Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Sendai View Post
    Heh, I wish I could be 17 again! But it's good that your energy levels and libido are fine.

So try to up your calories to at least 2500 a day. If you can go low on carbs, better, but don't make it a top priority. Also, keep yourself active besides all that exercice.
    Is there any chance for you to go to the gym and lift weights? I could help you with a simple plan and once you have leaned out, you could build some serious muscle.
    I would love to go to the gym... but i currently cannot. I struggle to keep everything up including my studies. Tho i do have weights with all kg ranges at home, if that could allow me to start off... and i will do my best to get to the gym in the summer... and then try to fit it into my routine!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by xStandeR View Post
    I would love to go to the gym... but i currently cannot. I struggle to keep everything up including my studies. Tho i do have weights with all kg ranges at home, if that could allow me to start off... and i will do my best to get to the gym in the summer... and then try to fit it into my routine!
    Ok. Then again, start by upping your calories and keep doing what you are doing. Check your weight regulary, but also the mirror. Take pictures of yourself from the front, side and back and compare them time to time. And don't stress, it takes time and you should only start to consider changing things if you haven't lost any weight for 7-10 days and even then it could be just coincidential.

Alright, will do! Thanks alot for your help!

Quote Originally Posted by Heilige View Post
    Insanity (if it's the program I'm thinking of) promotes muscle growth. So while you may be shedding fat, muscle is significantly more dense than fat.
    I think you don't get the point. When he stops measuring his weight and starts measuring his bodyfat, he won't measure the muscle growth. So when he is <for example> 100 kgs now with a bodyfat of 20% and later hes 120 kgs with 10% bodyfat.. when he weights himself he gained 20 kgs (his problem). When he measures his bodyfat instead he sees a decrease of 10% (good). So that is a better form of measuring. Then he can calculate that he had 80kg functional weight and 20 kgs of fat. Now he has 108 kg's of functional weight and 12 kg's of fat.

So when he stops measuring by just weight and starts taking into account bodyfat% he'll see what really happens instead of looking at his weight. Thats the way to see what really happens with your body.

Deleted
    Alright, will do! Thanks alot for your help!
    No problem. Good luck and good effort!

Zykaz the read was refreshing... cheers

More info:
    Height: 186 cm
    Weight: 92.6 kg (as of right now!)

As you have already said, my caloric intake is indeed too low... however i do not feel hungry, which ultimately eliminates the concept of losing weight!

I do acknowledge that my caloric intake should be around 2800 calories in order to lose weight... but i just cannot!
    I can't believe I had to wait til the second page to actually get this information. You should have posted this on the first post and asked for people to help based on it.

Everything else I was going to put Sendai already did.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Demonakat View Post
    I can't believe I had to wait til the second page to actually get this information. You should have posted this on the first post and asked for people to help based on it.

Everything else I was going to put Sendai already did.
    Indeed. People were giving advice totally unaware if the OP was a very short skinny girl (5kg is like 10% of her weight) or a former obese who is still above 200kg (5kg is nothing).

There is one thing. You say you cannot change your diet to take in more calories. Here is how.
    Stop your diet.
    You're eating incredibly healthy, you need to add some fats to your diet to up those calories. Fats are normally the enemy of any diet, but in your case, you need some incredibly greasy food to help you out.
    Add bread into the mix. Whole wheat is healthier, but you want to pack on the calories in comparison to what you're eating now.

It sounds horrible and like a bad idea, but you need to get your body out of starvation mode. That means you eat unhealthy for a week or two. Then go back to eating healthy, but you need to eat MORE than what you are now. Double up on your current portions when you get off of the binge of garbage food you need to eat, you'll be taking in roughly 2500 calories a day, which is what you need.

Edit:
    There's also another way to up your calories. There are high calorie shakes that are designed for people who want to gain weight. You could take those along with eating food.

There is one thing. You say you cannot change your diet to take in more calories. Here is how.
    Stop your diet.
    You're eating incredibly healthy, you need to add some fats to your diet to up those calories. Fats are normally the enemy of any diet, but in your case, you need some incredibly greasy food to help you out.
    Add bread into the mix. Whole wheat is healthier, but you want to pack on the calories in comparison to what you're eating now.

