Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Hmm... glad to see we're not alone.

Back in January, there was speculation, which I agreed with and commented on, on this forum that EA was deliberately doing weird things.

I speculated that companies like EA are pushing the buttons of gamers on purpose, to see what they will and won’t tolerate. And by tolerate, of course, I don’t mean rant about on forums. I mean what they will pay for.
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertco...rica-now-what/

In an article written today, it seems my fears are actually also held by people whose job it is to understand and contextualize the gaming industry. Looks like this is the straw I need to stop buying their stuff.

EA does look like a dirty company.

10+ Year Old Account
    I personally never liked EA (or Activision for that matter). They're just companies in it for themselves. They tell developers to push out content even if it isn't ready because they want more money. It doesn't matter how much they already have- because to them it isn't enough. An infinite income wouldn't be enough.

I am Murloc!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Moved to Video Games Discussion

That's why tor sucks so much. Game be pushed all the way.
    That guy (>'.')>

WoW Cinematics : WotLK>WoD=MoP>Vanilla=Cataclysm>TBC

I guess all it takes is 250,000 votes to declare something the "worst" these days, apparently EA trying to make money (DLC) and protect their investment (DRM) is worst then taking homes away and ruining peoples lives...

Hated EA since it merged with Bioware (or absorbed, idk).
    l'alurl gol zhah elghinyrr gol.

Pit Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Gaming is no longer in the hands of people who read articles about gaming and vote in online polls and passionately discuss the dark future of game companies on web forums. Gaming is too mainstream for all that. The people who continuously, blindly line EA's pockets don't care about "all that nerd shit." EA knows this. We've already lost.
    ^ The above should be taken with two grains of salt and a fistful of "chill the F* out".

Imo Activision is much worse. Acti rehashes games while EA rushes games, in the end they're both diseases to the gaming industry

I am Murloc!
    15+ Year Old Account
    This was EA's response to the matter. Personally, I find it appropriate.

"We're sure that bank presidents, oil, tobacco and weapons companies are all relieved they weren't on the list this year. We're going to continue making award-winning games and services played by more than 300 million people worldwide," said John Reseburg in EA Corporate Communications.
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/article...om-consumerist

Realistically, the only reason EA ended up winning was due the gaming culture being much more present online than others in the US. Had this been polled in a traditional fashion, I highly doubt EA would have "won" the bracket.

-------

I'm not out to defend EA. Though, I agree with their response that their are far worse companies out there.

That's a lousy response IMO.
    It's like admitting guilt but saying "yes, we screw you, but HEY, look at the bright side: other companies screw you even MORE!"

I am Murloc!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dupin View Post
    It's like admitting guilt but saying "yes, we screw you, but HEY, look at the bright side: other companies screw you even MORE!"
    I think they are responding to the idiotic priorities of gamers out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Synche View Post
    I guess all it takes is 250,000 votes to declare something the "worst" these days, apparently EA trying to make money (DLC) and protect their investment (DRM) is worst then taking homes away and ruining peoples lives...
    It's much easier to hate something you can understand. Most people don't know what the banks/lenders/wall street did to cause the crisis and just how badly they screwed everyone, including themselves. Not that EA is doing something great, but it's nowhere near the level of what finance companies do.

Deleted
    haha yea, I agree with Nellise!

ahhh, to go back to the good ol' days of the boycott. But all of you trash addicts will keep that from happeneing - was all us consumers had to combat bullshit like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Dakia View Post
    I think they are responding to the idiotic priorities of gamers out there.
    You mean other than getting decent finished games instead of half the game for $60, and 3 DLCs later for $10 each, which will actually be the 100% of the game after all of them?
    I guess that's legitimate. In other times we'd get a finished games and expansion packs. Now... is just a load of bullshift. See what I did thurr

I don't really see what makes them so much worse than any other gaming company. They are all in it for the money and a lot of companies are trying to ride the gravy train that DLC provides.

Quote Originally Posted by Dupin View Post
    Overall it is a lousy response, but he has a legitimate point. In the grand scheme of things, as shitty as EA is, they're nowhere NEAR as bad as a TON of different companies (including come that EA lost to). Because of the format of the survey, and the fact that it actually got pretty heavy promotion on a lot of different gaming sites, the results are skewed. Gamers are notoriously vocal about things that affect their gaming, so it's no question that they would zero in on EA (a company that they are extremely familiar with, one that they understand the shitty practices) compared to say, ATT or Bank of America, which a lot of people aren't as familiar.

He should have embraced it rather than gone and try the redirect. Could have turned it around into something pretty funny.

Deleted
    The only EA games I tend to buy now are Fifa on a yearly basis, they tend to ruin almost everything they get their hands on these days.

Deleted
    Since I Pirate all of their games this makes me feel better about it. But while its on topic a bit does anyone else think DLC stuff ruins the replay value of games? I remember when you would beat a game to get X infinite wep for the next run through and with the better time on THAT run through get Y wep and then you'd felt like you beat the game, Now all those weps, armours and extras are just 5 euro DLCs. I feel zero reason to replay games when the fun stuff from beating it is now a DLC.

Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusherO0 View Post
    Overall it is a lousy response, but he has a legitimate point. In the grand scheme of things, as shitty as EA is, they're nowhere NEAR as bad as a TON of different companies (including come that EA lost to). Because of the format of the survey, and the fact that it actually got pretty heavy promotion on a lot of different gaming sites, the results are skewed. Gamers are notoriously vocal about things that affect their gaming, so it's no question that they would zero in on EA (a company that they are extremely familiar with, one that they understand the shitty practices) compared to say, ATT or Bank of America, which a lot of people aren't as familiar.

He should have embraced it rather than gone and try the redirect. Could have turned it around into something pretty funny.
    The media used was totally biased, yeah. I don't trust polls though. In my mind, all polls are biased or extremely fixed by someone/something. Even the so called 'official' ones.
    Anyways, knowing how people are, I hope they wake up at some point
    Even with biased/fixed polls.