Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Eroginous View Post
    It's not about avoiding being offended. It's about the fact that the vast majority of the rap/hip hop artists out there talk about utter trash. Why is it special that you have some money, or a nice car, or some slutty women? Why do you need to make a song about it? I'll admit that everyone I listed has a few songs about those things, but for the most part, they are completely devoid of that nonsensical trash.

If I gave you the opportunity to make a bunch of money by producing a rap song, and you could choose any topic for your lyrics, would you choose money, cars, or women? I mean seriously, leave your mark on the world with truly deep lyrics on a relevant topic, or the same old money, cars, and hoes?
    There are shitty artists in every genre that someone who likes the genre still likes for some reason. You can't just say rap is the only genre of music like that. Listen to Meek Mill- Middle of the summer, tony's story, or dream chasers, or Immortal techniques dance with the devil or really any song by him. To downplay rap to the extent you do is irrational.

Edit: If you listen those songs and think they are glorifiying selling drugs, and other heinous activities, you truly no longer deserve an opinion on this subject.
    Last edited by gb4200; 2012-04-23 at 07:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by grandpab View Post
    Finally someone else mentioned some Doomtree lol
    Been to the last three Blowouts, would have been to all if work didn't hate me.

Quote Originally Posted by ambivalence View Post
    Been to the last three Blowouts, would have been to all if work didn't hate me.
    You lucky lucky bastard lol, I live in the southern end of Florida and they only had 1 concert in Georgia, so it would have been like a 9-10 hour drive. Maybe someday they'll come to Fl ><

And yet, you've got Tupac, Nas, Busta and Eminem all listed in your top ten which is followed up by the ridiculous "all other rap is disposable at best".

Ever heard of the Native Tongues movement in NYC from the early 90s on? Seems to go right up your alley yet you haven't got a single guy in that era listed. No A Tribe Called Quest, Leaders of the New School (Busta was in this), De La Soul, Jungle Brothers, Mos Def, or Common?
    Every rap artists does a song or two glorifying their 'success' which usually involves rapping about money, bitches, or cars. That's fine and dandy. But then you have artists whose entire career is making songs about that. See, every rap song can be broken down into three things: flow, vocabulary, and subject matter. Most artists barely hit even one of those things in a good way, very few hit all three.

Tupac, Nas, Eminem, and Busta Rhymes are all artists who hit all three consistently in at least 50% of their music, which is something I can't say for the vast majority of artists who have come out in hip hop history. I don't claim to have a vast knowledge of all hip hop music, but I DO sample a lot of the music that has ever been released, looking for the hidden gems, and being as unbiased as possible, what I said earlier stands.

Every rap artists does a song or two glorifying their 'success' which usually involves rapping about money, bitches, or cars. That's fine and dandy. But then you have artists whose entire career is making songs about that. See, every rap song can be broken down into three things: flow, vocabulary, and subject matter. Most artists barely hit even one of those things in a good way, very few hit all three.
    That's literally Illmatic in a nutshell and that's Nas' best. Eminem has pretty much stopped talking about his family and his problems in any meaningful way for entire records since Marshall Mathers, and Busta has fallen off the hip hop tree and hit every shit branch on the way down since his work with Mos, ATCQ, solo and Leaders. This isn't the odd track or two with these guys.

I'm also quite aware what a rap song can be broken down into, thanks. People like Mos Def, MF DOOM, Del, Black Thought, Common and countless others have all hit on these attributes for several records or spans of years. Since when is the entire hip hop subculture relegated to four guys?

To say hip hop sucks now because of the mainstream venue is asinine.

Tupac, Nas, Eminem, and Busta Rhymes are all artists who hit all three consistently in at least 50% of their music, which is something I can't say for the vast majority of artists who have come out in hip hop history. I don't claim to have a vast knowledge of all hip hop music, but I DO sample a lot of the music that has ever been released, looking for the hidden gems, and being as unbiased as possible, what I said earlier stands.
    Nas made one huge record and he's pretty much lived off it since. 50%? I'll throw in The Lost Tapes too and his sophomore effort maybe. Eminem has ridden off the success of Marshall Mathers and still does. Busta hasn't been relevant since Leaders and his first solo record, and Tupac is still perpetuated as "the best rapper" because he died. No disrespect to the guy, but you really try holding up his tracks to other guys, and it just doesn't hold up as GOAT stuff.

