Mistweaver Dualwielding

So I lvled up my monk all the way up to 85 for the past 2 weeks.

At the point that i headed to Outland, I found that the weapon damage of Int 2hander on outland are so terrible that my melee felt like scratching.
    So i came up with the solution of dual wielding a spell 1h on mainhand and melee 1h on offhand.
    Turned out it had done a pretty good job to sustain both my spell damage and melee damage.
    And eventually I stick with it till 85lvl.

Do you think it would be still viable in high-end content, that giving up a certain amount of stats for a boost in melee damage as a mistweaver?
    Considering part of the healing are converted by your melee damage. (if they don't really make a big change to mistweavers healing model)

I don't really have great gear to test things out, using only the 372 greens from vendors.
    My personal experience on dungeon is that on direct heal I don't really feel big different
    but I'm really happy to see my melee attack increased for around 1k per hits.
    Last edited by Rebirth; 2012-04-08 at 09:19 PM.

I was actually thinking that myself, to be honest. Of course, there would probably need to be some number crunching first on whether Mistweavers should just stick with spell staves or dual wield spell and melee weapons...

It's also still the beta so it may change down the road, so it's probably still too early to tell. =/

i am guessing they make dual wield a brewmaster/windwalker core ability. Much like the enh shaman vs resto shamans.

For soloing, sure, i don't see why not. Healing you definitely want a Staff or caster OH though.

Quote Originally Posted by huth View Post
    For soloing, sure, i don't see why not. Healing you definitely want a Staff or caster OH though.
    Problem is, they got away with spell OH (other than wands and shields) because Enhancement Shamans used to be able to dual wield spell weapons to get absurd numbers. Granted, you can still find spell OH weapons, but not at high levels...

With the way things stand, it's likely you won't get spell OH weapons in MoP either so dual wielding spell weapons for Mistweavers won't work, so the only logical thing is that if you want to dual wield as a Mistweaver the OH needs to be an attack weapon. The OP is asking if that idea is feasible, I believe. If it's not at all, then why are Mistweavers even given an option to dual wield? Something is going on here...

Caster OH = stat stick. Not talking about a weapon. Spell weapons that can be used in the offhand would be way overpowered for monks, unless they give no extra SP.

And because it's easier to give the entire class dual wield than to give it to only 2 out of 3 specs.

Have you tried using all AGI gear? Currently in all AGI gear I can heal a group without ever targeting a person. Since most of our heals uses CHI there is no point in INT gear. I use a polearm and wear all AGI gear to heal jade temple.

When you can do that in endgame, we'll talk. Besides, nothing is balanced yet, at most, we have rough ballpark numbers.

Caster OH = stat stick. Not talking about a weapon. Spell weapons that can be used in the offhand would be way overpowered for monks, unless they give no extra SP.

And because it's easier to give the entire class dual wield than to give it to only 2 out of 3 specs.
    I don't get this logic because even now they have 2 classes limited to 1 spec each being able to dual wield (Fury for warriors and Enhancement for shaman).

When you can do that in endgame, we'll talk. Besides, nothing is balanced yet, at most, we have rough ballpark numbers.
    Mistweavers are far from finished and they don't even have a ballpark number yet. Take a look at the spells. Many of our heals don't even use Mana. Plus, INT doesn't give Mana anymore so we're all capped at 100k mana. Sprits give mana regen but we have a skill that give us mana based on how much we used our Chi.

Also, we have skills that heals based on how much damage we do. The more damage we do the more we heal. So I don't see us using INT gear as the game is at the moment.

There will need ot be some major changes for us to use INT gear. Just saying Right Now in beta Mistweavers are OP'd with AGI gear.

Quote Originally Posted by fearcazic View Post
    Mistweavers are far from finished and they don't even have a ballpark number yet. Take a look at the spells. Many of our heals don't even use Mana. Plus, INT doesn't give Mana anymore so we're all capped at 100k mana. Sprits give mana regen but we have a skill that give us mana based on how much we used our Chi.

Also, we have skills that heals based on how much damage we do. The more damage we do the more we heal. So I don't see us using INT gear as the game is at the moment.

There will need ot be some major changes for us to use INT gear. Just saying Right Now in beta Mistweavers are OP'd with AGI gear.
    How do you heal 5 mans with Agility gear?
    The only ability that scales with agility that heals passively without serpent statues is Spinning Crane Kick.
    Is this sufficient for trash? I ask because it seems mandatory for physical healing to have 2 statues active on bosses. Their cooldown is fairly restrictive and doesn't really allow for one every trash pull.

Not to mention that you can't heal through SCK until level 72. Before that, all healing spells are int-based.

Also, Cherry Mana Tea is bugged currently. I got only 172 mana per tick when i had 8.8k.

Do monks even have abilties that use off hand attacks?
    Don't really see a point to using an offhand weapon if all you get is some infrequent off-hand white hits.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    I believe Jab replacements hit with both weapons simultaneously?

Quote Originally Posted by Tobley View Post
    How do you heal 5 mans with Agility gear?
    The only ability that scales with agility that heals passively without serpent statues is Spinning Crane Kick.
    Is this sufficient for trash? I ask because it seems mandatory for physical healing to have 2 statues active on bosses. Their cooldown is fairly restrictive and doesn't really allow for one every trash pull.
    It's nerfed. Lastnight I couldn't heal in AGI gear anymore. In the previous build my pre-made were healing for 7k and crits for 14k with spinning crane. Also both statues were healing 50% of my damage each. Plus I would drop in Renew Mist and Uplift in my DPS rotation.

