Thread: dual specs?

dual specs?

Hi,

Are there dual specs in Guild Wars 2? Lets say if I play a warrior, I might want to play a shield/mace with a hammer in BGs for control however in WvWvW I probably will want to go sword instead and a ranged weapon for some more mobility/range. Is there a quick way I can swap from one build to the other where it changes my utility skills and traits also? Is there something similar to how in WoW your glyphs, talent points and skills are changed with dual spec without much trouble?

Thanks!

Deleted
    Weapons and utility skills can be switched at any point, as long as you're not in combat.

Not sure about how you redistribute trait points though.

You get separate specs for pvp and pve, and you get free respecs in structured pvp.

Deleted
    You can ofcourse swap your weapons and utility skills at any time out of combat. Traits does not appear to be hot-switchable however. Traits is meant to be more of a permanent decision, and you need to go to a city to change them.

Right, I imagined you could do it I just wasn't sure if it was as quick as pressing a button to switch from "Spec 1" to "Spec 2" or if you needed to just reset everything and do it again and then later on when you want to go back, you have to do the same thing, reset and build everything again.

Quote Originally Posted by azthal View Post
    You can ofcourse swap your weapons and utility skills at any time out of combat. Traits does not appear to be hot-switchable however. Traits is meant to be more of a permanent decision, and you need to go to a city to change them.
    U can change major traits in dungeons though...so there is quite a lot of on-the-go change available.

Weapon swaps can completely change how you play the character.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think what he's specifically asking is if you get to save multiple builds to quickly swap to.

I'm also wondering how the separate PvE and PvEp respecs work.

When you jump to the Mists, does it just switch to your PvP build automatically?
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    I think what he's specifically asking is if you get to save multiple builds to quickly swap to.

I'm also wondering how the separate PvE and PvEp respecs work.

When you jump to the Mists, does it just switch to your PvP build automatically?
    Oh.....yh, right. Must read better. Doh!

Errrrrrr.....I think they said you can save. U certainly can save loadsss in GW1...so I'd imagine so.
    Errr....Mif? Source?

"I think what he's specifically asking is if you get to save multiple builds to quickly swap to."
    Yeah that's what I was going for, thanks!

http://www.arena.net/blog/play-your-...and-attributes

In competitive PvP, you have a separately saved trait build and can respec free of charge.
    Don't see why they couldn't do something similar for PvE and WvW.
    Last edited by grandpab; 2012-03-29 at 09:21 AM.

With so many options I imagine there will be better weapon and traits combinations for each and every occasion so it would be cool to be able to save some in a "list of specs" and when you're out of combat be able to quickly switch to one of them based on what you're about to do.

Yh....it should be fine out of combat to swap. Tbh, it was a major drag in GW1 not being able to swap out skills in areas. I can't believe they'd do the same thing in a persistent world.

http://www.arena.net/blog/eric-and-b...ior-and-traits

Q: Given how you want to encourage build experimentation, will there be an easy way to save and load build information in Guild Wars 2?
    Eric: This is an issue that we’re looking at, but it isn’t as simple as it might seem. We don’t want to encourage people to feel that the way they need to play is to constantly switch their builds. That’s a pretty advanced sort of mentality and we can’t balance our game around it. We want easy experimentation, but we don’t want constant build switching. Our trait and weapon swapping systems are both designed with this in mind, so any build saving and loading tools we provide will also have to take this into account.
    That blog is pretty old though...nearly 2 years lol

I can't find the source for this one, but...

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Kerstein
    We read about that one. Generally speaking, this is a great feature because it’s pretty convenient for players to be able to save these things. I know Eric said that we’ll see if we can do that, if it’s even possible. I’m not an engine programmer or even a programmer at all, so I don’t know how easy this can be added, but generally this is a nice feature and if it’s possible, we are going to have it.
    So it sounds like it's something they want to do, but it isn't anything that's confirmed yet, and this close to release if it's not in the game now I'd guess it's not going to be in for release.
    Last edited by grandpab; 2012-03-29 at 09:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by azthal View Post
    Mostly right, trait points themselves are not hot swapable in the PvE world BUT the major traits you unlock at 10/20/30 points in a trait line are hot swapable out of combat and may even be useful to swap say right before a boss in a dungeon if you know boss xxx you need a extra (insert random utility here) so you drop your +5% dagger damage major trait for 10% chance on crit to snare major trait.... obviously just a made up example, but the point is the same, there may be some fights in certine locations that certine major traits work better then others, like if you know your going to be underwater for the next 30 minutes you would want to swap out the +x% dagger damage for something else because you know you can not use daggers underwater.

With the fact that the PvP setups are kept separate from the PvE set ups, and with the major things you would "need" to swap being hot swappable out of combat (utility skills, major trait skills, and weapons), there is no real need for hot swappable dual specs... Its not like other MMOs where "oh I am about to do a dungeon I need to switch to my dungeon spec (aka tank/healer/utility spec)" or "oh I am about to do structured PvP I need to switch specs". "Dungeon" specs are more of what utility skills and major trait skills will be the most useful, Ill hot swap those out, and structured PvP where min/maxing for PvP would make a difference unlike WvW where it can be 100 to 12 people massicers, the PvP spec is separate from the PvE world spec.

Point being they flat out give you a totally separate build for free where it is needed (aka structured PvP) and allow enough hot swappable tools where it would be nice to have but not "mandatory", and honestly because of that I would actually prefer dual specs for PvE not to be added since there is so little actually set in stone without spending a respec fee in town, namely just a few bonus attributes from putting points into a certain trait line.

Quote Originally Posted by soh View Post
    Hi,

Are there dual specs in Guild Wars 2? Lets say if I play a warrior, I might want to play a shield/mace with a hammer in BGs for control however in WvWvW I probably will want to go sword instead and a ranged weapon for some more mobility/range. Is there a quick way I can swap from one build to the other where it changes my utility skills and traits also? Is there something similar to how in WoW your glyphs, talent points and skills are changed with dual spec without much trouble?

Thanks!
    Nope, no dual specs and I hope it will never be..as other people pointed out, you can change your weapons and utility skills at well as well as your "major" 'glyps'.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ue4r...8LuPQZQxq-vYlQ a Thief(or rogue if you will) example.