Page 48 of 101 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Goblin View Post
    Soooo, that Mintchip threadnaught.

Holy hell I've not seen backlash like this in two years.
    Feels like I missed something, need to provide links bro...

He can't. The threadnaught was already deleted.

Basically, there was a thread in which CCP Mintchip introduced herself as a new member to the Dust514 team. Yes, you saw that correctly. They even let her keep her name!

Quote Originally Posted by CCP Mintchip
    Hello, I am CCP Mintchip! You may know me from my EVE YouTube channel online where I embarrassed myself talking about EVE Online as I was learning the game and getting to know the community. I've been playing Eve for about 3 years and am excited for Dust 514 and World of Darkness! I am really pleased to be working with you guys as the latest DUST 514 community rep!

-CCP Mintchip
    If you know anything about Mintchip's reputation, then it will come as no surprise that the thread predictably turned ugly in a very short time. It grew to over 52 pages fast, and most of them were ugly and personal. Many posts were deleted, forum bans handed out, and eventually the entire thread was locked and later nuked from orbit to prevent even more damage. To make things worse the wording was a bit vague. Her words are community rep, but she is really the community manager. There's kind of a big difference.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ex-Mod. Technically retired, they just won't let me quit.

Quote Originally Posted by kumduh View Post
    He can't. The threadnaught was already deleted.
    Yeah I found it through EvE-Search when I stopped being lazy.

Basically, there was a thread in which CCP Mintchip introduced herself as a new member to the Dust514 team. Yes, you saw that correctly. They even let her keep her name!
    I can't even...there is no facepalm big enough to describe that shit, having known devs that had to rename their characters and all kinds of shit because they where found out amplifies this beyond normal implications.

If you know anything about Mintchip's reputation, then it will come as no surprise that the thread predictably turned ugly in a very short time.
    Not followed it to much, saw the nude pics at some point but that's about it, her videos annoyed the shit out of me so didn't watch much of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Goblin View Post
    Yeah stopped being lazy and found it eventually, cheers anyway though.

I'm trying to enjoy this game, I really am, but man I feel alone and unsure of what the hell I want to do.

I've done mining, exploration, and a few missions. Boring stuff. Talked about upping the excitement a bit with a buddy and he suggested ratting in NRDS space to start out, where he "anti-pirates". Made the journey last night, got podded after undocking from my first low sec station.

I'd like to get involved in PvP now, but I have no idea where to begin or what to bring.

Quote Originally Posted by Dyros View Post
    I'd like to get involved in PvP now, but I have no idea where to begin or what to bring.
    I'd say join EvE University or one of the faction warfare corps for some newbie PvP, once you know a bit more how it plays out and want to up the stakes start looking at various null sec alliances and their corps, some might have high entry requirements though.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have to admit, when I bought the game last night and started her up, I wasn't enjoying it in the beginning. I saw so many buttons and so many other tabs, I told myself nope and just exited. I tried it again tonight and completed the "basic training" and enjoyed it. I will be doing the advanced training next and see where that takes me.

Quote Originally Posted by Weezing View Post
    I have to admit, when I bought the game last night and started her up, I wasn't enjoying it in the beginning. I saw so many buttons and so many other tabs, I told myself nope and just exited. I tried it again tonight and completed the "basic training" and enjoyed it. I will be doing the advanced training next and see where that takes me.
    The game has a very steep learning curve, there are tutorials these days though and several corps, I think, that dedicate them selfs to teaching new players the game. Back when I started there was nothing like that.

Old but still still fairly accurate image, as I said it's become somewhat better over the years though.

10+ Year Old Account
    What Career should a newb pick?
    I'm currently leaning towards military or industrial.

Deleted
    Still somewhat of a noob myself (played a couple months on and off, currently training skills - or did when my last month ran out, haven't renewed yet - to fit my Vexor for T2 missions).... I'd say there's not *the* choice for noobs. It depends entirely on what you wanna do. For starters, do the tutorial and run all the career agent missions, they give a somewhat good idea of what those "paths" are like.

If you're into PvP mostly, not much I can tell you there, I don't like PvP and I can't even fly the designated 'trash' ship for my Alliance yet (Rokh) so I feel kinda useless participating in Alliance warfare in a Rifter or whatever. As for very "low level"/noob PvP, not clue how you'd do that, every loss hurts when you got little to no money, and you can't propery PvP in high sec anyway unless you are attacked (probably instant death then, given your skills/ship) or you want a bad security status (not a good idea imho while still new in the game, you'll probably spend most of your time in high sec at the beginning).

