Poll: Batman or Spider-man?

Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Spider-man or Batman?

Hey folks,

First of all, I'm not sure this is in the right area (could also fit well in the movies/books subforum) so if I placed it wrong I sincerely apologize, as I put it here because it's not "directly" linked to just the comics or movie versions of both characters.

Back on track:

Which do you prefer - Batman or Spider-man?

This is not a "combat" scenario where you're trying to argue which one would win in a fist fight, the question is which one you think is the "best" overall hero, and why.

I thought of this after watching a bunch of Batman and Spider-man movies over the last couple weeks, plus a Spider-man thread here in the OT section, and I thought it'd be an interesting question.

I'll leave with my own opinion: Batman.

Spider-man feels a little "one-dimensional" to me when Batman does feel a bit more realistic and "human". Spider-man, specially in the movies, always focused too much on MJ and she feels more like a "weak spot" than an interesting story element most of the time.

Batman is usually, to me, a more likeable character. In the previous movies he tends to be more of a James Bond-like womanizer, but in the 2 recent additions, for example, he uses that only as a cover-up as to look like a real trust-fund billionaire playboy and avoid suspicion. He also seems more focused and less prone to "psychological" torment, like Spider-man, even though he does have the whole dead parents issue going on.

Spidey does have his good arguments though! He does HAVE actual superpowers which usually encompass superhuman strength and fortitude and the ability to cling to walls like a spider (doh!). The web-flinging depends on what you see.. In some media he can spin webs naturally, in others he needs a gadget attached to his wrists, which he activates by doing that "metalhead-like" hand sign as the button is on the palm of his hand.

Batman on the other hand "only" has his technology as a superpower (plus training in some of the media). This can also be seen as a strong point since Spider-man is kinda limited to his powers while Batman can always innovate with new tech and resources, thus giving much more versatility.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm going to have to go with Batman. I just like that the guy can face down people who can tear down entire cities without breaking a sweat and defeat them through nothing more than training, willpower, intelligence, and the occasional neat toy, with no superpowers at all.

I mean, the guy faced down Darkseid, for crying out loud, and several times has beaten the big blue boyscout. He even had workable plans to take out the entire JSA at once!

Batman all the way! He's just a normal human, no super powers nothing, altho he does have a mighty big check book, so maybe not that normal, but it feels to me more like, if he can make a difference, than so can i (i just don't care enough to try)

Spiderman has to get bitten by a radioactive spider to manage anything.

Plus Batman is the only one who's alter ego isn't some wimpy guy, Bruce Wayne is one cool bastard!
    Congratulations, you've conformed to societies idea of a non-conformist!

Batman. Rivaled only by Green Lantern. Green Lantern has the better mythos, but Batman, in his best moments, is beyond normal superhero writing. He's iconic. His character is well-explored, he's got literally the best rogues gallery in all of comicdom, his games are much better than basically every licensed game ever, and he's somebody people want to be (at least in that fantastical way.)

Spider-Man is more 'human' but that makes him boring to me. Either run with the superhero thing, parody it, or don't bother. His stories are ok. Marvel stories in general but especially in movies are more fun and accessible, but that doesn't really appeal to me.

Batman because it's fucking Batman and not some socially awkward person who acquired super powers while doing nothing. I always thought the villains from Spiderman were cooler than Spiderman himself.

Not a big reader of the Comic Books ...

And I'm only 19 so I'm only basing my opinion on any Spiderman/Batman games and movies made after like 2000.

But Simply put Nolan Batman Movies DESTROYS the Sam Raimi Spiderman Trilogy.

And Batman Arkham Asylum and Arkham City Video Games also DESTROYS any Spiderman games i've played (Mainly the ones based off the Raimi Trilogy).

And sure you could say "Well that's unfair because you're basing opinion off 2002+ Movie trilogy VS 2005+ and games that were made in 2002+ VS 2009+" ... Well all I can say to that is KOTOR is my second favorite video game of all time... And Lord of the Rings is my favorite movie/s of all time ... So the time it was made in means nothing as long as it's actually done WELL.

