Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

[Movie] The Hunger Games

Whats you opinion to his Movie?

I realy loved the book, but when i saw the movie i was disappointed. Because many importent scanes from the book has changed or just wasnt in the Movie.

So I finally saw this movie. I had heard people ranting and raving about it for so long so I had it high on my to do list. And, I have to say, what a piece of poop! This movie was crap. Boring boring crap.
    While you live, shine / Have no grief at all / Life exists only for a short while / And time demands its toll.

As far as book adaptations go I thought it was pretty darn great. They did a good job of covering the key points of the story without changing any of it radically or making it seem disjointed (ahem, hello Harry Potter movies). I loved the casting of Katniss and several of the supporting characters, and the whole tone and feel of the movie felt very similar to that of the book. It was snappy, effective, engaging, and despite some awkward direction in places it was a thoroughly satisfying experience for me.

For a story like The Hunger Games, you'd be hard pushed to do a better job of making a movie adaptation in my opinion.

15+ Year Old Account
    I saw the movie & didn't read the book. I wasn't a fan of the plot but finished the movie anyway. Something about glorifying kid-on-kid murdering just doesn't set well with me.

Quote Originally Posted by Wondercrab View Post
    As far as book adaptations go I thought it was pretty darn great. They did a good job of covering the key points of the story without changing any of it radically or making it seem disjointed (ahem, hello Harry Potter movies). I loved the casting of Katniss and several of the supporting characters, and the whole tone and feel of the movie felt very similar to that of the book. It was snappy, effective, engaging, and despite some awkward direction in places it was a thoroughly satisfying experience for me.

For a story like The Hunger Games, you'd be hard pushed to do a better job of making a movie adaptation in my opinion.
    With a few exceptions, I felt the same way. The book was mostly Katniss' internal monologue, as far as I remember, and that was pretty much entirely cut... but it was still a great film.

I can't wait for Catching Fire! The best book in the trilogy, imo.

---------- Post added 2013-05-28 at 01:19 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by gaymer77 View Post
    I saw the movie & didn't read the book. I wasn't a fan of the plot but finished the movie anyway. Something about glorifying kid-on-kid murdering just doesn't set well with me.
    That's sort of the whole point of the series. The Hunger Games are something that the districts HATE but that the capitol loves. This fact leads to open rebellion and a changing of the ways. I'm guessing that you didn't know that this was part of a trilogy?
    Last edited by Belloc; 2013-05-28 at 01:20 AM.
    Grand Crusader Belloc <-- 6608 Endless Tank Proving Grounds score! (
    Dragonslayer Kooqu

Was a 7/10 for me.

Trailer for Catching Fire:

Last edited by Arrowstormen; 2013-05-30 at 03:05 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    T'was Battle Royale for the Twilight audience.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Lets say you have a two 3 inch lines. One is all red and the other is 48% red and 52% blue. Does that mean there's a 50-50 chance they're both red or is the second line matching the all red line by 48%?
    ^^^ Wells using an analogy

Someone pitched the movie to me and it sounded awesome.
    Bad logic, bad cgi, most fights occur offfscreen and the ones that don't are nearly all lackluster.
    The story sounded like it was aimed for a more adult audiance than what the movie turned out to be.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xylophone View Post
    Except for the part where Battle Royale was trash. Hunger Games was pretty decent as far as book to movie translations go.

Quote Originally Posted by Fronti View Post
    Whats you opinion to his Movie?

I realy loved the book, but when i saw the movie i was disappointed. Because many importent scanes from the book has changed or just wasnt in the Movie.
    Couldn't disagree with you more. The movie was almost identical to the book with the minor issue of not involving Katniss' internal dialogue which in order to do would have required a narrator which would have made the movie not as good.

There were a few things that are left out of the movie like the love story between Katniss, Peeta and Gale, especially in relationship to the last scene on the train. Because of this it will be interesting how they do the other two movies considering this is a key theme throughout the books and cannot be ignored like they did in the first movie.

A bit off topic but I watched both Battle Royale movies and I thought they were decent but wouldn't call them great. They do have the same premise as The Hunger Games movies but I'm not sure, I didn't really care for them that much. You don't care about the characters at all or at least I didn't.

Never read the books and when I heard my niece's class was going to see it you knew it would aimed towards a younger audience (aka not me). Still I enjoyed the first half and then The Hunger Games started and logic just kind of went out the window. For instance, Peeta teams up with the guys he doesn't like to take out the girl he does like? Shouldn't that have been the other way around?

Deleted
    The worst movie I have seen. The only thing that made me watch it to the end is that i had to study for exam.

I realize that book may be good, but dont ever watch this movie.

#edit
    OMG. So it is true the movie is very similar ? Please spare humanity and delete that movie.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Quote Originally Posted by 9Royalwolf6 View Post
    The worst movie I have seen. The only thing that made me watch it to the end is that i had to study for exam.

#edit
    OMG. So it is true the movie is very similar ? Please spare humanity and delete that movie.
    Worst movie you've ever seen? Huh, either you haven't seen a lot of movies, or you have a bad taste in movies - hard to say. That said, it isn't a fantastic movie, but it's far from the worst movie ever.

