Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Scientists can now listen your thoughts, literally

http://m.io9.com/5880618/breakthroug...-peoples-minds

Scary development, kinda shocked at the casual io9 comments, theyre usually more... Analyzing. Whats your thoughts, mmo?

Deleted
    they will soon wish they couldn't hear them.

this has 1984 written all over it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    The evidence for leprechauns is immense - do you know how many socks dissappear on the world scale... This means that the chance of leprechauns exists is the same as them not existing - therefore you cannot deny their existence

10+ Year Old Account
    A little misleading.

As of now, they can't actually read the words from your mind.
    In its present state, this technology cannot eavesdrop on an internal monologue playing out in your head; it can't be used to squeeze information out of an uncooperative murder witness; and it can't translate the thoughts of a stroke patient struggling to speak — but it could, and soon. How soon will likely depend on how similarly the brain handles the tasks of perceiving auditory information, and imagining it.

Can't wait to tell people, I didn't say that. That was just my mind talking.

How do you turn it off. My mind certainly wouldn't be enjoyable to read.

If they ever did get to read my innermost thoughts, they'd simply go insane! Mwahahahahahaaaa!

Skelington wants to listen to his own brain when the technology is better developed. He bets it's magical!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Skelington View Post
    Skelington wants to listen to his own brain when the technology is better developed. He bets it's magical!
    maybe his brain thinks in third person too?

Nothing is safe, not even in your own head

10+ Year Old Account
    Well considering that right now this only works with brain surgery, not too worried.

However scientists have also been doing this with MRIs. They'd place a patient in a machine and the patient would see a computer screen the scientist could not see. The screen would show the patient an item and the patient would look at it. Meanwhile the MRI would guess what object the patient was thinking about by matching brainwave patterns.
    Putin khuliyo

How many people expected golds to be the OP when clicking this thread? I did. This is right up his alley.

Anyway, the article is very interesting.

Deleted
    So after a way to quick read, they basically use MRI to know what the person has seen or heard.

As far as I know they have been doing this for years, making what is basically a unimaginable map of the brain with all your thoughts. You think of something specific parts of your brain will light up because it gets pumped with blood or something (I'm not a biologist so, but you get the picture)

That or I truly read it to quick and miss anything new.

Quote Originally Posted by orissa View Post
    Well considering that right now this only works with brain surgery, not too worried.

However scientists have also been doing this with MRIs. They'd place a patient in a machine and the patient would see a computer screen the scientist could not see. The screen would show the patient an item and the patient would look at it. Meanwhile the MRI would guess what object the patient was thinking about by matching brainwave patterns.
    They show a similar techology in house, It studies how the brain processes images for hours, then u leave the machine running and see what it thinks the person is imagining

10+ Year Old Account
    They can read what you hear at the moment of recording your brainwaves. Good thing.

But there is still a long way to go before I can be prosecuted for "considering a terror-attack while high as a skyscraper". ^^
    If you add me on Steam, Skype or whatever program/client I share my info for, please write something to identify you in the "Dude/gal wants to join your club"-message. Just so I know that an actual human is on the other end :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    A little misleading.

As of now, they can't actually read the words from your mind.
    That's just what they want us to think! *tinfoil hat*

OT: i think this has great applications can't wait to see its developement

Basically if you let them trepan your skull and put electrodes directly on your brain, they can look at the response of your brain to hearing words and 90% of the time work out the correct words that you're hearing. Although it was words from a particular list that they knew. So basically all of that is almost as good as just being in the same room as the person and listening to what they hear.

But it's an important and impressive step forward.

Deleted
    ghghghghhhhhhhhhhhhh

<Infracted> Necro/Spam
    Last edited by Fuzzzie; 2012-04-01 at 08:32 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, real scary since the only way they can hear it is by cutting off the top of your skull and covering your brain with electrodes and hard-wiring you up to huge machines.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

I think it would open up a wealth of creativity and innovation if you could record people's thoughts when their brain is in a state of free form thinking.