Deleted
    Absolutely fantastic, wonderful episodes !
    Can't wait for the next one, well, in two weeks

[quote]And lol at the scene where Juan frees the dark spirit. Is it not super obvious that anything dark is evil and anything white is good?[quote]
    Yeah, it was kinda obvious that the dark spirit was evil, that was the only flawed thing in this episode.

Loved this episode. The style was interesting, and Juan(?) was a cool dude. Makes it a shame the story had to be in fast-forward instead of being a separate series. But that's just how things go. It's really cool to get some exposure on the avatar -- well, the origins. I feel they did so surprisingly well.

Quote Originally Posted by Lothaeryn View Post
    Hopefully this little 'soul searching' (couldn't help myself) helps Korra to stop being bitchy about every little inconvenience in the end. Kinda irritating seeing her as the average overly emotional teenage girl without ever thinking a step ahead.

It might sound cliché, but this is especially the kind of thing I would see acting as a trigger for Korra acting more mature, and less like -- what she is, a teenage girl. Even seems they kept her personality so obnoxious just to have this be the event to turn her all around. That's what it seems like to me. Anyone else agree?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by feangren View Post
    Absolutely fantastic, wonderful episodes !
    Can't wait for the next one, well, in two weeks

And lol at the scene where Juan frees the dark spirit. Is it not super obvious that anything dark is evil and anything white is good?
    Yeah, it was kinda obvious that the dark spirit was evil, that was the only flawed thing in this episode.
    Really? It's obvious that the dark spirit was evil? My first thought was that it was the moon and ocean spirits fighting in their eternal dance, since you know, one of the koi fish was black and the other was white.
    BfA Beta Time

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    And lol at the scene where Juan frees the dark spirit. Is it not super obvious that anything dark is evil and anything white is good?
    Actually in Asian cultures, black or "dark" as you put it tends to represent good, and white tends to represent bad - reference the yin and yang symbol. This is probably the biggest reason why Kurosaki (kuro meaning black) from Bleach is always seen with a black reiatsu and why his inner demon so to speak is a white version of himself.

What started out pretty boring, shortly turned out to be one of the, if not the best episode of the entire show.
    People don't forgive, they forget. - Rust Cohle

Well, there's the irony that the best episode of LoK had nothing to do with Korra and her own team Avatar...

I'll admit too, the animation of it was just... strange. It made the scenery look not as impressive as it could have, (a little more detail in them would have been nice) and it really stood out when the actual characters didn't seem to follow the same style. Sure, it's nice to have a special art style, but one should have everything follow it. Imagine playing Okami with a wolf torn out of Skyrim...

As great as the backstory was too, I can't help but have a ton more questions. Where does the whole, people learned bending from the moon/animals thing come in? I suppose the first Avatar's timeline was a bit of a pre-history kind of thing, so it could have happened later. I just hope they aren't trying to change established lore to fit their needs.

And I guess we can see where the plot is leading up to. With Unalag being possessed or tricked by Vatu, leading up to another big final battle. And it kind of bothers me... I mean, is Korra really going to fight the mando-evil spirit/demon god thing? Iono, just the idea that Korra is going to fight a greater, more powerful threat than Aang really gets to me, considering all we've seen from her is a weak hothead...

My only real complaint about the backstory is how rushed it kind of felt, like they wanted to get Wan's story done and finished in that hour. Screw Korra, I want to see the Legend of Wan. To see his years as the Avatar up to the point where he died.
    I AM the world's first Shadow Mage.

Deleted
    Where does the whole, people learned bending from the moon/animals thing come in?
    Key thing to note. They learned -Bending- from the moon/animals. Bending was the very martial-arts-ish style that Wan (Don't know why everyone is calling him Juan) was taught by the Spirits, which greatly enhanced his control over fire. The actual elemental control seems to have been granted by the Lion Turtles through Energy Bending, and then the humans eventually learned the art of bending from the animals / moon. That's a lot of people's take on it anyway.

Absolutely loved these 2 episodes. Very nice refresh from the boring main storyline. Also, do you people not see that the lion turtles only gave bending to Juan and a couple others. It doesn't contradict the fact that they learned Waterbending from the moon etc.
    Playing since 2007.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nab View Post
    Absolutely loved these 2 episodes. Very nice refresh from the boring main storyline. Also, do you people not see that the lion turtles only gave bending to Juan and a couple others. It doesn't contradict the fact that they learned Waterbending from the moon etc.
    "In the era before the Avatar, we bent not the elements, but the energy within ourselves."

That's what the lion turtle told Aang in TLA. So the lion turtles giving people the ability to bend elements kind of tosses out the lore from TLA. It would have made more sense if they did energy bending of some sort instead. And some people retained the ability to bend after the lion turtles stopped giving the ability to people. And those people who retained the ability (as well as their bloodlines) learned from the badgermoles, the moon, sky bisons and dragons how to bend the elements.

But the fact that Wan learned to perfect his firebending form from a dragon (possible the rest of his bending from what the original lore states) then I'm ok with that.

