Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    Deleted
    Minor infraction= Lock the person out of the thread that made him/her behave undesirable. winwin situation?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeavline View Post
    Minor infraction= Lock the person out of the thread that made him/her behave undesirable. winwin situation?
    What about infractions for PMs?
    Lock the person from sending PMs to the person, who reported?
    I have enough of EA ruining great franchises and studios, forcing DRM and Origin on their games, releasing incomplete games only to sell day-1 DLCs or spill dozens of DLCs, and then saying it, and microtransactions, is what players want, stopping players from giving EA games poor reviews, as well as deflecting complaints with cheap PR tricks.

I'm not going to buy any game by EA as long as they continue those practices.

Quote Originally Posted by Pilkie View Post
    The moderation and infractions are fine, i actually wish they was more strict. I've never been infracted (that i know of!) and honestly it's as simple as just treating people like you would irl, none of this internet hero mentality.
    No way, this is the most strict moderated forum I have ever been on, secondly being HFboards but even that isn't as bad as MMO-Champion. A forum is a place for discussion and issuing out infractions for giving an opinion or someone not agreeing with another is not acceptable. I understand some people get out of hand but when the threads get completely derailed is when moderating needs to be applied.

Someone mentioned is not being a democracy but it honestly feels like communism, you are limited by what you can say. I don't see the deal with calling someone ignorant or stupid just as long as you aren't going all out like "omg you are the stupidest motherfucker i have ever witnessed are both of your parents fucking retards?" would be out of hand.

Memes are also part of the internet, I don't see a problem with them when in my opinion makes the thread for a good laugh. Banning people for posting lmgtfy links is just nuts, I mean really does it hurt people's feelings that much?

Moderating here just needs to be less strict. It amazes me though how people will get infracted for what people call "QQ posts" but not the ones telling other to shut up and quit bitching. People have the right to be upset, I understand you don't want to hear about, and if you don't want to hear about it just don't read the thread. You can always tell when it's going to be one of those threads anyways so why even walk in it? Let the people who agree with them discuss their discomfort with what game they have a problem with.

Just saw a couple posts above me, I don't understand why they don't just add censoring to words on the forum if they are going to be so strict about it.
    Last edited by hawtlol; 2012-04-10 at 04:07 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by procne View Post
    Well yes, if necessary. Don't we have an ignore option as well?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by procne View Post
    Personally, unless you're really harassing the person, I don't think you should be infracted for it.

I once got an infraction for - very politely, I might add - PM'ing someone a correction in their spelling. They wrote a paragraph basically, and spelled the same word wrong repeatedly. I didn't want to publicly embarrass them, but it was still an eyesore, and I'd done it before - usually met with "Oh, thanks".

Instead, I did it this one time, and the reply was "TROLOLOLOLOL"; I then got a message later saying I had received an infraction.
    Now, my real problem was, if it's against the rules to correct people's spelling on the forum, and it's against the rules to call someone a troll on the forum - and it's against the rules to correct people's spelling in PM, doesn't it stand to reason it would be against the rules to call someone a troll in PM?

Apparently the moderator didn't think so. (It tells you which messages in a private conversation received an infraction, if any.)

Again, I didn't make too much of a stink about it, because it didn't end up resulting in a suspension, but it's things like this that make me shake my head in disappointment.

---------- Post added 2012-04-10 at 09:06 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by hawtlol View Post
    Someone mentioned is not being a democracy but it honestly feels like communism, you are limited by what you can say.
    That isn't a tenet of communism. Nor is free speech a tenet of democracy.

I'm just saying.

10+ Year Old Account
    Don't think as the points as your punishment. They are your warnings. If you get one, try and chill out. If you get 2, really really try and chill out. If you get 3, you deserve a 3-day as a punishment to show you that you're on the path to being perma-banned.

Use this experience as a stepping stone, rather than a stumbling block.

/brown-nose

There've been numerous times I've wanted to call someone out for a crap comment. If I didn't feel I would argue a point logically and 'professionally', I didn't bother. If a post isn't worth a full multi-paragraph refutation, it's not worth commenting at all. Either report an offending post, or ignore it completely. Keep in mind, this is the internet, you're not likely going to win an argument, so don't bother disagreeing if you're not willing to see things out to their conclusion (which, at best, is an agreement to disagree).

