Page 11 of 24 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    The term "near miss" absolutely SHITS me.

Let look at 2 planes that nearly collide in the sky.....its not a near miss, if they "nearly missed" they would have friggen collided.
    Its a near hit, they "nearly" HIT each other....

Quote Originally Posted by Druidjezus View Post
    You've inspired me to add one of mine.

I agree with most on here and would like to add:

Putting "the" before nouns that simply do not and should not have it.

Example:

"I took the 5 home from work today"

I know there is nothing grammatically wrong with this, however it seems redundant and pointless.

And then another non-phrase that annoys me, when people use percentages to lie for advertising purposes.

"The new 2012 X uses 300% less Y than the 2010 X"

No, just no. You can't divide the new figure by the old figure and call it a 300% decrease. A 100% decrease means it is already NOTHING!!!

And then another thing is people who come up with "mathematical formulas" for abstract concepts and draw them in such a way to look catchy with no regard for what the terms would actually mean.

And then when people say "that's just your opinion" to things that are objective, that also drives me nuts.

I had a guildie who wrote "could of" "should of" "would of" so many times I "could of" ripped his head off. The sad part was that it was one of his less offensive rapes of the english language.
    The only one of those I have to disagree with would be "the 5". I could say I took I-5 home, sure. but saying I took the 5 home isn't grammatically incorrect.
    THE- "Used before an object considered to be unique, or of which there is only one at a time. [from 10th c.]" <-- From wiktionary, so may not be 100% fact knowing how anyone can edit it, but It is used like that in this case. THE 5 is unique, and there can only ever be one, like in highlander.

Quote Originally Posted by Ihazcakeforu View Post
    The term "near miss" absolutely SHITS me.

Let look at 2 planes that nearly collide in the sky.....its not a near miss, if they "nearly missed" they would have friggen collided.
    Its a near hit, they "nearly" HIT each other....
    I've agreed with almost everything in this thread, but this one seems fine to me. It's just specifying that it was a miss, but was still close.

Also, "near miss" and "nearly missed" aren't the same thing so your example is flawed.

Technically it doesn't have to be grammatically incorrect to annoy you, so you're still welcome to be annoyed by it, but there's nothing wrong with the phrase "near miss".

cheers!

Deleted
    "Spawn more overlords"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DoctorAcula View Post
    "It is what it is."
    This. So much this. I hate this saying. I don't know why people say it, it doesn't even make sense. Obviously it is or else it wouldn't be. It's redundant and I feel like punching a baby whenever someone says this. I just want to look at them and say, "...Duh?" </rage>
    Quote Originally Posted by Frankennoob View Post
    How dare they include fantastic and mysterious wonders in my fantasy game? All the graphics and story just get in the way of my enjoying optimizing the spreadsheet that defines my character.
    [G] [Ravenwake]: I been loot mastered by kerf for so long, I dont know any other way? is it abuse? is it love? who can tell
    Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:36 am // Symara: I'll tell them Chuck Norris wears Kerfanna Pyjamas.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomzter View Post
    "Spawn more overlords"
    This.

In other news:
    Swag. Pisses me off, the only time it's acceptable is when you're taking the piss from something or someone.

Another one is when people put "..." at the end of a sentence which doesn't need/have/desire to have, some examples from my gaming time:
    "LF LWer..."
    "Can I go on a bio?..."
    "Gz..."

Stupid. Obscene. Gets me everytime.

Don't get me wrong though, when it's appropriate, I have no problem with it, some MORE examples
    "Say what's over here...?"
    "Maybe if we used this..."
    "I seem to have lost it..."
    When the person actually is going on to say something, or they're not waiting on a reply. Otherwise it's just stupid.

Deleted
    It really annoys me when some one says to me: hey it's going to be better next time

I could care less - sets my teeth on edge

"straw-man argument" - 9 times out of 10 when I see this being said about someones opinion, the thread then consists of 2 or 3 people arguing over whose argument is the most "straw-man" like, and how the other guy doesn't understand what it means... etc, etc... it just irritates me.

febuary
    fustrated
    obviously - too often what is being explained is not obvious.
    know what I mean? - no, but I'm trying to figure it out by listening carefully.