Regardless, best episode of the whole show. Wan is number wan! They should've made a series about one of the past Avatar's (like wan) instead of Korra. Like someone else mentioned already...it's ironic that the best episode of the show was the one that didn't include Korra and crew. This shows that the creators of the series didn't lose their touch, just that the main characters are shitty.
    Last edited by Beefsquatch; 2013-10-19 at 03:56 PM.
    Of all losses, time is the most irrecuperable for it can never be redeemed

Quote Originally Posted by Istaril View Post
    Key thing to note. They learned -Bending- from the moon/animals. Bending was the very martial-arts-ish style that Wan (Don't know why everyone is calling him Juan) was taught by the Spirits, which greatly enhanced his control over fire. The actual elemental control seems to have been granted by the Lion Turtles through Energy Bending, and then the humans eventually learned the art of bending from the animals / moon. That's a lot of people's take on it anyway.
    And he did do that fire bending dragon dance thing with an actual dragon.

10+ Year Old Account
    You guys, Korra really hasn't been that bad. You're just bothered that she is a bit brash with her decision making, you could say Sokka was too until Book 2. Korra was kept in seclusion for 16 or 17 years and you think she has no right to be pissed off at the people who did that to her? I mean of course she has bad decisions because she never really had to make any in the first place.
    Hey everyone

Quote Originally Posted by Widow Maker View Post
    That's what the lion turtle told Aang in TLA. So the lion turtles giving people the ability to bend elements kind of tosses out the lore from TLA. It would have made more sense if they did energy bending of some sort instead.
    I mean the lion turtles did energy bend, it's just the people didn't. So the lion turtle from TLA wasn't lying. The lion turtles in Wan's legend bent the energy in people to allow them to bend the elements; the same as, Aang bent the energy within Ozai to take his ability to bend away.

They had to be going for Spirited Away with the oasis though. They even had (English version) Haku be the Aye-Aye spirit.

Quote Originally Posted by Drikkink View Post
    They had to be going for Spirited Away with the oasis though. They even had (English version) Haku be the Aye-Aye spirit.
    In a panel with Konietzko, he said Spirited Away was the inspiration behind these 2 episodes.

"At that, Varney said she was “so taken with all the spirits” and asked for background about where they came from, to which Konietzko responded that they were inspired by the approach taken by Hayao Miyazaki’s film Spirited Away. Much credit for them belongs to artist Evon Freeman, as the spirits were mostly developed from concept art that she was asked to draw."

http://www.toonzone.net/2013/10/nycc.../#.UmK5UVCsim4
    Last edited by Shadowygoodness; 2013-10-19 at 04:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Aang View Post
    You guys, Korra really hasn't been that bad. You're just bothered that she is a bit brash with her decision making, you could say Sokka was too until Book 2. Korra was kept in seclusion for 16 or 17 years and you think she has no right to be pissed off at the people who did that to her? I mean of course she has bad decisions because she never really had to make any in the first place.
    How she's acting now really doesn't play into how she was treated anymore though. That whole ordeal's done passed. What was learned from it? Nothing. All we saw was that Korra acting like a hateful bitch only helped Unalag and screw everything up.

Now, she has a self-entitled sense of authority and knowledge that doesn't exist, acting like everything she thinks and does is right and doesn't even stop to think.

Now, that's fine, for the first 3 or so mistakes, but when that's her whole character, with no sign of ever changing or improving like a normal person might, it's glaringly bad.

Hell, look at Wan. His past was even worse off, being stuck under the thumb of a bunch of thugs. He acted stupid too, when he "stole" fire and threatened the oasis spirit, or freed Vatu. But he soon learned from his mistakes and began respecting the spirits and helped Rava stop him.

And that all happened in less than an hour... I can accept that Korra would act more brash and headstrong as an opposite to how Aang was, but a character needs to develop. It just seems now they're too afraid to change her thinking she'll look too much like Aang. And it's just annoying to watch, especially when she's never actually benefitted from her acting like this.
    I AM the world's first Shadow Mage.

We now know Unalaq motive. To free the Veto (is that his name) the ancient dark spirit from his prison and he has been giving unalaq evil spirits to set up his brother and take control and trick Korra into opening the southern portal.
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    We now know Unalaq motive. To free the Veto (is that his name) the ancient dark spirit from his prison and he has been giving unalaq evil spirits to set up his brother and take control and trick Korra into opening the southern portal.
    Raava and Vaatu.

Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    The real question now is whether Unalaq is being manipulated by Vaatu or if he's simply the bad guy who's working with Vaatu.

Anyway, watching these two episodes made me a little disappointed at how one-dimensional the main characters in LoK have been in contrast, especially Asami and Bolin. I also haven't been a fan of how snarky they made Lin Beifong this season.
    Last edited by Basmothh; 2013-10-19 at 05:43 PM.

Still waiting for Nick to upload the new episode to their site, but for some reason they completely skip part 1 and do part 2 first.

Deleted
    Oh my ..

i think i'm lost again.