Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Video games didn't make you fat bro.

Having excess weight is 95% your diet. You don't need to drop gaming....change your eating habits and you can still play WoW all the time I guarentee you will lose all of your weight.

Basically...cut out ALL sugars/bread/sugar drinks from your diet. You literally don't even need to start going all out exercising.

Diet is the key...believe me.

Quote Originally Posted by Sartharias View Post
    I will tell you this though, out of all the people that will say over time they can notice your weight loss, nothing will feel better than going into your closet and seeing your old fat pants and just saying " shit, I can't believe I was that big."
    lol I know that feeling. Even losing just 10 pounds and I start feeling like I'm living in a tent when wearing my 7XL shirts.

Get a bike and ride that, or get a gym membership and go to town on the elliptical machine (low impact on your joints). Getting a hobby is also a good thing, such as investing in a nice aquarium setup or something similar. Get interested in something that keeps you from sitting down the entire time you are giving it your attention.

Quote Originally Posted by primusl0l View Post

Having excess weight is 95% your diet. You don't need to drop gaming....change your eating habits and you can still play WoW all the time I guarentee you will lose all of your weight.

Basically...cut out ALL sugars/bread/sugar drinks from your diet. You literally don't even need to start going all out exercising.

lol I'm inclined to agree. People look at me funny when I say it, but I honestly think video games have kept me from getting even bigger than I am. They're a distraction from eating. If I'm playing a video game, I'm not thinking of going into the kitchen to find something to eat, even if I'm not hungry.

@OP: Another thing, try swimming if you haven't already. I've always LOVED swimming because it's the only place I don't feel overweight. There's no impact on your joints. Plus, you don't sweat. I hate sweating. Most people I know hate sweating.

I'd just like to stop you guys in your tracks before you get this poor kid to go out and spend hundreds/thousands on exercise equipment....

People here have only mentioned doing exercise...getting a gym membership. He can WORK OUT as much as he wants...if he continues to have a shit diet...the workouts will be utterly pointless.

Get a healthy diet going first...then start slowly exercising. Diet is key to weight loss & body fat loss...not working out.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Trogdora View Post
    Taking a huge leap of faith here. Hopefully this turns out to be a win-win situation for me. Anyways, on to the post.

So I measured my BMI today in health class, and I'm at 59. I am 20 years old, and around 5'7-5'8. I am, quite literally, off the scale. I weigh around 375 pounds, and before a couple of days ago, basically did shit all day. Play WoW 8-12 hours a day, eat fast/junk food, sleep then rinse and repeat. My whole lifestyle ever since I was about 12 years old has been like this. At 12, I discovered Runescape, and play it for around 5 years, then discovered WoW at like 16 or 17 and have played WoW from then till around 2 or 3 days ago.

My membership ran out on Tuesday, and I decided not to renew to a few reasons: 1) I need to lose weight. 2.) The game IMO is boring. And 3.) I can spend $15 more effectively, so a lot has changed since Tuesday.

I have begun working out daily, I have been going to the grocery store to actually buy some decent food, and have been keeping myself active even if there is nothing to do, since then I have lost around 10 pounds. So what is the point of this thread?

I just wanna know what you think about me, I need some commentators on my lifestyle. It should be a win-win situation, if people are total assholes against me, it gives me more reason to lose weight, if people tell me I'm in a major health risk, that will give more more reason to lose weight, if people are encouraging and sympathetic to me, it gives me more reason to lose weight. Basically, I know what my health risks are, I know what people think in their heads but don't say out loud, and I know there are people who are sympathetic/empathetic towards me. I just need to see other peoples views to help better understand how the general public sees me.

So unleash it! Please don't close this thread, I want flames to arise! Be truthful, be brutal if you want to be, there is nothing I haven't been able to take before, and I have taken in some pretty nasty comments towards my weight. I need this for feedback, I need this for motivation. Thanks to everyone.

(And no, this really isn't a troll.)
    You realize there's a problem, and you've decided to do something about it. That puts you leaps and bounds ahead of many other people. Stay away from excess fats and sugars, eat plenty of veggies and lean meat, and exercise daily and the pounds'll fall right off. Keep it up, man
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by SUH View Post
    Crissi the goddess of MMO, if i may. ./bow

I'd just like to stop you guys in your tracks.

People here have only mentioned doing exercise...getting a gym membership. He can WORK OUT as much as he wants...if he continues to have a shit diet...the workouts will be utterly pointless.

Get a healthy diet going first...then start slowly exercising. Diet is key to weight loss & body fat loss...not working out.
    Have you not read any of the posts? I've seen a few mentioning diet is the key, excluding your own.

No matter what you say, though, exercise IS an important part of weight loss. Not super intense workouts, no. Even just walking 15-30 minutes a day. But some kind of exercise is very important, as is diet. Two sides of the same coin.

I'd just like to stop you guys in your tracks before you get this poor kid to go out and spend hundreds/thousands on exercise equipment....

You can drink gallons of soda and eat bags of chips if you are exercising enough to work it off.

The 'key' to weight loss is calories consumed - calories burned = negative number.

Some people prefer to diet, some prefer to exercise hardcore. If OP has 8-12 hours a day to play WoW that he isn't doing anymore, he has time to spend an hour in the morning on cardio and a half an hour - hour in the afternoon/evening on strength training. And an hour a week planning out his meals and sticking to it.

You need both to be successful.

Also, OP, learn to cook. You have plenty of free time, and learning to cook and being able to cook is a great feeling.

10+ Year Old Account

I will have to say, I have not changed my diet one bit since I started my journey to lose weight and then build muscle mass. As long as he burns more calories than he intakes, he will lose weight. Granted eating healthier will help a great deal in the loss.

