Deleted

Baldur's Gate Multiplayer with a Friend - Which classes to choose for more fun?

As the title says my friend and I are going to play Baldur's Gate + TotSC multiplayer, just with his char and my char, no NPC. Since it can be done solo i'm assuming playing with two is pretty doable, so i'm looking for the most fun classes to play (not most powerful). We'll also be playing BG2 + ToB afterwards.

One of us is going to play a mage, I think, as I can't really see anything outshining that class in terms of fun, but the second character, I am unsure about.

People say that druid is really weak in BG and in BG 2.

People also say that pure Cleric is boring, that's why I thought druid might be fun with more offensive spells.

We'd rather not go into multi / dual classing as we want to be able to cast high level spells and using high level abilities.

Also, we are not using TuTu - because of our situation we can only use gameranger, and gameranger cannot be tricked into starting TuTu for BG unfortunately.

So what's the most fun setup? A cleric and a mage? Etc? Thoughts please

10+ Year Old Account
    I played pure Cleric and it's far from boring. For one they get immensely powerful at high level, and are super good against undead. Imho I'd go with a Cleric/Mage combination.

I always loved Sorcs but I haven't played it in ages. I do remember the multi player being a bit awkward since you were both sorta stuck to the same screen concept and couldn't go to multiple different places and buildings solo.
    ~ Never switching off the boss to kill adds and blinking into defile; the story of Swizzle.

Quote Originally Posted by Kinmaul
    Never tell the truth if it's going to make you look bad. You tell them you are an officer in Paragon and that you are fluent in Finnish. Then you can say you are used to long grinds and doing whatever it takes to ensure a big finish.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mnementh View Post
    I always loved Sorcs but I haven't played it in ages. I do remember the multi player being a bit awkward since you were both sorta stuck to the same screen concept and couldn't go to multiple different places and buildings solo.
    Yea you cannot travel to a new map alone. You must move together.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd also say go for a cleric, not boring at all and as Cairhiin said, very powerful at high level with their offensive spells, buffs and healing. As for the second class, I'd say go for a paladin, great solo capability and there's some crazy paladin gear to be had which should make it quite doable with just the two of you. If you don't fancy that, go for a wizard.

Not sure how strict you are with the 'two players only' and on what difficulty you'll be playing, but keep in mind that you are also able to generate and control more than one character / person, so that might be worth looking into as I can imagine some situations that'll be difficult with just 2 characters depending on the difficluty.

I would say chuck a thief in there for those traps and locked chests, Mage/Theif or Cleric/Mage/Theif

When i soled this game a few years ago i did it with a Fighter/Theif was a good laugh but bloody hard at times.

Quote Originally Posted by Cairhiin View Post
    Yea you cannot travel to a new map alone. You must move together.
    "You must gather your party before venturing forth"

On a more productive note, Cleric, thief, perhaps a Fighter/Thief combo. All of those have very useful assets.

Damnit I'm late for the party.
    Cairhiin, I hate your avatar. I must of been mine.

Now, I'd say it depends.
    Are clerics good against vampires? Because if you are planning of taking the Shadow Thieves' side against Bodhi, that is certainly a plus. Vampires immunities are disgusting.
    People often don't recommend to go warrior route cos you can pick up a lot of warriors or tanks along the way, but I liked them tbh. Viconia was my tank late in the game anyways.
    I like mages (maybe sorcerer, but never played them in BG2's D&D rules) because of the instant death-spells and tons of utility.

But what BG2 really needed is a good Bard with archery skills or some sort. I hated Mazzy, and Yoshimo... oh well.
    l'alurl gol zhah elghinyrr gol.

My husband and i did a cleric and necromancer. Was quite fun :P
    Last edited by Sunshine; 2012-05-12 at 02:41 AM.

Who ever is the host should probably be a class capable of ressing the other person.

If the host dies it's game over and you have to load. If the other person dies, you can just res them if you can res.
    My name is Cernunnos, I will love you like no other, I have died a thousand deaths, each time I died I thought of you.

This is something I'd love to do, I havent played multiplayer BG2 in 10 years.

Deleted
    Don't play melee, it's completely broken in that game - nearly all you can do is click to attack :s.