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

Quote Originally Posted by Skippy88 View Post
    Never read the books and when I heard my niece's class was going to see it you knew it would aimed towards a younger audience (aka not me). Still I enjoyed the first half and then The Hunger Games started and logic just kind of went out the window. For instance, Peeta teams up with the guys he doesn't like to take out the girl he does like? Shouldn't that have been the other way around?
    That or getting killed horribly by them. I'd go with them to start with too, and since they would all have to kill each other at that time, it would make it awkward to hang around the girl you're in love with, knowing you'd be killing her sooner or later, and since she didn't share his feelings, she would probably be the first backstabber.

How old is your niece? Because this is definitely not geared towards a younger crowd. It is a very dark look on humanity and what we can become in the future. Basically it is condoning the murder of children by children. Certainly not a kid's movie if you ask me.

In regards to Peeta well that is obvious and Katniss even explains it in the movie. "They're looking at you like you're a meal ticket". Basically saying, do something or they're going to think you're weak and kill you. As you didn't read the books the people that Peeta teamed up with where the career tributes. They basically train all their lives until 18 then volunteer (like Katniss did for her sister) to fight which is why they always win. They want the glory and the spoils that come with winning. So Peeta joined them so he could keep an eye on them and lead them away from Katniss (he was protecting her). The career tributes think he is leading them to her but he's actually leading them away and helping her. A, keep your friends close and your enemies closer kind of deal.

Quote Originally Posted by 9Royalwolf6 View Post

#edit
    To each their own but I and many others think you're wrong. As it stands the Hunger Games cost 78 million to make and grossed over 408 million domestically. It made 152 million in it's opening weekend which if memory serves is one of if not the top grossing opening weekend excluding sequels in history.

So maybe you just have bad taste in movies? You're welcome to your opinion but don't speak like it's fact when clearly the vast majority of people completely disagree with you.

EDIT: "He added: “This opening is a passing of the baton. The end of ‘Harry Potter’ and the impending ‘Twilight’ finale resulted in a marketplace that was hungry for a new, popular franchise to cling to.” The roughly $155 million for “The Hunger Games” opening weekend is the third biggest in Hollywood history, not accounting for inflation, behind only “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2” and “The Dark Knight,” according to Hollywood.com, which compiles box-office data." (Source: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/26/mo...ords.html?_r=0)

Quote Originally Posted by xylophone View Post
    Hah I couldn't say it better. Every second of BR Movies is better, ending is better. BR Book 100 times better then HG.
    Last edited by OmniSkribe; 2013-05-29 at 07:50 PM.

At the time she was 12 I think. She was in Grade 7 at the time because this year she is grade 8 and there's huge drama over how a boy asked her to the prom and she said no. I honestly didn't think was any worse than Lord Of The Flies and I think we read/saw that in Grade 5 or 6. They did a fairly good job of minimizing the deaths.

If Peeta's main goal was to protect Katniss then he did a shitty job of it from a movie prospective. They needed a moment to let the viewer know he was on her side the whole time. The impression I got from watching it was he turned on her because she told him she had no feelings and after the bee incident she realized she did have feelings for him. It could have been handled better.

Teaming up with them is fine but short sighted as I think if it came down to him and the group he would have been the first one gone with zero chance of winning. If you team up with Katniss and make it to the end your final 2 with a 50-50 chance at winning. Luckily, their respective plans worked and they made it to the final 2 and now they get to do it all again in November. Yay!

At the time she was 12 I think. She was in Grade 7 at the time because this year she is grade 8 and there's huge drama over how a boy asked her to the prom and she said no. I honestly didn't think was any worse than Lord Of The Flies and I think we read/saw that in Grade 5 or 6. They did a fairly good job of minimizing the deaths.

If Peeta's main goal was to protect Katniss then he did a shitty job of it from a movie prospective. They needed a moment to let the viewer know he was on her side the whole time. The impression I got from watching it was he turned on her because she told him she had no feelings and after the bee incident she realized she did have feelings for him. It could have been handled better.

Teaming up with them is fine but short sighted as I think if it came down to him and the group he would have been the first one gone with zero chance of winning. If you team up with Katniss and make it to the end your final 2 with a 50-50 chance at winning. Luckily, their respective plans worked and they made it to the final 2 and now they get to do it all again in November. Yay!
    Honestly, Catching Fire sounds pretty cool from what I've read about it. The "special" Hunger Games is quite... interesting.

Katniss didn't want to be left with just her and Peeta at the end for the reason that she wouldn't be able to live with the animosity that she would get from his friends and loved ones after she killed him and returned home. Something she clearly states in the book, I can't remember about the film.

It was only after the rule change that she could team up with him without the fear of having to kill him and live with the ramifications.

Quote Originally Posted by Activi-T View Post
    Katniss didn't want to be left with just her and Peeta at the end for the reason that she wouldn't be able to live with the animosity that she would get from his friends and loved ones after she killed him and returned home. Something she clearly states in the book, I can't remember about the film.

It was only after the rule change that she could team up with him without the fear of having to kill him and live with the ramifications.
    Guess that's what you get extra when you hear the thought-process of the main character.