Page 1 of 2
LastLast

[MoP] Flames of A'lar: Application and Lore

As most have noticed, there has been a new addition in the Warlock spellbook, named Flames of A'lar. It is applied to the Destruction spec, raising loads of questions as of how Warlocks are viewed in the Warcraft universe. The Phoenix (A'lar) is associated with the Blood Elven lore and is most commonly connected to the Blood Mage unit/class.
    Therefore this topic is created for people to discuss about their opinions on how it is connected to the warlock class and how would they depict further association of the phoenix scheme with the class in the future. Blizzard seems to have taken this connection seriously by adding a role-playing flavoured text to this skill, being the only skill that has a text aside from the talent skills. Another question would be: who is this "Master Kwaa" mentioned as the "author" of the text? He/she isn't an NPC that is in the database and it is unlikely to be a Pandaren one since the Pandas are too "saintly" to practice warlockery.

I don't think it has any deep meaning...

it's just the warlock version of the hunter spell "heart of the phoenix"... if people start thinking blizz wants destro locks to be blood mages, than you have to think hunters are also blood mages XP

IMHO, fire mages are blood mages... just fight against kael, he is one big bad fire mage with summon phoenix (and phoenixes aren't demons, they are elementals... mages summon an elemental)
    I want to have daughters... but if I end up having sons I'll raise them like this X3

They probably could have came up with a better name to give it more of a demonic feel.

A little off topic, but I was actually hoping Mages would be getting a spell similar to the Blood Mage's phoenix. It could have worked like the Infernal or Doomguard.. 10 minute cooldown, comes down and starts shooting fire at the Mage's target, doing AoE fire damage to nearby enemies. It would slowly lose health until it collapsed into an egg, which would eventually re-hatch and do more damage, then after it's second death would finally just die.

The egg could have given it an interesting PvP aspect where people could target the egg to get rid of it before it came back for another round of damage.

Well, using the official WC3 desrciption of Blood Mages:

Many of the stoic high elves, reeling from the loss of their ancient homeland, Quel'Thalas, have given in to their hatred and despair and embraced the dark side of their magical natures. Calling themselves 'Blood Elves' - these cold hearted refugees seek to expand their remaining magical powers at any cost - even if it means courting the infernal powers of the Burning Legion! Though still loyal to the Alliance, the Blood Elves' passions will lead them not only to the highest pinnacles of power, but to the darkest depths of madness.
    and

A mystical Hero, adept at controlling magic and ranged assaults. Though still members of the Alliance, the Blood Elves have begun to turn to the darkest parts of magic, abandoning the water and frost spells of the Kirin Tor for the fire and heat of what some people fear to be Demonic magic.

Which sounds pretty warlocky to me. Of course, this is also before the Blood Elfs split off from the Alliance and got a whole lot more involved in the whole demon-summoning thing to feed their mana/power addiction, and all the other stuff that's since happened in WoW.

As for the comparison between abilities, we don't have Flame Strike but you could possibly argue that Rain of Fire is an acceptable replacement. We do have Banish, but it's not the same as the WC3 Banish. We can, however, replicate it's effects through other spells (CoEl for the increased damage and Conflag for the snare). We no longer have Drain Mana and we don't have Phoenix, though we do generate mana very quickly and we to have temporary and permanent minions. The abilities don't quite match up, but the theme of "sacrificing all else for power" is definitely a warlock theme.

On a simmilar tangent, Demo 'locks seem to be a pseudo-hybrid of Dreadlords and Demon Hunters. I haven't yet found any base hero or unit that matches up with Affliction. Some undead abilities may fit but most of those got swiped by DKs. Pit Lords fit into a more general warlock vibe instead of any one specific spec.

to me that sounds like "blood elf fire mage"... remember: back than all blood elves tapped a bit on demonic power (even hunters or priests)... that's why they got green eyes and stuffs... and wretched lol

EDIT: some people think blood mages sound more like warlocks, others thing blood mages look more like mages...

I'd say blizz should make a summon phoenix RACIAL spell for blood elves and finish this debate once and for all...

"are blood mages mages or warlocks??? well... they are the one you want them to be :3"
    Last edited by Mortis Darkskull; 2012-04-22 at 08:51 PM.
    I want to have daughters... but if I end up having sons I'll raise them like this X3

That's a sweet idea, Mortis.

I bet that Flames of Al'ar will get renamed before the expansion ships tho.

Well, I don't mind the spell being renamed, as long as Blood Elves get that racial ability. (Blood elf Warlock here :P)

Quote Originally Posted by deviantcultist View Post
    Another question would be: who is this "Master Kwaa" mentioned as the "author" of the text?
    A very powerful and fearsome warlock

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/to...5832?page=3#60
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/to...5832?page=4#70

Destro Locks in MOP I think are as close to a Blood Mage as you're going to get without there being a new "Blood Mage" class. Destro walrock is fire based and uses its own health as a resource; which is a Blood Mage.

Deleted
    They should've given something A'lar related to mages, not to warlocks.

Quote Originally Posted by MastaKwaa View Post
    Dude that's so cool! You've been immortalized in the world... of warcraft.

Quote Originally Posted by werdwitha3 View Post
    Destro Locks in MOP I think are as close to a Blood Mage as you're going to get without there being a new "Blood Mage" class. Destro walrock is fire based and uses its own health as a resource; which is a Blood Mage.
    I wish blood mages used their health as resource in WoW. that would make farming kael'thas so much easier

there isn't a single drop of evidence that blood mages use their health as a resource. if anything, the game suggests that blood mages use blood of other things to fuel their spells (such as blasted lands basilisks lol)
    Warlorcs of Draenorc made me quit. You can't have my stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by checking facts View Post
    I wish blood mages used their health as resource in WoW. that would make farming kael'thas so much easier

there isn't a single drop of evidence that blood mages use their health as a resource. if anything, the game suggests that blood mages use blood of other things to fuel their spells (such as blasted lands basilisks lol)
    Guess when you cant spare the time to drain the blood out of something you just cut yourself and hope for the best.
    Pretend this is a amazing sig with my character holding an legendary.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bridius View Post
    A little off topic, but I was actually hoping Mages would be getting a spell similar to the Blood Mage's phoenix. It could have worked like the Infernal or Doomguard.. 10 minute cooldown, comes down and starts shooting fire at the Mage's target, doing AoE fire damage to nearby enemies.
    Suprised mage's don't have diablo's flame hydra yet

Warlocks are the closest class to the old Blood Mage from WC3. Its spellset came with flamestrike (mage) and 2 warlock abilities (banish/drain mana)

Looks like it's been changed to Flames of Ragnaros in the new build, so now we're corrupted shamans.

What would you call the ability if you could name it anything?

Quote Originally Posted by Fallensaint View Post
    Looks like it's been changed to Flames of Ragnaros in the new build, so now we're corrupted shamans.
    FFS that is disgusting :S

Quote Originally Posted by Xelnath View Post
    What would you call the ability if you could name it anything?
    I'm just teasing, I don't really mind either name. Blood mages can definitely be warlocky, and corrupted shamans are thematically appropriate for orc 'locks.

edit: That said, I'd vote for "Wilfred Fizzlebang's Miraculous Minion Mender."
    Last edited by Fallensaint; 2012-04-25 at 12:37 AM.