Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Flying mounts are the best thing in this game.

Seriously I dont get why people dont like this feature, people say that flying promotes less exploration in wow and makes exploring less meaningful in wow because you just fly over it well i think this is not true infact flying on a mount actually encourages me to explore more, theres more places to explore than areas that provide questing and raids, i always wanted to go to some of the areas in kalimdor and eastern kingdoms that you couldnt go on foot pre-cata unless you knew special places you can go up and go into areas that have nonthing in them, like what was behind that wall that was behind gilneas pre cata. And there are now places that you can reach in Azeroth that you couldnt reach before in azeroth before. And there were still plenty cool places to visit in outlands and wrath that provided nonthing to your character but just for the sake of exploring i really dont get the logic why people think that it promotes less exploration i just dont get it at all plz tell me why its such a bad thing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thats not the reason I don't like it, it removes any sense of danger from the world when you can just fly over every mob and enemy player. Flying mounts had a major hand in the death of world pvp, that is why I hate them. Also makes the world feel so much smaller.

It also makes this "exploration" you speak of trivial, it doesn't mean much getting somewhere when it's that damn easy. It doesn't feel like an exploration at all.
    Last edited by Schattenlied; 2012-04-02 at 09:31 AM.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.

Quote Originally Posted by Schattenlied View Post
    . Also makes the world feel so much smaller.
    THAT last sentence pretty much means to me that you think it makes exploration meaningless. It sounds almost the same thing. This is what I don't get at all.

The Unstoppable Force Resentful's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    From the research that I've done that didn't really last long to the shear answers we're the same

1) It destroys World pvp
    2) It kills exploration / The world does not feel epic anylonger

So in other words the main reason apparently from all that threads I've read about is well mainly 2

Well, in any RPGs with really big worlds I played, there were some means of fast transportation - be it some dragon, skyship or intricate teleportation system.

People who don't like this feature are people who doubtfully played any CRPGs before or who think that WoW revolves around PvP, which is false.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by phillip View Post
    THAT last sentence pretty much means to me that you think it makes exploration meaningless. It sounds almost the same thing. This is what I don't get at all.
    Because flying overhead at rapid speed, seeing everything from a bird's eye view isn't exactly as riding through through the lush environment. Since you are travelling from point A to B faster it makes the world look smaller no matter how you turn it. Doesn't mean flying mounts are necessarily a bad thing, they are definitely convenient and you get to see the world in a different light but they do make the world seem smaller.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's plain and simple, if so many people think it's a killer of something that they used to do and enjoy, then get off your flying mounts and fucking have at it nothing is stopping you. You have a choice, yes?.
    HOOKED ON DIABLOL, GOOD TIMES ARE BEING HAD

10+ Year Old Account
    Well then you don't understand English very well... It feeling smaller obviously means it makes travel too easy because movement is so quick.

---------- Post added 2012-04-02 at 02:37 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Blockygame View Post
    It's plain and simple, if so many people think it's a killer of something that they used to do and enjoy, then get off your flying mounts and fucking have at it nothing is stopping you. You have a choice, yes?.
    Are you that stupid? Ok, lets use my example, flying mounts had a major hand in killing world pvp. Me dismounting and walking around changes nothing, world pvp doesn't happen alone.

Infracted. Keep things civil
    Last edited by Darsithis; 2012-04-02 at 07:31 PM.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.

10+ Year Old Account
    I hated having to use my ground mount/Flightpaths to get places, took way too long and often bored me.
    I hate having my flying mount, as I feel it shrinks the world and makes exploration pointless.

There really is no happiness in Wow.
    You can tell WoW changed the MMO for good when players started complaining about the amount of time they sink, into a time sink.

Quote Originally Posted by -Alcatraz- View Post
    From the research that I've done that didn't really last long to the shear answers we're the same

1) It destroys World pvp
    2) It kills exploration / The world does not feel epic anylonger

So in other words the main reason apparently from all that threads I've read about is well mainly 2
    ^
    Even tho I always hated world pvp. Once I hitted lv 70 world pvp became nearly non existant (Which was fine for me).
    But even if I don't mind that there's no World pvp, I realize this is a really bad thing. ANyway, some time ago a blue post said that if they could they'd remove the flying mounts (well now they can't obviously...).

Flying mount was a great idea and indeed the day people hitted lv 70 it felt really epic. But if you look at all the other downside...

10+ Year Old Account
    Seriously I dont get why people dont like this feature, people say that flying promotes less exploration in wow and makes exploring less meaningful in wow because you just fly over it well i think this is not true infact flying on a mount actually encourages me to explore more, theres more places to explore than areas that provide questing and raids, i always wanted to go to some of the areas in kalimdor and eastern kingdoms that you couldnt go on foot pre-cata unless you knew special places you can go up and go into areas that have nonthing in them, like what was behind that wall that was behind gilneas pre cata. And there are now places that you can reach in Azeroth that you couldnt reach before in azeroth before. And there were still plenty cool places to visit in outlands and wrath that provided nonthing to your character but just for the sake of exploring i really dont get the logic why people think that it promotes less exploration i just dont get it at all plz tell me why its such a bad thing.
    Flying mounts are an issue only really while leveling. They make the experience a little bit easy as you can just fly from the quest giver to the location and back again with no danger to you (except for the constant respawns in Hyjal). Which is not a bad thing for your alt or second alt, but for the first toon in the zone flying really kills the (don't laugh) immersion. Blizz really does make some beautiful environments and just flying over them going from one quest to the other is just wrong to many of the older players.