10+ Year Old Account
    Daverid, you should read The Dark Knight Returns. You should be able to find it easily enough as a graphic novel. While Frank Miller does show his usual contempt of and seething hatred for liberals throughout, it does show Batman at his most badass, and it's the series that pretty much redefined the character.

Anyone who got the money and the will can be hero like batman so I go with the batman.

Deleted
    Prefer Spiderman. No reason why.

I respect Batman the most, simply because he has no powers. And he definitely has the coolest costume and personality of the super heroes. However, going off the comics, Spiderman has the coolest villains of any, especially Carnage and Venom.

10+ Year Old Account
    Batman. Wealthy individual during the day. Crime fighting badass with all sorts of gadgets by night.

Deleted
    Batman... All those gadgets *drool*.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you want to compare stature it should be Iron-man and Batman. I dont know the equivalent to Spider-man.

10+ Year Old Account
    I am not into the comics, but from the films, I am with Batman. While Tobey Maguire is likable and amazing as Spider-Man, Christian Bale is phenomenal as Batman in the Nolan trilogy. I also like the Batman-universe more than the Spider-Man universe.

well the amazing spider man is also a bit of a genius but he lacks the money that batman has :P
    Cryptdefiler level 90 warlock

Always preferred Spider Man. And the fact Spider Man should be able to kick Bat Man's ass. No sneak-attacks verses Spidy-senses!

/Let the war begin

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimord View Post
    Hey folks,

First of all, I'm not sure this is in the right area (could also fit well in the movies/books subforum) so if I placed it wrong I sincerely apologize, as I put it here because it's not "directly" linked to just the comics or movie versions of both characters.

Back on track:

Which do you prefer - Batman or Spider-man?

This is not a "combat" scenario where you're trying to argue which one would win in a fist fight, the question is which one you think is the "best" overall hero, and why.

I thought of this after watching a bunch of Batman and Spider-man movies over the last couple weeks, plus a Spider-man thread here in the OT section, and I thought it'd be an interesting question.

I'll leave with my own opinion: Batman.

Spider-man feels a little "one-dimensional" to me when Batman does feel a bit more realistic and "human". Spider-man, specially in the movies, always focused too much on MJ and she feels more like a "weak spot" than an interesting story element most of the time.

Batman is usually, to me, a more likeable character. In the previous movies he tends to be more of a James Bond-like womanizer, but in the 2 recent additions, for example, he uses that only as a cover-up as to look like a real trust-fund billionaire playboy and avoid suspicion. He also seems more focused and less prone to "psychological" torment, like Spider-man, even though he does have the whole dead parents issue going on.

Spidey does have his good arguments though! He does HAVE actual superpowers which usually encompass superhuman strength and fortitude and the ability to cling to walls like a spider (doh!). The web-flinging depends on what you see.. In some media he can spin webs naturally, in others he needs a gadget attached to his wrists, which he activates by doing that "metalhead-like" hand sign as the button is on the palm of his hand.

Batman on the other hand "only" has his technology as a superpower (plus training in some of the media). This can also be seen as a strong point since Spider-man is kinda limited to his powers while Batman can always innovate with new tech and resources, thus giving much more versatility.
    I voted for Batman, but I think you're selling Spidey short on the tech. He invented his own web spinners, and uses his knowledge and intelligence to come up with tech solutions for things all the time.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Batman x100000!

Spiderman sucks compared to batman.

I guess for no particular reason, i've just prefered batman.

Deleted
    Batman can be noire and can be quite good.Spider-man is good too but some situations are sooo artificial that it burns my eyes.I prefer batman 51-49 spider-man

10+ Year Old Account
    Man... my two favorite superheroes are Batman and Spiderman, so it's a tough call. I think I'll have to go with Batman, though.
    And now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.