But, do you really want me to start listing guys off?

All of the main guys in Wu-Tang Clan: Ghostface Killah, Raekwon, GZA, ODB, Method Man
    Main MCs of ATCQ: Q-Tip, Phife Dawg
    MF DOOM
    Outkast: Andre 3000, Big Boi
    Mos Def
    Talib Kweli
    Slum Village: T3, Baatin, J Dilla
    De La Soul: Posdnuos, Trugoy, Maseo
    Public Enemy: Flavor Flav, Chuck D
    Jay-Z (though this guy suffered like your four mentions)

I can do this all day.

To say hip hop sucks now because of the mainstream venue is asinine.
    That's not what I'm saying. I'm saying that hip hop has always mostly sucked, and it has nothing to do with being mainstream or not.

I'm also quite aware what a rap song can be broken down into, thanks. People like Mos Def, MF DOOM, Del, Black Thought, Common and countless others have all hit on these attributes for several records or spans of years. Since when is the entire hip hop subculture relegated to four guys?
    There are lots of rap artists out there. There are lots of songs. Lots of records. Lots of producers, ect. Like I said before, the vast majority of them did not hit on all 3 of the things I mentioned. Those that you mentioned, are among those that don't.

Tupac's music didn't start being relevant until after his death, because most of what he released under Death Row was pretty shitty. He had some amazing songs released while he was alive, but they were always overshadowed by the rugged 'east vs west' songs that he was forced to put out under the label.

Nas's music career didn't start getting good until after Illmatic. It was one of those albums that are completely terrible and cliche, but necessary to get into the music industry.

Eminem's career was rather short, it spanned between the Slim Shady LP and the Eminem Show, with a few good singles since then.

Busta Rhymes' career has been off and on successful, with many good singles on each album.

But like I said, all these guys hit all 3 of the factors and are amazing artists because of it. Most other artists are lucky to even hit one of the factors.

Sure, keep going on, all day.

That's not what I'm saying. I'm saying that hip hop has always mostly sucked, and it has nothing to do with being mainstream or not.
    You have no idea what you are talking about. I'll give you that you never explicitly stated that mainstream had anything to do with sucking.

There are lots of rap artists out there. There are lots of songs. Lots of records. Lots of producers, ect. Like I said before, the vast majority of them did not hit on all 3 of the things I mentioned. Those that you mentioned, are among those that don't.
    Yeah, you're definitely talking out your ass. Sounds like all you've heard is Tupac, Busta, Eminem and Nas and little else.

Tupac's music didn't start being relevant until after his death, because most of what he released under Death Row was pretty shitty. He had some amazing songs released while he was alive, but they were always overshadowed by the rugged 'east vs west' songs that he was forced to put out under the label.
    Wait, what? With the exception of All Eyez on Me, most of his solo work released under Death Row is posthumous anyway. You aren't making sense. And you seem to agree with me anyway; his death accelerated him to legend in the public's mind.

Nas's music career didn't start getting good until after Illmatic. It was one of those albums that are completely terrible and cliche, but necessary to get into the music industry.

I'll let you figure out why that's asinine as hell.

Eminem's career was rather short, it spanned between the Slim Shady LP and the Eminem Show, with a few good singles since then.

Busta Rhymes' career has been off and on successful, with many good singles on each album.
    And? This doesn't sound like the respective resumes of a rapper that fits your ridiculous "three pillars".

But like I said, all these guys hit all 3 of the factors and are amazing artists because of it. Most other artists are lucky to even hit one of the factors.

Sure, keep going on, all day.
    So, can you stop pretending that you know anything about hip hop past those four guys?

Thanks.

1 KRS-One
    2 Mos Def
    3 Talib Kweli
    4 Wu Tang
    5 MF Doom
    6 Aesop Rock
    7 Reggie Watts
    8 Dessa
    9 Childish Gambino
    10 Tyler the Creator

Mostly stuff you won't find on the radio. Not that the radio doesn't have good stuff, but its not common to find a good pop rap track.

1) Nas
    2) CHildish Gambino
    3) Kanye
    4) Kid Cudi
    5) Mike SHinoda (kill me)
    6) Lupe Fiasco
    7) Common
    8) J Cole
    9) Jay-Z
    10) Pusha T

You have no idea what you are talking about. I'll give you that you never explicitly stated that mainstream had anything to do with sucking.
    Bahahahaha good one.