It sounds horrible and like a bad idea, but you need to get your body out of starvation mode. That means you eat unhealthy for a week or two. Then go back to eating healthy, but you need to eat MORE than what you are now. Double up on your current portions when you get off of the binge of garbage food you need to eat, you'll be taking in roughly 2500 calories a day, which is what you need.

Edit:
    There's also another way to up your calories. There are high calorie shakes that are designed for people who want to gain weight. You could take those along with eating food.
    Is it actually necessary to go unhealthy? maybe i could get some more calories on fruits? (banana?)

10+ Year Old Account
    Is it actually necessary to go unhealthy? maybe i could get some more calories on fruits? (banana?)
    that's probably a better idea than eating a super greasy cheeseburger. You figure a medium banana has around 110 calories or so i believe which is quite a bit for a piece of fruit. Other ways to get more calories and good fat are taking in olive oil, avocados, peanut butter(just having a spoonful 3 times a day will up you by around 300 calories), and nuts are also a good way. Here's a nice little read on eating healthy with the right and wrong kind of fats to consume. http://www.helpguide.org/life/healthy_diet_fats.htm

Also make sure you're getting a multivitamin everyday and drink enough water. Sendai hit everything important though, dude knows his stuff. Really do recommend lifting weights or doing some kind of resistance training 2-3 times a week. I did mine in form of resistance bands since they are a hell of a lot cheaper than free weights. Sure the results aren't quite as good but they still get the job done.

Thanks to Scythen for the sig

Do you recommend getting multivitamins? I mean as far as the cons are concerned!! As for the water, i make sure i drink as much as i can!

The guide was a nice read btw !
    Last edited by ~Valen~; 2012-03-29 at 04:16 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Do you recommend getting multivitamins? I mean as far as the cons are concerned!! As for the water, i make sure i drink as much as i can!

cons of taking a multivitamin? Unless you have a health condition(I thought I read somewhere about diabetic but when skimming through didn't see it so might of been a different thread) then I see nothing bad about taking a multivitamin everyday. Just make sure you get a good quality multivitamin and not some garbage like centrum or one-a-day.

In case you are diabetic found this for you on livestrong http://www.livestrong.com/article/33...for-diabetics/

Here's some of my favorite multivitamins if you want to check them out

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/five/muscle.html
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/in/livingmen.html
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/univ/animalpak.html

Just some suggestions.

if you fill up really fast and can't take a lot of calories in the healthy way, it's completely necessary. Sometimes you need to quit your diet for a week or two to get over that plateau. After losing 15 pounds, I was stuck for 2 months at a certain weight, it wouldn't drop. I stopped the strictness of my diet, didn't gain anything back. Got back on the diet, lost another 8 pounds.

Edit: the only problem with eating greasy food is when you sweat it out. But that's like super greasy food. Not just fast food.

---------- Post added 2012-03-29 at 02:11 PM ----------

Definitely get some multi vitamins. I take vitafusion multivitamins, they're gummies. From Kroger or Wal Mart. There are plenty of others, but the only reason I take these is because of the gummy bear like quality they have to them.

As far as Diabetes goes, Cinnamon is good for it. Green Tea as well, I believe.
    Are you type 1 or type 2?
    Last edited by Demonakat; 2012-03-29 at 07:13 PM.

Nope, no diabetes for me, so i'll get multivitamins as soon as possible... cheers for the help
    Last edited by ~Valen~; 2012-03-29 at 07:21 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nope, no diabetes for me, so i'll get multivitamins as soon as possible... cheers for the help
    Yeah, that was my bad. Was a different thread i read that in. So yeah, if you're healthy then definitely pick up some good multis. Try to avoid the pressed tablets and get the softgel kinds instead. Not sure to the validity of it but I hear the softgels are better for your digestive system and liver than the tablets.

Quote Originally Posted by Fogkin View Post
    Yeah, that was my bad. Was a different thread i read that in. So yeah, if you're healthy then definitely pick up some good multis. Try to avoid the pressed tablets and get the softgel kinds instead. Not sure to the validity of it but I hear the softgels are better for your digestive system and liver than the tablets.
    And they're more like candy

Fish Oil actually raises the thermal effect of food making your body burn more calories throughout the day if you take it with a meal. I would definitely take that with a meal.
    (Also known as Omega 3 Fatty Acids.)