Sure, there are times you might get infracted for a very minor incident, but that should be a good thing; if the mods give an inch, posters take a mile (or kilometer, depending on which side of the pond they're on). Get away with calling someone ignorant, and before long you're being infracted for calling someone something far worse. "yeah, I called him an F'n _____, but that's the same as saying he's ignorant".

Mods are people, and not all people see things the same way. Just as you think X is great and I don't, different people see different levels of offensiveness as potential trouble. It's not enough to be reactive and respond to a violation; infractions exist as a form of proactivity; if they scare you off from taking risks in your posts, they're saving themselves trouble down the line.

/end brown-nose

Hotmail and Gmail addresses are free. It's super hard to get around a ban.

I think the Infraction system does indeed need some slight changes possibly but a bigger issue is monitoring of those handing out infractions. Yesterday i opened a thread, one about someone 3 manning Cho'Gall or something and like every second comment had been infracted, all by the same mod of course. Now im sure SOME of them were deserved (didnt read the WHOLE thread) but some of them, personally i was like.. i think someone got a little infraction happy.

So possibly greater moderation of moderators would be more the go than a general change to the Infraction system itself.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by tiporispit View Post
    Hotmail and Gmail addresses are free. It's super hard to get around a ban.
    But it's super inconvenient Making a new MMOC account is like leveling an alt and you'll have to go back to the boring lowbie zones to gather post counts and re-establish your old reputation.

Yeah the infraction system can sometimes feel unjustified for whatever reason.

There are many ways around it though, if you knowingly want to make a non-constructive post or you have a certain amount of infractions on your current account just make a new one using a new email address and also mask your IP address.

It's a little bit of hassle but honestly doesn't take long.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Atrea View Post
    Instead, I did it this one time, and the reply was "TROLOLOLOLOL"; I then got a message later saying I had received an infraction.
    Now, my real problem was, if it's against the rules to correct people's spelling on the forum, and it's against the rules to call someone a troll on the forum - and it's against the rules to correct people's spelling in PM, doesn't it stand to reason it would be against the rules to call someone a troll in PM?

Apparently the moderator didn't think so. (It tells you which messages in a private conversation received an infraction, if any.)
    I could be wrong but I don't think mods can see pms unless they are reported. So the reply where he accused you of trolling was probably not seen.

Quote Originally Posted by Gnowo View Post
    If I understand Rawt correctly -and I think I do- it's about allowing moderators to set the number of points per infraction, rather than a set amount of points per category. I myself have been given the same treatment a few times. Not always intentionally or severely breaking the rules, but always end up with 5 more points.

For example, me calling someone a troll would still let the moderator deal 5 points of damage. But me telling someone to "stop being an idiot" would give me only 3 points, as the moderator acknowledges that the other person was, in fact, acting like an idiot.

I realize how this would create situations where one person ends up banned (5 points while already having 10) while someone else only gets 3 points for the same kind of violation. But if that means you don't get temporary banned for something very minor, I am all in favor of such a system.
    The rule is that you cant flame other users, it doesnt matter if you or the moderator think the other user was acting good or bad (if the mod think the other user was acting bad he will punish the other one too) so why would calling someone an idiot would give les spoint than calling someone a troll? If anything, you should get 10 points for calling other user an idiot, not 5.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lockblock View Post
    I could be wrong but I don't think mods can see pms unless they are reported. So the reply where he accused you of trolling was probably not seen.
    You might be right; in that case, the entire conversation should be visible when reported, so that the context can be more readily-examined.

Quote Originally Posted by alms1407 View Post
    Yeah the infraction system can sometimes feel unjustified for whatever reason.

There are many ways around it though, if you knowingly want to make a non-constructive post or you have a certain amount of infractions on your current account just make a new one using a new email address and also mask your IP address.

It's a little bit of hassle but honestly doesn't take long.
    Not that simple actually.

Anyway. The infraction system works for us and infracting for smaller things prevents them from becoming bigger things. If you've been on the forums for years, you probably remember how bad the forums were before we deployed the new system and I don't think anyone to go back there.

As for "stupid" infractions, we do have a few of those every now and then and that's why we have the ban appeal system where the entire moderation team reviews them and vote to keep or revert them. If you get banned because a moderator misinterpreted something, it will be reverted.

That's about it, going to close the thread since the new topic is "how to fuck the rules, go around bans, and get your alt permbanned + your main account banned even longer when the admins find out".