Yeah, you're definitely talking out your ass. Sounds like all you've heard is Tupac, Busta, Eminem and Nas and little else.
    Why? Because I don't fall in love with someone just cuz they have a rap album? Because I have standards that don't include being a tough guy who can talk tough? Mmmmmokay.

Wait, what? With the exception of All Eyez on Me, most of his solo work released under Death Row is posthumous anyway. You aren't making sense. And you seem to agree with me anyway; his death accelerated him to legend in the public's mind.
    I specifically meant Death Row the label. Most of his posthumous stuff isn't released under Death Row. It was released either under Amaru or Interscope, with the Death Row label only appearing legally on everything except All Eyez On Me and Killuminati. He was already a great music artist before Death Row signed him, and he was a lot more than just a rapper. It was only a matter of time before he became immortal in the entertainment industry, I seriously don't think his death made him a 'legend.'

However, I do think his death made the world realize what the entertainment industry had lost.

I'll let you figure out why that's asinine as hell.
    You're suggesting that Illmatic is the only good album that Nas has ever produced. The reality is that it's not very good at all, and it's overshadowed by just about every single album he's done since. I really don't want to write a book report on all this shit, so w/e.

And? This doesn't sound like the respective resumes of a rapper that fits your ridiculous "three pillars".
    Eminem really lost sight of what made him great with each album he released after the Eminem Show. They all had those few good song, but the rest just seemed to be filler to sell an album. A few examples are Rain Man, Mockingbird, Beautiful, and his half of No Love. Lil Wayne was the worst person he could collaborate with on that song, yet he still managed to kill it AND prove why Lil Wayne is a retard.

I think one of his greatest songs is Stimulate, which pushes the boundaries of 'greatest hip hop song of all time.'

So, can you stop pretending that you know anything about hip hop past those four guys?

Thanks.
    LOL. Mmkay buddy, you can keep on about how I don't know anything, but I'm pretty sure my interest in hip hop music far surpasses what you consider 'interesting.'

Eroginous, for the love of God please stop. It's clear you have no idea what you're talking about.

Why? Because I don't fall in love with someone just cuz they have a rap album? Because I have standards that don't include being a tough guy who can talk tough? Mmmmmokay.
    So have you actually listened to those artists? Mos Def, MF DOOM, Del, Black Thought, and Common are just a short list of rappers who don't - at all - rap about what you're talking about. Like, not even remotely. It's not about whether or not you like the artists, it's about actually having listened to them.

You're suggesting that Illmatic is the only good album that Nas has ever produced. The reality is that it's not very good at all, and it's overshadowed by just about every single album he's done since. I really don't want to write a book report on all this shit, so w/e.
    You do realize that:

a.) Illmatic is the album that overshadows his other releases
    b.) It's considered the debut release for Hip-Hop by every single reputable source

It's always good to know these things.

//edit: Just wondering, have you even heard Illmatic? I'm curious because you accuse it of being ridden with stereotypes and cliches, yet quite possibly every single person I've seen on the internet (and all music review sites) say the exact opposite. In fact it's widely considered one of the greatest concious Hip-Hop releases due to the insightful and honest depictions of life as a Teenager in a gang-ridden NY.
    Last edited by Badpaladin; 2012-04-26 at 04:34 AM.

//edit: Just wondering, have you even heard Illmatic? I'm curious because you accuse it of being ridden with stereotypes and cliches, yet quite possibly every single person I've seen on the internet (and all music review sites) say the exact opposite. In fact it's widely considered one of the greatest concious Hip-Hop releases due to the insightful and honest depictions of life as a Teenager in a gang-ridden NY.
    Which is exactly why Nas is my favorite rapper as well as the most respected rapper in my eyes.

1. The Notorious B.I.G.
    2. Tupac
    3. Jay Z
    4. Ice Cube/NWA
    5. Public Enemy
    6. Tribe Called Quest
    7. Outkast
    8. Eric B. & Rakim (more to Rakim)
    9. LL Cool J
    10. Wu Tang Clan

Eroginous, for the love of God please stop. It's clear you have no idea what you're talking about.
    Or you could just not involve yourself into a conversation with comments like this?

