Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Bobby Kotick says EA has lost its way

Found this neat link:

http://www.tgdaily.com/games-and-ent...s-lost-its-way

What do you guys think about it?

This article is 18 months old (1.5 years), so this was written well before the recent controversies with EA.
    This was not something that was just recently stated.
    Last edited by Edge-; 2012-04-22 at 03:03 AM.
    Intel i7-10700k | ASUS ROG STRIX Z490-F GAMING
    ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 2080 Ti | 2x 8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2400Mhz
    A-Data SSD SP920 256GB | Seagate 1TB 7200rpm | NZXT Kraken x62
    Fractal Design Define R6 TG | be quiet! Dark Power Pro 11 650W | Asus ROG Swift PG279Q
    Razer: Blackwidow Elite | Basilisk Ultimate | Nari Ultimate| Firefly | NZXT Hue+

10+ Year Old Account
    As much as I agree with him, he still makes me want to punch him in the face. :/

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss
    I DOODLE!

it's kind of like the pot calling the kettle black

"[Yeah], they [do] have some [talent]. [For example], the team that makes Madden is a really great team - it's been able to manage, capture and keep some good people."
    Let me paraphrase: Yeah EA have some money makers, for example, the team that makes a new Madden with tiny differences each year reaping huge financial gains is something I wish I could steal from EA.

Seriously, I don't like to wish someone dead but what that muppet does to the games industry is disgusting, and I wish he was gone. I think it's insane that he quotes Infinity Ward who Activision screwed over and now they are a shell of what they used to be, or Sledgehammer who are responsible for MW3's utterly terrible multiplayer that drove me to be a BF3 player (not that I mind, great game).

Screw Bobby Kotick, and everything he stands for.
    Last edited by Tarien; 2012-04-22 at 02:28 AM.

Indeed, EA's pretty deep in a rut right now, though I do echo the sentiments above about the whole pot/kettle thing. He's right about them being unable to get talented people. Someone who can "write their own ticket" as it were aren't likely to choose to work for a company that is as hated by the public as EA is right now. I mean, they just beat out Bank of America for worst company. That's pretty damn impressive. No, they're going to choose to work for someone who has a great track record and is doing well, because that would offer them the most opportunity in their careers.

Quote Originally Posted by Moontalon View Post
    Indeed, EA's pretty deep in a rut right now, though I do echo the sentiments above about the whole pot/kettle thing. He's right about them being unable to get talented people. Someone who can "write their own ticket" as it were aren't likely to choose to work for a company that is as hated by the public as EA is right now. I mean, they just beat out Bank of America for worst company. That's pretty damn impressive. No, they're going to choose to work for someone who has a great track record and is doing well, because that would offer them the most opportunity in their careers.
    FYI the article linked is 18months old, so was posted LOOOONG before the EA worst company award, Origin or any recent news.
    Last edited by Tarien; 2012-04-22 at 09:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tarien View Post
    Let me paraphrase: Yeah EA have some money makers, for example, the team that makes a new Madden with tiny differences each year reaping huge financial gains is something I wish I could steal from EA.

Seriously, I don't like to wish someone dead but what that fucker does to the games industry is disgusting, and I wish he was gone. I think it's insane that he quotes Infinity Ward who Activision fucked over and now they are a shell of what they used to be, or Sledgehammer who are responsible for MW3's utterly shite multiplayer that drove me to be a BF3 player (not that I mind, great game).

Fuck Bobby Kotick, and everything he stands for.
    Rather than actually look at EA's situation and what they've done to be in this rut, you decided to rage about Kotick.

Lol someone beat me too it, I love the Madden comment. EA is here to stay and Activision I don't believe is actually any better. Madden and FIFA alone along with the Sims is enough to keep EA floating a long time. I find both those companies to be just as awful as the other. I like his we don't take and Change to EA - Vancouver we let companies keep their identity. Blizzard North ring any bells lol. They are trying hard to do with their games what EA has done with sports games. I mean lets be real is Diablo 1 2 and 3 really much different beyond graphic updates. Its like looking at Madden 93, Madden 01 and Madden 12. Same thing with WoW and SCII. Still, its a stab at them because they tried to cut into the MMO world with SWtOR and actually did okay for a bit. Not that SWtOR is outta hand awesome or going to jump to 10mill or anything, still its Kotick sticking his thumb in their eye a bit.

edit: Didn't realize this was that old....never mind the SWtOR comment. Still could have been a warning shot.

A company CEO says their competition isn't as good as them.

...is this really what news has become?

Quote Originally Posted by mvallas View Post

Lol, I think the term news is generally misused. I don't even know if there is a news channel outside C-span lol. All last week was "Is Mitt Romney Funny?" Every channel was concerned with Mitt Romney being funny, seriously, they pay these tards 6 figures to ask questions like that. At least this is semi news lol sorta maybe lol

Quote Originally Posted by Ausr View Post
    Rather than actually look at EA's situation and what they've done to be in this rut, you decided to rage about Kotick.
    Was still more on topic than this post. Next time PM me, or just report me. Also the article is over a year and a half old, it's old news and probably shouldn't have been posted at all. EA have obviously released some pretty big games recently. But then they've also released Origin and won worst company.

EA Were responsable for the piece of poo that was NFS : Shift 2 - I say responsable because if it wasnt for them it would have turned out really great. The developers took the engine and moved off to make their own game Project Cars, which is basically what NFS Shift 2 should have been, and it is coming along fantastic, as Shift 2 would have if not for EA.

EA have a stack em high and sell em cheap mentality, worry about the quality and complaints after they collected the bank balance from their overhyped games that they rushed out the door before they were finished. Not all the games under EA are this way, but a great many have been spoiled this way.

I love the sports game rages. It never fails to be brought up in these discussions, somehow. That and CoD.

OT: Eh, it's some nice sentiments, but EA's still as solid a money-maker as always. The problem is they're in an unsustainable 'spam successful games until they aren't successful' mode, supported by a few key franchises that have still managed a modicum of success. Just like Activision. The only difference is Activision's key franchises are much bigger. Reminds me a bit of Nexon Korea, buying as many MMOs as possible to publish, barely supporting them until they inevitably fail and making as much money off the playerbase as possible.

It's not really a problem with EA or Activision. It's a problem with the industry that's already fixing itself.

EA has lost its way. Just look at what it did to the Command and Conquer series after it acquired Westwood Studios.

Quote Originally Posted by mvallas View Post

I'd love to see what he has to say about Valve.

10+ Year Old Account
    This is no different than two political parties taking jabs at each other.

10+ Year Old Account
    As funny as it is that the CEO of Activision is saying this, I do have to agree with him. EA has been going downhill for a long time, and I'm glad that the masses are slowly starting to acknowledge this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbazz
    MMO champion for example used to be the center of WoW theorycrafting

10+ Year Old Account
    LOL. That's pretty funny.

Activision has successfully ran some of the greatest franchises in history into the ground like a railroad spike. Although I do agree, I don't care for either of the companies, nor do I buy from them for the most part. Still, Kotick saying this is hypocracy at it's finest.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    EA has lost its way. Just look at what it did to the Command and Conquer series after it acquired Westwood Studios.
    So much of this

Quote Originally Posted by Sting View Post
    So much of this
    Indeed. I needed an anger therapist after buying C&C3.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    What do you mean, Red Alert 2 was the last C&C game.

LET ME DREAM DAMN IT