Lastnight, AGI didn't heal much at all, Spinning Crane Kick heals for 1.5k and 3k crits now.

Before the nerf it was very fun playing a mistweaver (they were OP'd though) but not because they were OP'd. It was because it was easy and worry free. Blizzard will have a hard time with this class. Currently, it is very clunky to play a mistweaver because I have to DPS the trash or Boss but at the same time keep an eye out on everyone's HP. Switch targets and heal them and then continue to DPS the boss for CHI.

The problem is on fights where I have to run away from stuff on the ground. I stop to Heal the tank but he (and melee) runs the boss away to avoid black stuff on the ground. Now multiple black stuff are on the ground between me and the Boss. How am I suppose to get to the boss to DPS it for CHI and at the same time I have to heal the Tank? As a holy pally or priest I can just stand back and heal.

Kind of a bad game design to introduce these difficulties (dps (target boss) and heal (target tank) at the same time) when other healers can just stand back and heal with ease.

After last night's run I quickly decided to stick with my Holy Pally because I rather just worry about group HP and where I'm standing as opposed to worrying about group HP, where I'm standing, chasing the boss around. and DPSing the boss for resources,

Quote Originally Posted by Nillo View Post
    Do monks even have abilties that use off hand attacks?
    Don't really see a point to using an offhand weapon if all you get is some infrequent off-hand white hits.
    From what i can tell, it affects your damage, but not any more than a similar 2h would. The biggest issue is that most caster weapons have reduced DPS compared to regular melee weapons.

They don't do any strikes which specificially use the offhand, unlike Mutilate or Frost DKs. Weapon damage is simply part of the formula used to calculate ability damage.

If agility healing becomes viable at any point, dual-wielding should provide roughly the same healing as polearms.
    As it is though, it seems like the route is going intellect based regardless if monks are offensive healers or not.
    Ghostcrawler discussed possibly adding spellpower coeffs to Jab, etc.

In that case I'd bet my left nut staves are better than weapon/offhand.

Agility healing has been scrapped.
    Intellect scales your Spellpower(Potency of your abilities), and Crit.
    We also regen from 50% of our spirit now.

Unless they change "healing main-hands" to one-handers instead, I don't see Dual Wielding x2 maces as a possibility.
    Main Hand/Off-hand seems more likely.

Quote Originally Posted by fearcazic View Post
    It's nerfed. Lastnight I couldn't heal in AGI gear anymore. In the previous build my pre-made were healing for 7k and crits for 14k with spinning crane. Also both statues were healing 50% of my damage each. Plus I would drop in Renew Mist and Uplift in my DPS rotation.

Lastnight, AGI didn't heal much at all, Spinning Crane Kick heals for 1.5k and 3k crits now.

Before the nerf it was very fun playing a mistweaver (they were OP'd though) but not because they were OP'd. It was because it was easy and worry free. Blizzard will have a hard time with this class. Currently, it is very clunky to play a mistweaver because I have to DPS the trash or Boss but at the same time keep an eye out on everyone's HP. Switch targets and heal them and then continue to DPS the boss for CHI.

The problem is on fights where I have to run away from stuff on the ground. I stop to Heal the tank but he (and melee) runs the boss away to avoid black stuff on the ground. Now multiple black stuff are on the ground between me and the Boss. How am I suppose to get to the boss to DPS it for CHI and at the same time I have to heal the Tank? As a holy pally or priest I can just stand back and heal.

Kind of a bad game design to introduce these difficulties (dps (target boss) and heal (target tank) at the same time) when other healers can just stand back and heal with ease.

After last night's run I quickly decided to stick with my Holy Pally because I rather just worry about group HP and where I'm standing as opposed to worrying about group HP, where I'm standing, chasing the boss around. and DPSing the boss for resources,
    You do realize you have a 15% chance to gain Chi from Soothing Mists?
    Not to Mention Jasmine Force Tea/ Jinyu' Cider.

If you can Melee a mob, any mob, for 1Chi for 400mana(Lv.86) do it. But don't go out of your way to get in melee range and not heal someone.
    I've leveled a Monk to 1-86, and haven't had any issue going into melee range at all. None of the bosses at least at the moment, don't have "GTFO NAOW" mechanics.
    Last edited by MixelPlx; 2012-04-11 at 11:51 PM.

The newest change where Surging Mist generates a chi should make it a lot simpler now for chi generation and wearing Int gear. Of course you'll still want to do damaging attacks but maybe the scaling off int for those attacks just isn't there yet?
    Originally Posted by Bashiok
    Is there a term you have for being shown proof and choosing to dismiss it?
    Starting a Monk Blog; Celestial Fists: http://celestialfists.blogspot.com/
    Called Garrosh as end boss: 10/28/2011

I cant seem them scaling say, "Spinning Crane Kick" to increase in damage with Intellect due to the amount of healing it does(in its current form at least).
    If anything, They'll buff the ability's and then allow them to scale appropriately for those wearing Agility.

We'll just have to wait and see TBH. There might be mechanics in these future raids that allow us to maybe macro agility dps weapons and healing through that.
    Just aren't sure, and again, it's still very early till anything is closed to finalized.
    Last edited by MixelPlx; 2012-04-11 at 11:50 PM.