Page 1 of 16
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Best Friend's Wedding -- Not Invited?

I'm wondering if anyone has been in this boat before...

I have been friends with this guy for ten years, up until recently, I've considered him my best friend.

He has a fiance that he's been engaged to for nearly half that time.

I suspect they are finally getting married.

She doesn't like me.

During the planning phase, he's basically gone into hiding from me.

I finally get him on the phone again today, to discover that I'm not invited to the wedding that is around the corner.

How offended should I be?

Disown him as a friend? Take it with a grain of salt? Act like it never happened and chalk it up as her fault?

Has anyone else been through this?

Turn up drunk and make a scene

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mechanic View Post
    Turn up drunk and make a scene
    I laughed out loud.

Show up anyways.
    -- i7 4770k @4.3Ghz | GSKILL Trident 16GB 2400 | GTX 780ti SLI | 1TB Samsung EVO 840 | Maxumus VII Hero Z97 --

Deleted
    Confront him on it like an adult and ask him what the hell his problem it.
    Last edited by mmoc5ec8505a9d; 2012-04-16 at 11:49 PM.

Deleted
    Confront him, if he was a real friend he would want you there.

Anyway i was in same situation well almost same, i was invited but i had hated my friends fiance i didnt turn up too the wedding but the after party i did and drank my self under the table never spoke to my friend again because he was a wimp when he was around her.

Does his wife have a sister, if so marry her and not invite them.

OT; confront him about it, something that big should include your closest bro's
    I play many games. WoW, Rift, D3, PoE, SC2 I will not criticize your game choice if you don't mine.

Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    Confront him, if he was a real friend he would want you there.
    This, but the 1st reply is golden.
    "The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits."

Albert Einstein

Rape his fiancé, that'll teach the both o' them

<Infracted> Post respectfully and constructively, please.
    Last edited by Dacien; 2012-04-16 at 11:56 PM.

I'd call him. If he's a close friend, the least he could do is tell you why.
    http://thingsihaveneverdone.wordpress.com
    Just started my 24/7 LoFi stream. Come listen!
    https://youtu.be/3uv1pLbpQM8

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mechanic View Post
    Anyway i was in same situation well almost same, i was invited but i had hated my friends fiance i didnt turn up too the wedding but the after party i did and drank my self under the table never spoke to my friend again because he was a wimp when he was around her.
    Define wimp?

Maybe it's a surprise and they want you to be their best man?

Don't go all ape shit, just ask him.

Definitely confront him. I suspect he has been pussy whipped and told who he is aloud to invite to the wedding. Very sad situation but not uncommon.

Deleted
    Confront him then end the friendship. You've been friends for 10 years and he doesn't invite you to his wedding? Nothing can excuse that.

Quote Originally Posted by mike View Post
    Confront him then end the friendship. You've been friends for 10 years and he doesn't invite you to his wedding? Nothing can excuse that.
    If he takes my advice that'd be a good enough reason to not invite him

Important question: are you male or female?

But yes the best way to deal with it is to confront him about it, he's chickening out of dealing with it by the sounds of it.

Confront him, ask him why, and since it's most likely because of his fiance ask him 'Does he really want to get into a marriage with a woman who will try to control him/effect him like that' and then ask him to ask his fiance that he would like his friend that he has had for 10 years at their wedding and if she is going to try to control who his (male) friends are then it isn't worth marrying her, no matter how much you love somebody, because something like that won't end up working out well over a while. In 10 years with a wife who treats him like that would end up miserable or divorced.

Knock some sense into him, unless he is doing it for other reasons (which from what I hear I doubt it and believe it's a girl with control issues)

We aren't getting the whole story, aka why she hates you. We probably won't get an objective view of the situation, either. I can see valid reasons for why she'd be overprotective, he'd be hesitant to invite or you'd have genuine reason to be perturbed by the no-invite status. Again, we probably won't get the whole story from you. She could be a control freak with daddy issues. You could be a drunk, a-hole stoner with no ambition. I'm not going to make assumptions but reality plays a big part.

From what you have said, all you can do is call him and ask him politely about it. If you feel it's done better in person, ask him to meet up with you at a restaurant or something. It might even be worth talking to his fiance to see if it's something you can rectify.

This exact thing happened to my brother. His now wife didn't approve of any of his friends, and he has lost contact with all of them over the years.

It's part of what happens unfortunately sometimes. Like being whipped, only on a grander, more legally binding scale.

Feel free to confront him, but understand that it will likely do no good. Be offended all you want, but understand that what you had with your friend before is probably going to disappear for good. It may already have.

10+ Year Old Account
    confront the dude. bitch move on his part not to talk to you. i think that no matter what his answer is, lose him. find better friends.