Where Discipline shadows have gone?

Since the last two expansions discipline role has been restablished. Now Disci priests are mostly holy paladins with cloth. My question is: ¿where and why discipline, as the example of dominance between shadows and holiness, died? (and buffs, in which case the change is understandable.)

There used to be some hybrid discipline-shadow specs viable for pvp. We used to have Mana Burn as our speciality and we still use some shadow spells to attack, though atonement/archangel have changed that.

And finally ¿wouldn't be having our own animation style (like monks or Levitate and Pain Suppression) the proper thing for us? ¿would you like that our attack to heal spec included our shadow spells? ¿Why all (exept fear protection) of our shields and "productive" damage need to be holy? some shadowy shields would give us more "personality" and enrich role playing.

I'm not 100% sure what you're asking but all healers (and most DPS) are like that. They don't you to be able to have two schools to heal with or else interrupts that close out schools are useless. Most Shaman heals are water effects, which would make more sense coming from the frost school instead of nature but they keep them all in the same school so interrupts matter.

Disc/shadow hybrid specs disappeared because they are now impossible with the addition of the new talent tree system. You are forced to put 31 talents into your main tree, which means you cannot create hybrid specs anymore. It was very difficult for blizzard to balance classes with all the randomness going on. (I do miss my prot holy pally shenanigans in Wintergrasp). Have you done arena with a disc priest? Obviously depending on setup, but you are still using mana burn a lot, in addition to many shadow spells. The immense amount of versatility in our toolbox is what makes priests great in any spec. Why would you have your own animation style for a single spec? Disc is still a priest, why should there be different animations for the same spells just because you're in a different spec? A holy/disc priest healing with shadow damage doesn't make sense in the lore concept of who and what priests are.

Quote Originally Posted by Dami View Post
    There used to be some hybrid discipline-shadow specs viable for pvp. We used to have Mana Burn as our speciality and we still use some shadow spells to attack, though atonement/archangel have changed that.
    i know very little of pvp, but id assume that as a discipline priest you still use shadow spells to attack in pvp (ms, mb), as this way you dont risk healing school to be locked? (or has it changed and im messing?)

Deleted
    Since the last two expansions discipline role has been restablished. Now Disci priests are mostly holy paladins with cloth. My question is: ¿where and why discipline, as the example of dominance between shadows and holiness, died? (and buffs, in which case the change is understandable.)
    Hu? Paladins with cloth? Palas have different tools, a different healing style, different emergency buttons and different mana return mechanics etc. Yes, disc priest are healers, so are holy paladins, resto shamans, resto druids (and soon monks).

Specc Disc, step into arena or RBGS. You will use:
    Fear, Shadowfiend, Shadow Word: Pain (to dot rogues or keep a player infight), Mind Control (peeling, forcing trinkets or, for additional fun, throw people from bridges), Mind Spike/Mind Blast (when Holy Fire is on cooldown), Shadow Word: Death (glyphed), Mind Sear (to unstealh rogues/druids), Mana Burn (mostly to annoy other priests )

Yes, you are a healer, no hybrid-dd, but with power infusion/holy fire/mind spike/shadow word: death you can apply some pressure when needed. Not as successful as in wrath, but still useful. Stop complaining. Go watch some hydra movies.

Deleted

And finally ¿wouldn't be having our own animation style (like monks or Levitate and Pain Suppression) the proper thing for us? ¿would you like that our attack to heal spec included our shadow spells? ¿Why all (exept fear protection) of our shields and "productive" damage need to be holy? some shadowy shields would give us more "personality" and enrich role playing.
    I assume that "productive damage" refers to smite healing.
    I don't understand why this many disc priest are complaining about holy being able to glyph antonement. It's the same as if holy priests were to complain about disc getting B&S, it's absurd. Smite healing shouldn't be spec related, but class related, it should be an option for every priest who wants to do it, as well as B&S. Please, think about it.
    Last edited by mmoc3d05ee6dd7; 2012-04-06 at 05:22 PM.