Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Good top-champion (450-3150 IP)

I am currently only playing AD carry, mid and support so I am going to try some top-laning but I don't know a good top-champion for beginners..
    Any suggestions

10+ Year Old Account
    There's a number of options, really. Note that the list below isn't necessarily complete. I just picked a few of the usual suspects.

1350: Singed, Teemo, Warwick, Tryndamere
    3150: Gangplank, Olaf, Pantheon, Udyr
    4800: Irelia, Jarvan, Rumble, Trundle

Highlighted some top picks. Udyr might arguably be one of the strongest candidates, but I doubt you'd consider him 'for beginners'.

Udyr is not that tough at all. I'd say he's a lot more forgiving and easier to learn than others. By contrast Udyr has no skills which require aiming or click-on skills. He's a right click champ with the hardest aspect being the timing on his Bear Stance. What's more Udyr gets along fine without tons of farm unlike Irelia or Singed, for example.

Jarvan, Irelia, Rumble, Yorick and Olaf are far more technical by contrast.

All good champs mentioned. Though I would say Udyr is def. not as tough to learn as some.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2012-04-06 at 04:48 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    the only downside to using Pantheon.. is timing his ulti just right.. but aside from that.. he is amazingly easy to play and does a good bit of damage.. he is one of my favs. also.. nothing feels more satisfying then getting a nice *squish* from landing Panth's ulti just right.. lol
    Quote Originally Posted by ablib View Post
    I do realize that this is an internet forum full of morons, however in real life, no one questions me, people look to me for the answer, look up to me, trust me. To have dipshits on a video game forum question me, is insulting.

surprised not to see garen not in that list.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Udyr is not that tough at all.
    His basics probably aren't. However, deciding on a talent build on the fly and keeping his passive going whilst juggling stances seems a bit more intricate than 'Hit Q' for Warwick... Personally, I didn't find Irelia all that hard to learn. Farm up a Trinity Force and do Tons Of Damage. Didn't play her since the nerf, but I doubt that really changed her gameplay a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by lovecraft View Post
    Call it personal bias. Or just an oversight. Pick one.

10+ Year Old Account
    Shen top wins games.

Quote Originally Posted by Duilliath View Post
    Call it personal bias. Or just an oversight. Pick one.
    Don't blame you.

@OP What champions do you currently own/play

If you're looking to START top laning you could always pick up Nunu for 450IP just to start. His "consume" is amazing for sustainability and you can harass your lane opponent by throwing a snowball at them every time your "free spell" passive becomes active.

It can be really annoying to lane against him, especially if you don't have a dash-style gap closer.
    As soon as someone runs at you, snowball them.

Olaf and Gangplank are relatively strong top laners at the moment. Loaf is a bit situational, but considering his skillshot slow, true damage skill and vicious strikes, he has a potent kit combination for shutting down many of the more annoying tops - Like Gangplank, Irelia, and Riven.

Nidalee is pretty nice if you'r used to play an AD carry, you can play her AD or play her AP (dem spears lol), also she's ranged, has traps which you can use to spot ganks if u place them well and a heal, good escape with cat and throwing spears out of the bushes into someone is always fun

Try Warwick, just started him today, my god is he strong, nearly abusive at my level of play, you cant be tower dived, its hard to be out substained, and his E is so good. Id consider trying a fronze mallet build, although i am yet to try it, i already feel it would help so much from the last few games i played

Try to get plenty of on-hit effects on Warwick w/ a tanky bent. Very good beginner champion and cheap in IP while one saves up for Lee Sin, Riven or Kennen.

Shen is a very good champion in Top Lane and in Jungle. He's cheap too! Very versatile.

Warwick, Olaf, Rumble and you have top lane covered. No overlapping counterpicks so you should have a proper laning experience all around.
    Signature by Tacy :]

Deleted
    And nobody mentions Cho'Gath, Mundo, Jax, Malphite, Sion, Teemo, Tryndamere and Urgot.

You are probably playing only blind pick, so just pick universally good champion for top, something like Garen or Cho'Gath. Or, if you like to farm, and you notice that your opponents, in general, are not to aggressive, get Nasus!

Spin to win!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by s3ki View Post
    And nobody mentions Cho'Gath, Mundo, Jax, Malphite, Sion, Teemo, Tryndamere and Urgot.

You are probably playing only blind pick, so just pick universally good champion for top, something like Garen or Cho'Gath. Or, if you like to farm, and you notice that your opponents, in general, are not to aggressive, get Nasus!

Spin to win!
    Second post...

I need to figure out a few good champs that I am good at laning top with. Currently use Vlad solo top which works out okay but I figure I need to get a few more for the position.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    All that have been mentioned are good, I would like to restate that Teemo could become quite a strong top when the patch buffs him and Warwick is very durable up top for 1350 champs

Quote Originally Posted by lovecraft View Post
    Cut that out.

And I'm done here.

My personal top picks would probably be GP, Trynd, and Shen (personal picks, I've had quite some success with those 3).