The certificates also are a good place to start when it comes to learning skills, the various basic or core certificates should give you an idea of a solid basic set of skills, imho you should train those first until you have a clearer idea what you wanna play.

Personally - I'm most interested in mining, exploration and mission running/ratting/PvE. But it's tiresome to do all that on one character, and you can only train on one character per account at a time (unless you wanna pay double or triple the monthly fee by burning PLEX, new feature since Odyssey). for example when my month ran out I started training Medium Hybrid Turret lvl 5, which takes 2 weeks... So no training mining, refining or exploration stuff during that time.

Try to focus on the one type of gameplay you enjoy most so you don't face that conflict. I gave up on Exploration stuff for now until I can at least T2 fit my Vexor, and I do some mining in my Venture (had a Procurer but ...well, this is EVE... gonna wait a bit, make some money in the Venture and then get a Retriever for low/null sec mining)

Also - manage your expecations. You're not gonna fly a Titan anytime soon. ^^ Try to set more reasonable goals you can a achieve in a couple months. e.g. the highest type of ship I expect to fly will be Battleships, and I'm not even close to that. Not able to fly them yet, let alone fit them.
    Last edited by mmoca812163483; 2013-06-06 at 10:11 AM.

Well since mintchip got hired for being a camwhore maby i have a good shot if i leak some dick pics and make youtube vids about me raging about random shit happening to me in eve and how much i hate eve.

If you're talking tutorial stuff I have no idea as I never even seen them.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta333 View Post
    Well since mintchip got hired for being a camwhore maby i have a good shot if i leak some dick pics and make youtube vids about me raging about random shit happening to me in eve and how much i hate eve.
    Hey go for it man, the sky is the limit...

You're not limited to just one. Do all of them as they will teach you a little and give you some decent ships/mods early on.

---------- Post added 2013-06-07 at 03:25 AM ----------

Goons invading Fountain because the moon changes will "leave them in poverty"

Zeta, your mining operation has been discovered!

Multiboxing 64 retrievers... It almost makes you want to fit out a bunch of smartbomb battleships.

15+ Year Old Account

Do all of the career agent paths

It's just separate quest chains, but they all give basic skills/equipment that you should have no matter what you end up doing afterward.

Deleted
    Friendly bump for the only mmo that has kept me consistently busy and entertained for more than a year.

For those looking to get into PVP, I would suggest either Red versus Blue - Two corps in high sec locked in a forever war with constant arranged fights - or Faction Warfare, where you can grab a t1 frigate, jump into the warzone, and make your money while you pvp at the same time.

A downside of RvB is that it can be a bit expensive for new players who don't have the isk to through at infinite frigs/dessys/cruisers.

Whatever the case, don't wait to join a player run corp, there are plenty out there, and they will give you knowledge, experience, and content. Don't get stuck into thinking you have to wait until you can grind lvl4 missions before you can pvp/leavehighsec, you will probably just get bored and miss out on all the stuff that makes eve such a unique game.
    Last edited by mmoc53a5d0407d; 2013-06-09 at 02:14 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    been playing for two weeks and too scared to leave the starter systems..the furthest away form the start I've been is 4 jumps :S

Frozen, save http://evemaps.dotlan.net/ in your client's browser. It's much more readable than the Star Map and might give you the confidence you need to venture out a bit. You should also learn how to navigate to your local market hub.

Major hubs:
    Jita - The Forge region, Caldari
    Amarr - Domain region, Amarr
    Rens - Heimatar region, Minmatar
    Dodixie - Sinq Laison region, Gallente
    Last edited by kumduh; 2013-06-09 at 02:22 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozenbeef View Post
    been playing for two weeks and too scared to leave the starter systems..the furthest away form the start I've been is 4 jumps :S
    On the map, you can light systems up by "ships killed in the last 24 hours" which is pretty valuable for spotting organized gate camps. And as has been said, dotlan is awesome.

10+ Year Old Account
    eve is WAAAY too unfriendly to new players, just decided to take a peek into 0.4 a minute later i was dead from a pirate...2 other people came and helped me by killing the pirate though so that was nice... >.< Why can't their be a game in between wow and eve