Well MoP essentially did the best possible feature for players complaining about flying mounts, and that is no flying mounts in Pandaria until level 90. Which is fine. Do you REALLY need a flying mount to level on your first toon? I am sure there will probably be something similar to Wrath's tome of Cold Flying at some point, but upon release flying is really not required. You can use your flying mount everywhere else, just not in the new zones.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte.../Aliyra/simple
    PM me if you ever want to add me for Hearthstone!

10+ Year Old Account
    This makes no sense. People who hate flying mounts can stop using them yes, but that doesn't fix world pvp now does it when everyone else still mounts up and flies away in a heartbeat.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well then you don't understand English very well... It feeling smaller obviously means it makes travel too easy because movement is so quick.

Are you that stupid? Ok, lets use my example, flying mounts had a major hand in killing world pvp. Me dismounting and walking around changes nothing, world pvp doesn't happen alone.
    Your example doesn't cover up the real fact that if you so choose, you can engage in what ever you like, be it world pvp that people SAY that was killed by flying mounts or exploration, nowhere did I say that world pvp didn't start alone.... are you stupid or just unwilling to accept that I'm just so god damn right?

Infracted: Insulting other posters isn't very nice, please don't do it.

Gave as good as I got and i'm not sorry, friend.
    Last edited by Blockygame; 2012-04-03 at 12:14 AM.
    HOOKED ON DIABLOL, GOOD TIMES ARE BEING HAD

If there was no flying mounts then the exploring would be designed to be done by foot. Now that you can fly you obviously need a flying to explore some areas but back in classic there wasent really anything you could reach by going to "special places" except empty zones that was not designed yet, with a few exceptions. Also the exploring done by working to find those roads or rocks to jump on to reach the "special places" if you really wanted to go there was more fun than just flying there in a sec and get bored of the place at once.... Also now that we got mass summon and portals here and there there is no need what so ever to actually go out in the world. (yeah you can do it if you want but you don't need to do it). Back in classic I spent most time farming pvping in Silithus and then started to move to the MC/BWL/ZG about 20 minutes before raid start. Now it's just HS --> portal --> less than a minute flying.

I persoanlly loved classic the most due to world pvp as you just could not avoid it unless you logged out :P In TBC it was kinda good too as to start with everyone did not have epic flying and many people then used ground mounts becuase it went faster. Also there was some areas where people hang out to farm or quest but in WotLK and Cata everyone use flying mounts as it is faster than ground and not many people, at least on my realm, keep doing quests at hyjal/TB after getting what they want so it have been long dead now.

I still love the game but I still think it was so much better pre flying or at least pre WotLK in the exploring and pvp aspect.

Edit: And yes I still do go out to zones every now and then to get some pvp but either it is just people who level and get one shotted or someone doing their dailys and then goes away after a minute or two. Even if there sometimes is world pvp it don't last as it did back in classic/tbc
    Last edited by Chipskinesen; 2012-04-02 at 09:45 AM.

Best thing?

Wasnt aprils fool day yesterday?
    Hi

10+ Year Old Account

Oh, I am sure if you walk around Twilight Highlands you will get ganked. Just not as fast as you would have back in Vanilla.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte.../Aliyra/simple
    PM me if you ever want to add me for Hearthstone!

Quote Originally Posted by Cairhiin View Post
    Because flying overhead at rapid speed, seeing everything from a bird's eye view isn't exactly as riding through through the lush environment. Since you are travelling from point A to B faster it makes the world look smaller no matter how you turn it. Doesn't mean flying mounts are necessarily a bad thing, they are definitely convenient and you get to see the world in a different light but they do make the world seem smaller.
    i dont feel this way at all. actually i get a real sense of the feeling of wow and its lushfull enviornment knowing that i can get into some areas that are pretty lush imo and when your up in the air and you turn on your view distance up to max i get this awe inspiring feeling of awesome enviornments when i look into my screen you can everything around you till the edge of the horizon it justs looks more amazing in the air than on the ground when you cant see it all at once and plus when your in the air i actually get the feeling of how big it really is which is great so i don't even see much of a difference in terms how big the world is cause it still feels like the same when your on ground. still dont see why it kills exploration i just don't.

World pvp was dead long before flying mounts.
    World pvp is not ganking, which is the only thing that flying impacts negatively on.
    It could encourage reinforcements to towns not served by a flight-path rather than relying on big cities to get attention.
    Battlegrounds and a community that simply doesn't give a damn did way more damage than flying ever did.
    Flying had an opportunity to bring it back actually, but the community didn't care enough to do so.
    Instead it whined about the wrong problem.

10+ Year Old Account
    Your example doesn't cover up the real fact that if you so choose, you can engage in what ever you like, be it world pvp that people SAY that was killed by flying mounts or exploration, nowhere did I say that world pvp didn't start alone.... are you stupid or just unwilling to accept that I'm just so god damn right?
    As with the poster I quoted before, what i said to him applies to you. I do run around on foot quite often, that was implied in my post quite obviously, doesn't help when half the alliance on my server are too pussy to fight me.