Page 1 of 2
LastLast

2v2 Arena broken? - Priest/Mage

Howdy,

Tried priest forums but didn't yield any responses..

I'm a disc priest playing with a frost mage. He sometimes switches to fire.

It seems impossible to get past 1550, as stupid as it may sound I've played over 200 games with this guy, he seems decent and says he's played at 2k mmr before.

I do the following:

Shadow word: Death Polymorphs as much as I can
    After 2/3 Polymorphs I get a full 6 second fear and then depending, I DPS the other or MC the healer after the fear.
    I dispel everything off my partner providing I'm not silenced and he's not LoS'd
    Pillar hug as much as I can while keeping instants up and then coming out for fears
    Mana-burn as much as possible (When he's nova'd the target or they're in open ground

We play 40 minute games and get locked in stalemate with mirror combos and rogue/priest... Sometimes Mage/Rogue games go for 10 mins and we eventually lose. We can't win against feral/disc. When we get perfect CC chains (fear/polyx3/MC/fear/CS) the other enemy still doesn't die half of the time, they LoS/dispel their way or just simply survive it. During this time I have DoTs up and I'm spamming mind spike.

I've often burned a healer down to 0 mana and it regens so fast they can just keep themselves up through the mages burst...

Here is my armory, before you bang on about my few pieces of PvE gear, I rarely die within the first 10 mins of a match unless his peels are awful. Against double DPS I pain sup through their cooldowns and never really have any problems.

So... Can a seasoned arena player tell me where I'm going wrong? Is my team mate doing it wrong? Is arena 2s broken (40 min matches are ridiculous, IMO) or is our combo not working? I've seen similar combos as a higher rating...!

Cheers
    Cake!

Deleted
    2v2 is broken, yes...

Deleted
    I'll be honest. You or your mage are probably not very good.

Most of the times you have to oom the healer to score a kill as mage/priest unless they are bad. All healers tend to die when they are oom (shamans on blade edges is hard though). Work on setting up burns, df healer - fear/sheep dps, cs/nova healer - fear/sheep dps etc. Once they are oom simply swap manaburn with mind spike/mind blast and try to kill them. Eventually they will die. Only healer that can be hard to oom these days are druids, but u can kill their partners with cc on druid because their single target healing is to low.

Here's some popular comps and tacts for you:
    Mirror: Burn priest as much as possible, avoid as much burns as possible. When priest is oom score kill on mage or priest if the option is there (usually it isn't).
    Rogue/priest: Burn priest as much as possible, cc rogue. If the priest goes to drink stick pet on him or md him out, or if rogue doesn't have cloak kill him. Eventually somebody does die. Most kills won't happen unless the priest is oom.
    Rogue/mage: Hump a pillar at start, you want the mage to be standing near you, so u can double fear. Go for mage if he doesn't kite or go for rogue if he does. The trick here is to get them on the defensive, once you accomplish that you can push out and chase them, they should not be able to recover once they are on the defensive.
    Warlock/shaman: Hump the shaman like a motherfucker, burn him dry and then kill him. If they are good it will take a while and if they are bad they will roll over in a few minutes. Dispel demonsoul from lock and then just fear/sheep on df.
    Feral/priest: Same as rogue/priest, just oom the priest and then kill him.
    Last edited by mmocff76f9a79b; 2012-04-25 at 12:03 PM.

Deleted
    if they get oom, its quite rarely to see a Hpala wich is oom.

You need to play very offensive. Dispels on your mage, dispels on your kill target, good fears on the healer, and most importantly mind spike + shadowfiend burst. You want to get both trinkets from the other team, and then set up a poly > fear combo while both you and your mage burst hard.

But yeah, 2v2 is really stupid atm.

Double dps vs Double dps is balanced and fun
    Double dps vs Healer/dps is balanced and fun
    Healer/dps vs Healer/dps is 45 minutes of mine numbing boredom
    Last edited by Dorfie; 2012-04-25 at 11:53 AM.

I'm no master of arena, but i can tell you, if you are stuck in the 1550 range, it is more a skill issue then imbalance issue.

It's 2's. 2's have always been about combo's and that's why blizzard eventually gave up and made it not worth anything (in terms of achievments, mounts, etc etc). My friend and I played Rogue/Disc and if we saw Dk/Paladin for instance, we just left. We weren't going to win and it was a waste of 5 minutes to try. While 2's are fun for the points, I'd honestly try 3's out and see if you can possibly get another DPS (Rogue does always come to mind here!).

"During this time I have DoTs up and I'm spamming mind spike"

Wait what?!? Mind spike removes dots.