SWAG. GOD I HATE THAT FUCKING WORD.
    You don't have 'Swag', you asshat, you have 'Class', and apparently you couldn't find it even if you had help from a hall monitor.
    I don't know why, but it's just one of those words that make me want to punch a baby every time I hear it.
    Almost lost my last job for going off on some chick who said it in my store. Ugh.
    Also, anything that Lil Wayne or Kanye West says that becomes a hit and everyone starts saying it. Like, 'Cray'. Really? Fucking. Really.
    'That shit Cray'. Or YOLO.
    ALSO, it's not a saying, but HASH-FUCKING-TAGS. KEEP THEM IN TWITTER, AND OUT OF MY TEXT MESSAGES/IN PERSON CONVERSATIONS.
    I had someone tell me, I shit you not "..Ew, that's Hashtag gross". She actually said Hashtag. Have you ever felt your hand charge up? Like you were going to bitch slap someone? No? Neither have I, until that day. Took all my willpower, and a quick silent prayer to Jesus to keep my hand down..
    Fucking people today.

any and all lines coming from white suburbia trying to be all gansta

10+ Year Old Account
    Not a phrase,

People in Western Australia always use "Aye" or "Ey" to ask a question.. example

"Pretty hot today ey"
    Somtimes when its a statement too,

"Ran out of beer ey"

pissed me off!

"Seriously?"
    "Like seriously?"

It annoys me the most if it's in video games....especially with that annoying teenage girl tone...

My favourite however is "Baylife"

Baylife bro!
    Ours not to make reply. Ours not to reason why. Ours but to do and die!

Deleted
    People who start "Basically..." and then go on to explain something in great detail.

Deleted
    "Uhmmm" - Please just take a moment to decide what you want to say, no need to fill the dead air with some primal moan

Quote Originally Posted by Mortezu View Post
    "Seriously?"
    "Like seriously?"

It annoys me the most if it's in video games....especially with that annoying teenage girl tone...

My favourite however is "Baylife"

Baylife bro!
    Someone watches TSM...

"Yo bro dude bro, BAYLIFE I DON'T GIVE A FUCK!" Real.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not so much a phrase but...

"You play WoW! NO LIFE. Look at Jimmy, he plays CoD as much as you play WoW and he is sooooo cool. We all know what CoD is and that it requires skill. Get out more and get some friends, NERD."

Cannot stand people these days.

Back in the 80's consoles were considered nerdy, look @ playing an Xbox360 now, it's "hip."

---------- Post added 2012-04-13 at 12:18 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Leggomyeggo View Post
    - me and {insert name} - it should be {insert name} and I
    You can actually say "[insert name] and me" when you are referring to an object of a preposition. It's weird, and everyone in my college Eng class got that question wrong on a test we took. We even challenged the teacher; we all felt that she was wrong, but I guess not.

---------- Post added 2012-04-13 at 12:21 PM ----------

IF OBAMA WASN'T SUCH A BAD PRESIDENT, THE GAS PRICES WOULDN'T BE SO HIGH.

Hate the 80% of Americans who believe this ^. All the Democrats are stupid for blaming Bush when he was in administration and all the Republicans are idiotic for applying it to the current Democrat.

---------- Post added 2012-04-13 at 12:26 PM ----------

I know, right?

I ALWAYS respond with "No, you don't know, left." The person who said "I know, right?" always gets confused.
    Last edited by Klutzington; 2012-04-13 at 04:26 PM.

When people write lol or lmao and nothing is funny.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zulandia View Post
    ...Anyways not to go completely offtopic I really just hate any phrases...

It's anyway, not anyways.

---------- Post added 2012-04-13 at 12:29 PM ----------

Girls on facebook who cannot insult anyone without the use of "lol" to soften to blow of the insult. "You're so fat and I fucking hate you, lol. <3"

Quote Originally Posted by Frostyqt View Post
    It's anyway, not anyways.

---------- Post added 2012-04-13 at 12:29 PM ----------

Girls on facebook who cannot insult anyone without the use of "lol" to soften to blow of the insult. "You're so fat and I fucking hate you, lol. <3"
    Sorry for going abit offtopic

I hate anti bully stuff, it's pointless, why do you want to remove something that create balance in this world?