Warlocks: New Ranged Tank Model?

Looking at the glyph of demon hunting, Soulshatter is a ranged taunt and warlock is a ranged class. Combine that with the threat and armor and potentially could we be a model for a range tanking class. I know the weird part is that melee mobs will try to run up close to you, and it would take a unique mechanic to alter that behaviour.

I'm just speculating because I remember the days of lock tanking illidan and KJ!

Any thoughts are much appreciated!

The main way we will have of regenerating Demonic Fury is a melee attack, if we tank it will be in a melee capacity.

10+ Year Old Account
    im still not completely convinced this idea people have that warlocks will be allowed to tank in the sense that our current tanks do. personally it just sounds like they are sorta buffing a minion to do what a hunter can do with tenacity pets.. sure when you out gear something.. a hunter can easily tank a boss.. but is that preffered? not even hardly or hunters would have a tank role.

that being said.. ive not fully read every single talent and spell for each spec here.. maybe they completely redid a spec solely for tanking? if so grats.. that should be fun.. but if not.. then dont get blinded by what one single glyph offers.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/to...17075?page=1#1

Linked it from other thread, read this when you have a chance to, even just skim the points, it paints a pretty clear picture that they intend us to be able to tank.

10+ Year Old Account
    well.. hopefully warlocks can really be more then a summons stone now. lol.. J/K. really.. it does sound like a very interesting twist to you guys. hope it feels good when more people get to really test this out.

Lock's Demonology tanking is an abominion many unskilled and underage players have from a lot of time, this glyph can perhaps go some way in that direction, wich could have some niche of fun to solo content and tanking 5 men when overgeared, in raid and more competitive settings it will be stupid and unfair to all those who play demonology as a dps spec (the vast majority of demo locks) to steal theyr favourite playstyle, and create a lot of problems with existing tanking classes/specs.
    Last edited by volrat; 2012-03-25 at 03:30 AM.

Deleted
    OMG, a tank can basically be reduced to damage mitigation and Threat management. With that glyph demo warlocks are on par if not above certain tanking classes, like paladins. What the hell are Blizzard planning here? It's obvious the glyph gives tools to the warlock that directly relates to tanking. Is blizzard trying to create a tanking specc for warlocks??

for people that wonders what the glyph does:

Demonic Fury now reduces damage taken instead of increasing damage dealt. In addition, while using Metamorphosis, Soul Shatter taunts your target, Twilight Ward will absorb all schools of damage and Demonic Slash is shorter range and generates fury.

In addition to what it says, the glyph does a few other things behind the scenes

*600% increase to threat generation while in Meta
    *Meta no longer drains Demonic Fury
    *Only the Hand of Gul’dan spell will require mana so there will be no need to ever life tap.
    Last edited by mmoc917f750418; 2012-03-25 at 03:22 AM.

Ive been looking for lock tanks for a while now. I really want a tank that has a pet OT. It would be sick to have meta as a perma form, searing pain to build threat, cleave in melee, taunt etc. But also have a void walker (with increased health) OT something for you like say youre in an encounter a boss with a special that does a ton of upfront damage to the MT. The Warlock could then use demonic fury having all threat move to the voidwalker and have the void take the huge hit.

15+ Year Old Account
    They're not trying to create a Warlock tank spec per say, at least as far as we can see. They JUST separated Feral DPS and Feral Tank. If they intended Warlocks to be raid relevant tanks, they would split the spec.

I'd love to be proven wrong and have them split Demonology in an upcoming Beta patch into a tank spec and DPS spec, but right now it ain't happening.

I'd imagine they're experimenting with the glyph to see how Demo tanks could function potentially, and based on that they would take further action.
    Last edited by Simca; 2012-03-25 at 03:42 AM.
    Global Moderator | Forum Guidelines

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Simca View Post
    They're not trying to create a Warlock tank spec per say, sorry to burst your bubble. They JUST separated Feral DPS and Feral Tank. If they intended Warlocks to be raid relevant tanks, they would split the spec.

I'd love to be proven wrong and have them split Demonology in an upcoming Beta patch into a tank spec and DPS spec, but right now it ain't happening.

I'd imagine they're experimenting with the glyph to see how Demo tanks could function potentially, and based on that they would take further action.
    \

I hate to say it, but my guess is you are right.

The more time goes by, the more I'm starting to get convinced they just won't allow us to queue as tanks for appropriate level content, which would just kill any hope of the spec being viable. They'll just keep it a fun little glyph with it's own niche, and watch what people do with it and how the spec tries to work on the different levels of content and then maybe after Mists decide to make it more than just a glyph. This of course provided that enthousiasm for the glyph stays at at least some level as it is now and isn't just people falling for this just cause it's new and different.

10+ Year Old Account
    Blizz can't balance it. They're trying to be heroes, and try to make some new shinies for people in the form of giving a class a new role, and they're going to screw with the entire spec. Look at it now in beta. They think they can take a damage dealing spec, slap a glyph on it to reduce the damage you take and give you a taunt, and not expect it to be OP. This is going to be the bane of warlocks for a long time. It's going to create some serious drama. Demo locks are walking walking level 90 Illidans on beta atm.

Look at this shit. A shaman opening up on a demo lock. It's hilarious.

http://youtu.be/juidpkdexGY
    Last edited by Seezer; 2012-03-25 at 04:25 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Seezer View Post
    Blizz can't balance it. They're trying to be heroes, and try to make some new shinies for people in the form of giving a class a new role, and they're going to screw with the entire spec. Look at it now in beta. They think they can take a damage dealing spec, slap a glyph on it to reduce the damage you take and give you a taunt, and not expect it to be OP. This is going to be the bane of warlocks for a long time. It's going to create some serious drama. Demo locks are walking walking level 90 Illidans on beta atm.

Look at this shit. A shaman opening up on a demo lock. It's hilarious.

http://youtu.be/juidpkdexGY
    hahaha, that is indeed amusing. But keep in mind this is beta, and it's well documented that the Glyph that makes this possible is bugged and increases the damage, which it shouldn't. Survivability is impressive though, I must say.