Quote Originally Posted by Catracie View Post
    "During this time I have DoTs up and I'm spamming mind spike"

Wait what?!? Mind spike removes dots.
    Pre-burst, the target has dots (which are only there to prevent dispel of more important things), then when cc is in effect, I mind spike...
    Cake!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Badmanis View Post
    if they get oom, its quite rarely to see a Hpala wich is oom.
    Try playing with a good mage. Paladins are among the easiest healers to get oom.

Deleted
    You do realize mage/disc is probly the strongest comp in 2s. Go VERY offensive, Get in get double fear, If it's against healer/dps.
    Dps will probly trinket so just wait for next fear then double fear again, While your mage blanket cs the healer into a nova so you can burn.
    Then let him spam sheep the healer while you burn so he still cant get away. Then you also have deep burn. The reason mage disc works
    Amazingly is because of the control mages have while priests burn. Seems like your mage doesnt do very much dmg either if he cant kill
    someone even though their healer is oom. And trough that sick CC chain you described. As you seem like a decent priest by what you typed,
    It's probly your mage that isn't doing what he could do. To sum it up, Get double fears, Let the mage spam cc the healer.
    *NOTE* I said Healer, So you get as many burns of as possible. If you are doing this correctly it should just take 3-4 fears or so.

15+ Year Old Account
    Get another mage since that one is really bad if he can't land a kill in perfect CC chain.

Deleted
    just a hint :
    Disc Feral should be absolute cake since Frost/disc is a hardcounter for them
    Disc Rogue you also have the advantage
    Mage Rogue just kill the mage

General:
    against double dpsers just cc cc cc and kill one by one
    with peels of a mage there should be no problem

against healer/dps just burn the healer down
    poly/root/ring the dps
    while deepfreeze the healer
    priest spam burns
    repeat....

its rlly a simple comp
    im not trying to be a jerk,
    but its either l2p issue or gear issue (or both)

after taking a second look at your post you seem
    to know the basics of what you're doing, just replace the mage with a good player
    and you'll see how awesome the comp is
    Last edited by mmocaa8ea6144f; 2012-04-25 at 12:12 PM.

I see it like this:

1. yes 2v2 is broken and only few comps gets rly high, your comp is strong though so you are doing something not right (see point 3)
    2. many ppl I know that were playing on 2k+ rating in wotlk/start of cata cant get pass 1700. I think this is due to less and less ppl playing arena as you just can get good gear from BGs/Rated BGs so only those who like arena and know how to play it are participating on it therefore to get to 2k is harder
    3. play offensively and try to find your Mana Burn spell and use it while you can, in MoP you wont have it anymore.
    Last edited by Tullkas; 2012-04-25 at 12:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorfie View Post

Double dps vs Double dps is balanced and fun
    Double dps vs Healer/dps is balanced and fun
    Healer/dps vs Healer/dps is 45 minutes of mine numbing boredom
    I have to disagree here. Very few double dps comps vs other double dps comps are "balanced", same for dps healer vs double dps and healer dps vs healer dps is just the worst thing ever depending on the class you play. (lol UH DK)

OT: Mage/Disc is actually pretty good, just watch some movies of it if possible, the mage can blow up someone really fast while also putting out a reasonable amount of CC.

Quote Originally Posted by Marioduh View Post
    You do realize mage/disc is probly the strongest comp in 2s. Go VERY offensive, Get in get double fear, If it's against healer/dps.
    Dps will probly trinket so just wait for next fear then double fear again, While your mage blanket cs the healer into a nova so you can burn.
    Then let him spam sheep the healer while you burn so he still cant get away.
    This sounds easier than it actually is. If we're playing vs any decent team, I can't just spam MB because the 2nd team mate will CC me or my mage and just dispel the sheep... Hence the long games
    Cake!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Szyrex View Post
    This sounds easier than it actually is. If we're playing vs any decent team, I can't just spam MB because the 2nd team mate will CC me or my mage and just dispel the sheep... Hence the long games
    That's why you want double fears. Also, Are you just playing for point cap or trying to get high rating?

Deleted
    Like Tullkas wrote, 2v2 ratings are lowest in history. 2200 in s9 is like 1800 today. Low nr of teams that que, low mmr - for example on 2k mmr and up, most u will see will be arena masters/gladiators. Playing sometimes on 2000-2100mmr and highest team was 2160, warrior in it had highest 2v2 rating i wotlk S8.

Quote Originally Posted by Yilar View Post
    Try playing with a good mage. Paladins are among the easiest healers to get oom.
    If a Mage can't kill a Holy Paladin as Frost he is seriously doing something wrong.

It's definitely you guys. If you play the comp properly then you really should have a huge advantage.

But take it from me, I'm a Mage and I've done 2s with healers. The matches are long and annoying, but if you play well you can win every match.

And yeah, the Mage has to be good. His own sheeps and RoF and stuff have to be good, it's very hard being the only DPS as a Frost Mage, he has to set up his cc's to score a kill at the perfect time.