• FFXIV

147 24.18%
  • WoW:Cataclysm

50 8.22%

Thread: Most failed MMO

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Out of the ones I've played, I'd say Aion. Simply because it was a beautiful game with great classes and gameplay, lovely scenery and aesthetics completely ruined by an impatient community who wouldn't wait for the devs to fix a few simple problems at endgame.

I'm still pretty convinced that SW:TOR failed because of the community all getting WoW hankerings again. The classes are great, the stories are really compelling, the cut-scenes are really well done and for a new game there was plenty of content.

I think the majority of MMO rerollers are planning a mass exodus away from WoW only to realise that they miss it, then come back and drag the whole community down on their way out with a hundred forum threads of "why X is dying." People will always insist on steamrolling their way to the level cap and then whining about the lack of content in launch week.

Quote Originally Posted by noobadrood View Post
    APB--->All Points Bulletin`, a GTA-like MMO which was rumoured to have costed over 100M$ and barely lasted 3 months, i'd say it's pretty much THE flop.
    according to the wikipedia article it wasn't as much about gameplay fails etc. but the company went into administration and was therefore unable to maintain the servers after just a few weeks. sounds more like general bad management and not really like a direct gameplay problem.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    World of warcraft. Because the forums constantly say so.

Why is Guild Wars 2 even on the poll? It's not even out yet

I voted for Aion because personally I didn't like it, I liked most of the others though.

This is why hyping up ANYTHING, to an unreachable height is never a good idea. You can have standards, but come in with little to no expectations. (imo)
    http://thingsihaveneverdone.wordpress.com
    Just started my 24/7 LoFi stream. Come listen!
    https://youtu.be/3uv1pLbpQM8

APB was actually a fun game, and the re-launch version isn't bad. The game still has two MAJOR flaws: Insane lag, and the absolute worst matchmaking in any mmo in the world. Think Season 11 PVP geared 5 man team from WOW vs fresh lvl 85 players in greens. I see bronze vs gold players 99% of the time, and its ridiculous.

I think Tabula Rasa was one of the biggest flops ever. DC Universe couldn't clear it's first year either, and that's with an established and very popular setting. DCUO at least went f2p and is making some money on microtransactions and such. WoW, TOR, Rift, and GW are either there as flame bait or because he couldn't think of anything else. LOTR and the Dungeons and Dragons MMO carved out decent niches for themselves in the f2p market but failed as subscription games. Star Trek Online failed to even do that. Though Age of Conan and FF14 make pretty good cases for being awful failures themselves.

Tabula Rasa has to be the worst. Huge budget, lots of hype, and this was before the MMO market was as saturated as it is now. They pulled the plug in months.

Well FFXIV is the worst one by far, but it looked like crap long before it was ever released, so I wasn't really surprised.
    SWTOR on the other hand had all that hype, and it failed horribly to live up to it.

Deleted
    GW2 in there? >_______>
    Also these threads have never ended well.
    Last edited by mmoc5b3bf16116; 2012-04-08 at 07:30 PM. Reason: added stuff

Factually, I'd say FF14 considering it had to be re-released due to insane bugs and everything else going wrong, lol. Personally, Aion, Rift and SWToR. After those games I feel as though I'm pretty much done with new MMOs. It's even caused me to be hesitant of getting excited about Tera which I was previously looking forward to for years.

15+ Year Old Account
    i'm not sure what's worse; putting GW2 in the poll, or people actually voting for it.

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Faxion Online was hardly online long enough to be considered an mmo.

Either APB or FFXIV. Not just among the worst MMOs but among the worst games of the decade (Aparrently APB isn't as terrible anymore but at launch... Ugh).

SWtOR from the list.

But in my opinion, LotRO or DC universe.

I love how GW2 is in the poll while it isn't even out yet... it got massive hype and you already say it fails.

Anyway, I'd say WoW: Cataclysm. Destroyed WoW we once knew and loved, now its just a empty shell of its former self

Quote Originally Posted by thekrik View Post
    Hi everyone,

I recently quit SW:TOR finally conceding that it has failed to live up to its hype.

With this in mind, I wanted to figure out what you guys thought was the biggest MMO failure
    Star Wars: Galaxies, not sure why you didn't put that in the poll. That game was a disaster.

SW:TOR - aka TORtanic
    Spend hundreds of millions making an MMO? - Check
    Have less features than most modern MMOS? - Check
    Extremely overhyped - Check
    Boring and poorly thought out dailies? - Check
    Pointless to run nightmare when you get the same loot from hard? - Check

I'm sure there's a vast amount more that can be added to that list.

15+ Year Old Account
    FF14 was pretty goddamn awful. You know it's bad when they clean house and personally apologize to everyone for how bad it was.

Deleted
    Depends what you mean by failed.

Warhammer Online failed pretty badly and I think it's dead now or barely holds on with less that 100k subs but I still think it was a good MMO and I liked the execution and wish they just had fixed some crucial mistakes with it that made it fail so horrible.

WoW Cata on the other hand is doing pretty well with 10 million subs or how many they have these days but I think it is a horrible abortion of a good game that should have either died or just left alone to follow it's own path and mists of pandaland is even worse at least by the looks of it.

It's not that I personally don't like it, it's just plain boring and pointless but then again I never cared for collecting useless stuff with no gameplay value like pets, achievements, mounts etc. Might be the reason why I don't like it any more. So go figure:P

Tl;dr. Personal opinion: WoW:cata, business wise, Warhammer Online.

FFXIV by a long shot. Even though atrocities like Tabula Rasa aren't even in your list - it's still FFXIV. It was so bad, developers formally apologized for releasing it and said they will re-release it again in a more finished state, free for all the people who bought it in the first place. SWTOR isn't BAD, not by far, in fact it is one of the best MMO that came out in last years. If there is a problem with SWTOR, it is that they overhyped a wow-clone, while openly admitting that they are making a wow-clone. I think if it was made as a more independently-minded game, I would have fared better.

Also, why did you put GW2 on the list? The game isn't even out yet, how can it be "failed"?
    The night is dark and full of terrors...