Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Healthy alternatives to energy drinks?

Title says it all. I've been trying to get my days going without any kind of energy drinik the last few months, but I just don't have the same energy that I did back when I was starting my workday with a NOS. I can't switch to coffee, it puts me to sleep. Suggestions?
    Last edited by Kikistos; 2012-04-19 at 02:52 PM. Reason: Spellingz

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Well, of course you aren't going to have the same "energy" you had while drinking NOS.. you were on a sugar high right before your workout. lol. So no, there's nothing that can replace that except another form of a high glucose beverage. My advice? Stay away from sugar. Diabeetus will get ya.

The Rockstar Recovery and Monster Rehab drinks are low calorie and low sugar with their companies energy blend, that's what I drink and have actually lost weight just by switching from the regular Monster to the Monster Rehab version.

5 Hour Energy and other "shot" type energy boosters are low calorie and low carb.....look around, I'm sure there's a top 10 list or something about this if you just google it.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    I use these quite frequently. A little cheaper than others, taste pretty good. The lime is better alone, the orange mixes well with vodka.

http://www.fastenergyliftoff.com/app...dex.cfm?init=1
    Your mother was a hamster, and your father smelled of elderberries.

10+ Year Old Account
    A 200mg caffeine tablet and a b-100 vitamin supplement would pretty much exactly duplicate what you'd get from a NOS, sans the sugar and calories. Cheaper too.

10+ Year Old Account
    Water! adada

I'm not sure if the product is international but berocca really gets me going during big days.

10+ Year Old Account
    water with lemon juice
    Rudimentary creatures of blood and flesh. You touch my mind, fumbling in ignorance, incapable of understanding.
    You exist because we allow it, and you will end because we demand it.

Sovereign
    Mass Effect

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kikistos View Post
    Title says it all. I've been trying to get my days going without any kind of energy drinik the last few months, but I just don't have the same energy that I did back when I was starting my workday with a NOS. I can't switch to coffee, it puts me to sleep. Suggestions?
    Coffee doesn't put you to sleep. That's chemically impossible.

But why stop taking energy drinks if they were working fine before? You can try things like berocca or similar products.

10+ Year Old Account
    In a bar. Somewhere that carries Khalua, cream and Vodka
    How about you try sugar free energy drinks?

I personally cannot stand the ones with full sugar as yeah... Tons of extra calories for no real benefit.

Rockstar 0 carb or Monster Absolute 0 are not bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    anyone want doughnuts? i hear there is a great shop in Vancouver

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleSilas View Post
    Coffee doesn't put you to sleep. That's chemically impossible.

But why stop taking energy drinks if they were working fine before? You can try things like berocca or similar products.
    of curse it is not impossible.

The best alternative to energy drinks is by far a product called "Spike". (Feel free to look it up on wikipedia for nutritional facts, etc)

When I would finish a long day of work, I would take one of these before a workout and feel absolutely revitalized, without worrying about the massive amount of sugar in-take from your every day energy drink.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by enohpi View Post
    of curse it is not impossible.
    ....Caffeine is now apparently a sedative?

Caffeine or Sugar is the only way. If these are not working for you then it's a placebo effect and has nothing to do with physiology. All energy drinks that do not use caffeine or sugar are solely based on placebo effects i.e. your desire to feel awake since you just wasted $4 otherwise. The better way to wake up is to go take an energetic walk when you wake up in the morning. By the time you're done walking for 10-15 mins you'll be well awake.

Deleted
    F this shit, you're way better trying what Fahrenheit said or even tomato juice mixed with some sour cream, salt and black pepper (add more juice, not cream, and watch the amount of salt).

10+ Year Old Account
    Arizona green tea with ginseng and honey, it has the added benefit of just costing you 99 cents.

I was addicted to energy drinks too... until my trainer put me on a thermogenic fat burner that has caffeine in it.. and.. yknow one of those scary warnings saying to not take in other means of caffeine.. Sometimes, I think it gets my blood flowing too much. I take one in the morning, and sometimes, can't fall asleep until midnight.

I do not by any means suggest switching to a thermogenic as a "healthy alternative" But if you are truly feeling worn out during the day, you may want to change your eating habits, and take in more multi vitamins.

10+ Year Old Account
    What about some herbal tea? Works for me

Also me and energy drinks dont go well, makes me feel all funny when I pee :O

Healthy alternatives to energy drinks? Get a good night's rest (regular sleep schedule helps), stay hydrated and don't eat a terrible diet.
    If you need caffeine (I definitely do) , green and black teas, coffee or at worst sugar-free sodas or red bull.