BETA Pally lvl 75 tier Talents for Pve Ret

I'm not in BETA yet and am going by wowhead's current tooltips, correct me where I'm wrong.

Sanctified Wrath: Hammer of Wrath has no cooldown.

Holy Avenger: Abilities that generate Holy Power will generate 3 charges of Holy Power for the next 20 sec.( 2 min cooldown) aka Zealotry

Divine Purpose: Abilities that cost Holy Power have a 15% chance to cause your next Holy Power ability will consume no Holy Power and cast as if 3 Holy Power were consumed.

Of these three options it strikes me that Sanctified Wrath will never be able to come close to the holy power generation of Holy Avenger and as such seems like a niche pvp talent, though its role in pvp is completely up in the air still with the changes to ret's ability to slow and gain more speed boosts.

Holy Avenger's worth seems rather obvious as it is now just a zealotry clone, I would guess we just save it to line up with Guardian/Avenging Wrath on short and medium length fights, and pop it on cooldown on long ones.

Divine purpose seems to be in a weird spot, because they greatly reduced the list of attacks that can proc it while keeping its proc chance and 8 second duration the same. At the same time our holy power generation was increased considerably and boundless conviction was added allowing us to store more holy power even beyond 3, which we would/could do while divine purpose is active. The only situation I can think of where this talent could be better than Holy Avenger is on a fight with no segments long enough on target to do a complete burn....but even then that is rare. Has anyone attempted to simulate how many chances to proc DP we would have over the course of a 5-7 minute fight with the new system?

Does anyone on the ptr seem to have a clear answer one way or another between holy avenger or Divine purpose for even just a single target fight? or are people not even touching this topic so early into beta?

From a Protection perspective and using Divine Purpose, it's proc rate (and by relation, number of moves that proc it) are reduced considerably from live. I was lucky to proc it ten times in a dungeon boss encounter, but that might also be because I was missing so much hit and expertise.

Keep in mind Holy Avenger can also give you the instant three holy power from Judgment just as well as it can Crusader Strike or Hammer of the Righteous. You have two moves which can proc it -- as Protection, you can also proc it from a Grand Crusader proc (so I would assume any proc based HP generation for Ret would do the same). To me it's a clear winner if only for it's convenience versus RNG but I'm not sure how it'll rank in a proper number crunch.

Edit: I think Hammer of Wrath also generates HP as Ret? That's three moves there, assuming you're in the execute range.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BDF View Post
    snipz
    I just got in today. I was going to test these. I'm assuming that Sanct Wrath might not actually be that bad. (Hammer is going to hit harder than any other HP-generator.)
    I'm sure they will be mathed out at least by launch, but I know I'm probably not going to touch the current divine purpose. The 3 minutes I spent beating on the dummy before maintenance, I was really, really liking the lack of RNG. A lot.
    We'll have to see in about an hourish if I, or someoen else in the beta, can test this out. =)

Quote Originally Posted by CaptUntsAhts View Post
    (Hammer is going to hit harder than any other HP-generator.)
    This I had not heard. Has crusader strike damage gone down? Was hammer damage buffed?

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    This I had not heard. Has crusader strike damage gone down? Was hammer damage buffed?
    I'll do more number comparisons when I can actually get back on for you guys, but I had heard that Sanct Wrath was actually allowing for nasty damage. Again, servers are down currently, or I would go look, but execute-like abilities have a history of hitting like trucks. We'll see in a bit. =)

Edit: On live currently, I'm getting ~27kish CS's with ~30k Hammer's, self buffed. (CS is including Mastery, and since new BOM = 5 mastery, CS may actually hit harder, again, this is all speculation, want servers back up.) XD
    Last edited by Valedus; 2012-03-31 at 12:40 AM.

I'm on PTR and did some testing. And there is a thread with Requital and other fine paladins discussing this. Sanctified Wrath is the best one for ret.

I did some Tanking too, and took Divine Purpose as prot. It procced really often. With the T13 2Set - Bonus HoPo generation is a nobrainer, but TV is kinda crappy now.

Quote Originally Posted by Funky303 View Post
    I'm on PTR and did some testing. And there is a thread with Requital and other fine paladins discussing this. Sanctified Wrath is the best one for ret.
    Can you link the thread please?

Deleted
    Can you link the thread please?
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...atings-and-Ret