So have you actually listened to those artists? Mos Def, MF DOOM, Del, Black Thought, and Common are just a short list of rappers who don't - at all - rap about what you're talking about. Like, not even remotely. It's not about whether or not you like the artists, it's about actually having listened to them.
    Lol yeah, those rappers specifically are relics from when hip hop used to be about putting words out in a 'cool fashion' without actually saying anything in particular. There's no message to be had, it's some basement beats with some guy talking so vaguely it might as well be elevator music.

You do realize that:

a.) Illmatic is the album that overshadows his other releases
    b.) It's considered the debut release for Hip-Hop by every single reputable source

I own the album Illmatic, I've had a copy since it came out. Again, it's the tired cliche of rap muzik. 'I had a rough childhood cuz I lived in the ghetto.' Sorry, but that doesn't cut it.

Lol yeah, those rappers specifically are relics from when hip hop used to be about putting words out in a 'cool fashion' without actually saying anything in particular. There's no message to be had, it's some basement beats with some guy talking so vaguely it might as well be elevator music.
    So you haven't listened to them? If you have, could you please post in convincing detail why you feel this way about those specific artists?

I own the album Illmatic, I've had a copy since it came out. Again, it's the tired cliche of rap muzik. 'I had a rough childhood cuz I lived in the ghetto.' Sorry, but that doesn't cut it.
    By tired cliche you mean revolutionized, right? There wasn't such thing as an album entirely about growing up in the inner city before this album. I'm seriously not convinced that you've heard the album, let alone that you own it.

And I'm involving myself in this conversation because I volunteered to moderate this forum so people would not proliferate their misguided ignorance about musical genres. It's completely clear to me that you have no idea what you're talking about, you push forward your ridiculous opinions about artists you haven't heard and are only doing this only as a means to incite flaming attacks. If you have anything reasonable to say, please don't post the exact opposite. I'm all for stating your opinions, but when they're unfounded I'll gladly take action.

Again, it's the tired cliche of rap muzik. 'I had a rough childhood cuz I lived in the ghetto.' Sorry, but that doesn't cut it.
    Yo, not trying to jump down your throat or anything, but you really just proved you know jack shit about hip-hop. You arent alone though.

Many people (even some of those in the Bronx in '73) still don't understand what hip-hop is about. It's more than just rap music. Indeed cats didnt start rapping as we know until like late '70s early '80s during the first media boom of bboying (which, alsong with DJing is the most pure representation of hip-hop you can find).

This "cliche" you describe is the fundamental basis for the hip-hop movement. Tons of disenfranchised black and latino Americans in the southern Bronx turned away from their "ghetto" environments and started bboying/DJing after DJ Kool Hercs block parties. This movement was an aversion to the violence that still permeates black/latino(and all poorer peoples these days). Naturally when hip-hop gained a voice (MC or rap as we mostly call it) it spoke of the struggle and having fun in spite of the struggle.

Now, I'll admit, rap has deviated pretty far from its original message and intent. Then again, many hip-hop purist dont view rapping and emceeing as one in the same anymore.

Sorry to get all history lesson on you, but that was a profoundly ignorant thing for you to say. And by the way, Common, The Roots, Tribe, shit almost every single rapper or emcee has made a "party" track or two. That hold little relevance to their skills on the mic.

10+ Year Old Account
    First and foremost, I've decided to list my favorite 10 rappers that are alive. I obviously love Nate Dogg, Pac and Biggie!!! R.I.P!!!!

In no particular order:

Eminem
    Jay Z
    Kanye West
    T.I
    Snoop Dogg
    50 Cent (People gonna be mad as fuck because of this one I think LOL!!)
    The Game
    D12 (I named a group instead of a single rapper, sue me!)
    Nas
    Busta Rhymes
    Last edited by Fitzgerald77; 2012-04-27 at 05:02 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    1. South park mexican
    2. 2pac
    3. Yaki kadafi
    4. Eminem
    5. Mr busta (hungarian)
    6. Mr Hector (hungarian)
    7. Södrasidan (swedish)
    8. d12
    9. DMX
    10. DZK
    I thought I did, but apparently I don't

If you die you die but if you don't die you still die.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Skizzit View Post

Edit: Why is it that Rap/Hip-Hop is the only genre that people will go out of their way to say that they don't like it? Does that happen in other music threads on here? Do people go into a "What's your favorite Metal bands?" Thread just to say how much they hate metal and that all metal bands should die?
    It's generally accepted that gamers are long greasy haired loners who listen to metal