10+ Year Old Account

Seems like a touchy subject (mounts)

I really would NOT like to start any fights here about this, I just want a MATURE discussion with MATURE people.

I've read quite a few threads on the opinions of mounts in GW2. Coming from WoW, mounts are something I'm used to seeing. I enjoy my few mounts but they're not something I necessarily require. I like having mounts because I feel like it adds to my character's story. I know a lot of people don't feel the same way, however.

I just wanted to know other people's opinions on the idea having them be a cash item, so that if you really felt you needed it you could buy one. Since I feel like a lot of people don't want them in game, I'm not going to say that they should be implemented into the game right away, or at all. From everything I've seen on the game, it looks fantastic and fluid without mounts and I'm excited to play a game without mounts. I would be perfectly happy with or without a mount, one that didn't give me any speed advantages, just something that could add to the story of my character that I have inside my head. And if it was a cash item then it would be the player's ultimate decision on whether they wanted one or not, not like in WoW where you're sort of expected to have a mount, and you wouldn't see a ton of mounts out in the world because not every player would necessarily want one.

I would like to see it implemented eventually possibly, but I'd have to play the game without them to see if I change my mind. I would hate to see flying mounts in the game, or achievement mounts, or mounts that give you an advantage. I feel like if you want one you should want it for your character's story, not because you want to get around the world faster or because you want to have something cool that you want to show off and brag about.

Essentially, I would like to hear opinions on this from both sides of the argument. Since I'm kind of in the middle, I'm not arguing for or against them. They're something I'd possibly like to see but I don't think they're necessarily needed in game. Ultimately, it would be up to the developers on whether they add them or not, and I would be happy either way. Thoughts everyone?

Mounts that provide speed buffs might be at odds with their dynamic event system. I don't know how it would work in practice though.

One thing I can see them doing with mounts is having your skill bar changing when you are mounted. Sort of like Siege Devourers in Guild Wars.

One thing I would hate to see them resort to is the mount in a pocket that so many mmos do. If it has to be like that then at least have it like how AoC does it.

I'm not for mounts. Not in this game.
    "Loss of blood... My only weakness!"
    ~ Warlord Khan, Magicka

Anyway, if you don't already see where I'm going with this, allow me to spell it out: the only meaningful MMORPG "endgame" -- i.e., something novel to do after the progression process is over -- is that of the sandbox.

There is already a discussion on mounts in GW2 here, please keep discussion to that thread.
    Last edited by Edge-; 2012-04-06 at 06:20 AM.