Try increasing the frequency of your meals while maintaining the same calorie allowance. Your metabolism may stay at a consistent level if nutrition is spread out throughout the day. If not, look for foods that digest more slowly (oatmeal and some whole wheat breads are an example.)

Drink plenty of water. Water promotes good kidney function. Additionally, check to see if there is an unusually high amount of sodium lurking in your food.

Look for opportunities to engage in a full range of physical activity. Isolated exercises will be the least productive if you have as busy a schedule as you say you do.

See if you can do some of the things in your daily routine while standing. If you are in college, some campuses have gyms included as a perk for students.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcho View Post
    Try increasing the frequency of your meals while maintaining the same calorie allowance. Your metabolism may stay at a consistent level if nutrition is spread out throughout the day. If not, look for foods that digest more slowly (oatmeal and some whole wheat breads are an example.)

Drink plenty of water. Water promotes good kidney function. Additionally, check to see if there is an unusually high amount of sodium lurking in your food.
    That first part is a myth, it doesn't do anything to your metabolism. It just forces you to eat smaller portions and basically kills the awesome meals you could be eating because they're too high in calories.
    Second thing is, he's in starvation mode because he's too big to take in 1300 calories a day. He needs to take in almost double his normal calorie limit to get out of starvation mode, then put his body on a new diet with a higher caloric intake.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    By the way, thanks alot for the replies...

Another thing i wanted to ask is... should i wait till i lose the fat and exercise 4/7 a week and once that's done return to building muscles? I mean i could give up on insanity and try something toned down and then return to it once i have lost my fat! Would that work better?
    No. I started Insanity back last October and encountered the same problem as you. I couldn't lose any weight! At the start, I weighted 202.6 lbs. By the end of week 3, I weighted 198.3. Although I didn't lose any weight, I slimmed pretty rapidly. My wife made comments on my face and mostly my calves; Insanity shredded and toned my calves inside those 3 weeks, slimmed my face, tightened my abdomen, and trimmed my arms.

Insanity makes you sweat profusely, as you're well aware of, from the first minute in until the last stretch at the end. If your body isn't use to that much exertion, and due to the significant loss of water, your body is going to start retaining it. This means that the more water you drink, the more water your body is going to store until it realizes that whats going on is normal; ie. extreme exercise and water loss.

An example (true story): I moved around 1,800 lbs yesterday (2x), down and up 3 flights of stairs over the span of 7 1/2 hours; I sweated the entire time. To stay hydrated, I drank close to 2 1/2 liters of water. I weighted 199.2 in the morning, and weighted 202.5 before I went to bed. I weighted 199.2 this morning with no loss or gain.

Muscle gain doesn't happen over night and you WILL see some muscle deterioration during the first week of Insanity due to the lack of rest. However, during week 2 and week 3, you will feel extraordinary. Your muscles will begin to adapt and strengthen (grow). I'm not saying you can gain 10 lbs of muscle in a month or even two, but you will shred fat like nothing else. Stick with it, bro. It's worth it. The whole point of plyometric cardio is to burn fat and condition (tone/strengthen) your body for longer and longer intervals of exertion. The longer you can go, the better, and you'll see the results!

Like what most of the others have said, take measurements. You'll be surprised. Some people are frightened by the "break-down" phase of a new routine. Break-down is essential to rapid growth and adaptation. Without this conditioning, you can't really hope to maintain. Good luck, bro. Stick with it! And follow the nutrition guide!

That first part is a myth, it doesn't do anything to your metabolism. It just forces you to eat smaller portions and basically kills the awesome meals you could be eating because they're too high in calories.
    Second thing is, he's in starvation mode because he's too big to take in 1300 calories a day. He needs to take in almost double his normal calorie limit to get out of starvation mode, then put his body on a new diet with a higher caloric intake.
    I said "consistent," not "increase." We have no picture of how often the OP eats, how much, what they do after they eat, and when.