

And sure, it does seem likely that he'll have the whole, "good intentions" route, but it still falls flat considering he's played as an outright asshole the entire time. Like I said before, if they just made him a saddened priest seeing how far his people have fallen spiritually, it would be much more convincing for him to slowly becoming more tyrannical as he does anything and everything to set things right.

Bloodsail Admiral Brightamethyst's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcstunner View Post
    yeah, i don't think i'm gonna be watching much of this anymore. i'm sticking around for a few more episodes, but if the teenager bullshit keeps up, no thanks.
    The main cast of the show is a group of teenagers. What exactly are you hoping will change?

10+ Year Old Account
    The main cast of the show is a group of teenagers. What exactly are you hoping will change?
    I think he's referring more to the annoying teenage attitudes/mentality (the stuff we don't like) rather than their age.
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

Deleted
    I somehow downloaded the episodes where everything was jumbled up. Couple of scenes from one episodes then suddenly scenes from the other, took me some time to figure that was happening.

Now about the content...
    I like the animation, I don't like the spirits how the look and how they fight, something so old should have more knowledge about certain things.
    The characters act like they are 12 years old. I'm hoping they will mature but I doubt that will happen.

I liked it, but three things..

1. Korra was always a bit brash and at times annoying, but these two episodes.. she was just plain obnoxious, making a fuss and argument over everything and anything possible. It was really, really irritating, but probably because it "had to drive the plot".

2. Unalaq seems too obvious of an enemy/bad guy, and I really don't hope they are going to stick to a Saturday Morning Cartoon villain schedule/plotline. It'd be so boring.

3. There was an obvious change in animating style, even for me, who hasn't looked at LoK for quite some time (finished quite a while ago, then didn't re-watch.) and that's because Studio Pierrot is now animating it. The change is very jarring, because everything has traces of Naruto and Bleach (both mangas they animate/animated at one point) and the like all over it. The interesting thing about A:LoK and A:TLA was that the style was very reminiscent of anime, yet not. This style, while Pierrot tries to adapt, still looks very much anime. Such a big shame. >_>