Diet may be the key to maintaining weight, but if you want to lose it with any kind of speed you NEED to exercise. Diet is a huge part of losing weight, however fitness is a very important part in making you feel better about yourself. I get a buzz when I work out and actually enjoy the muscle pain you get after a decent gym session, it's kind of like a small high.

While he doesn't HAVE to give up video games it is important that he breaks his gaming cycle, so giving up gaming in the short term will allow him to focus on his main goal and not be able to use gaming as an excuse not to exercise.

Personally I had to give up gaming for a while to get my life more organised. I basically played wow almost to the exclusion of everything else (like doing my washing or cooking dinner). I would shirk chores and just game instead. By quitting for a short time and starting a health organisation pattern I was then able to come back to gaming without sacrificing anything else.

Basically by quitting gaming he is allowing himself to focus on his main priority. I'm sure he will probably come back to gaming in time when he can prioritise his health and cooking healthy meals instead of gaming and eating shit.

Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    You can drink gallons of soda and eat bags of chips if you are exercising enough to work it off.

The 'key' to weight loss is calories consumed - calories burned = negative number.

Thats false...but Im not even gona bother going into a debate about it.

Eat 50,000 calories worth of lean protein in 1 month or eat 50,000 calories of Mcdonalds and chocolate in 1 month....eat equally as much calories wise....I guartenee you'll lose weight eating 50k worth of the lean protein and gain weight eating 50k worth of mcdonalds & chocolates.

The whole calories consumed / calories burned / no matter what you eat = bullshit.

Eat 50,000 calories worth of lean protein in 1 month or eat 50,000 calories of Mcdonalds and chocolate in 1 month....eat equally as much calories wise....I guartenee you'll lose weight eating 50k worth of the lean protein and gain weight eating 50k worth of mcdonalds & chocolates.
    And if you burn more than 50k calories in that month, you are good to go on your goal to lose weight. Welcome to the real world. Science works.

Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    And if you burn more than 50k calories in that month, you are good to go on your goal to lose weight. Welcome to the real world. Science works.
    But thats not how it works. You're so wrong...and it's actually funny because by saying this you literally proved you have ZERO experience in these things.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U708pyoDxM4

http://www.stumbleupon.com/su/AMJ8dc...ted-questions/

Read some of those, see if they can keep you motivated. Some are hit and miss, but some really strike nerves with me. I know when I'm starting to falter in certain aspects of life, I read those and I reignite my desire to achieve what I'm striving for.

I'd say, it's never too late to start. It's gonna suck at times, but it'll be worth it. Start small. Do what you can. Keep at it.
    http://thingsihaveneverdone.wordpress.com
    Just started my 24/7 LoFi stream. Come listen!
    https://youtu.be/3uv1pLbpQM8

10+ Year Old Account

The whole calories consumed / calories burned / no matter what you eat = bullshit.
    50,000 calories of junk food in a month is only 1600/day. I eat that daily in junk food alone, on top of other healthy food. I do not gain weight.

I'm +60 pounds because of a disease that keeps me inactive and medications that are causing me weight gain. But now that I've got the illness under control, I've already got my fitness plan worked out. Got my P90X vids ready to go, just need to head down to Dick's to buy some exercise bands and free weights and ready to roll.

Most people are overweight not because they chose to be overweight, but because they chose NOT to do anything about it.

As someone who isn't entirely in the same boat as you the only advice I can give you from my own set of failings is that consistency is key.

Motivation is the key to consistency but unless you set a schedule and follow that WITHOUT FAIL daily you're not going to get any where at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by High Overlord Saurfang
    "I am he who watches they. I am the fist of retribution. That which does quell the recalcitrant. Dare you defy the Warchief? Dare you face my merciless judgement?"
    i7-6700 @2.8GHz | Nvidia GTX 960M | 16GB DDR4-2400MHz | 1 TB Toshiba SSD| Dell XPS 15

Quote Originally Posted by Rhyseh View Post
    Diet may be the key to maintaining weight, but if you want to lose it with any kind of speed you NEED to exercise. Diet is a huge part of losing weight, however fitness is a very important part in making you feel better about yourself. I get a buzz when I work out and actually enjoy the muscle pain you get after a decent gym session, it's kind of like a small high.

While he doesn't HAVE to give up video games it is important that he breaks his gaming cycle, so giving up gaming in the short term will allow him to focus on his main goal and not be able to use gaming as an excuse not to exercise.

Personally I had to give up gaming for a while to get my life more organised. I basically played wow almost to the exclusion of everything else (like doing my washing or cooking dinner). I would shirk chores and just game instead. By quitting for a short time and starting a health organisation pattern I was then able to come back to gaming without sacrificing anything else.

Basically by quitting gaming he is allowing himself to focus on his main priority. I'm sure he will probably come back to gaming in time when he can prioritise his health and cooking healthy meals instead of gaming and eating shit.
    Lost 60 pounds all while gaming, this was while I was heavily into WoW too. They say gaming is good for dieting since it keeps you from eating out of boredom.

Good luck losing the weight. I do the same as you after work but my job keeps me in shape. An hour or three or working out can help you out. Just remember that your body will probably feel sick for a few days while it adapts to the new life style and diet. Seriously though. Good luck

But thats not how it works. You're so wrong...and it's actually funny because by saying this you literally proved you have ZERO experience in these things.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U708pyoDxM4
    mmhmm. It is how it works. 50k calories a month is nothing. Your problem is that you think a burger you make at home with lean meat has the same amount of calories as something like a burger from McDonalds.