10+ Year Old Account

Asura Level 1-10 PCgamer impressions

http://www.pcgamer.com/previews/guil...n-impressions/

Guild Wars’ pint-size Asura are as crazy as they are smart—and that’s saying a lot, because they’re really, really smart. Their homeland may not be on the frontlines of battle in Guild Wars 2, like the Charr and Human starting areas, but there’s more than enough chaos happening in the laboratories and neighborhoods near Rata Sum, their giant capital city. I was recently allowed to be the first person outside ArenaNet to play through these tiny mad scientists’ starting area on the games development servers and I had an absolute blast (both figuratively and literally). Here are 11 awesome things I did on my way to level 10 on my Asura Engineer.

1. Make the ugliest and cutest asura I can

My wife complains that the girl on the left (I bet you thought that was a dude, right?) looks like Kreacher (the demented house elf from Harry Potter) with a nose job, but I like her stone-dead demeanor and bad ninja haircut. And those giant puppy dogs eyes on the other can get anything they want from daddy. There were no major surprises in the character customization: the Asura’s is just as robust as it is for the other races, with complete control over facial features and appendanges like those ginormous floppy ears.

2. Lose to Gavin in golem chess

Okay, I’m not proud of this one. It would’ve been better if I’d won, of course, but the turn-based dueling minigame is still good fun when you’re on the losing side. It plays like a Rock ’em Sock ’em Robots game, where you control a mini golem on a 3×3 grid that occassionally spawns random power-ups. Each turn, you can either move or punch in front of you, and the first golem to drop is the loser. After Gavin left, I attempted to regain my dignity by beating up on the AI, which takes over the enemy golem if no players are up for the challenge.

3. Fix a deathmatch between two golems

Fighting fair isn’t the Asura way, so I ditched the tiny golems and got myself a giant one. With a touch of Asura ingenuity—specifically, hunting down fiery harpies and using their embers to super-charge my team’s golem right before it went into the cage fight—I was able to ensure victory for the good guys. Take that, Gavin!

4. Accidentally super-size mosquitoes

I didn’t mean to. Well, you see, I was trying to use the enlarger beam on the tiny Asuran assistants running around the laboratory floor. They’d accidentally shrunk themselves, I saw the enlarger beam sitting on the table and I figured I could help ‘em out. Be a good neighbor and all that. How was I supposed to know that a mosquito would fly in front of me right as I shot the beam? Or that I’d make the same error 10 times until everyone in the laboratory was dead? It was an honest mistake!

5. Save children from other rampaging monsters

Now, this one really wasn’t my fault, I swear! It’s those crazy developers at ArenaNet and their awesome dynamic event system, which kept the kiddie scientists’ lab in seemingly constant peril from enraged fire elementals, giant yaks and the like. Every time I ran by the laboratory, the kids were running outside, fleeing some new horrible disaster they’d created—and no matter how times I helped, they always found some horrible new way to endanger their lives. It was, frankly, quite exciting to see what they’d cook up next and I kept poking my head in to sadistically spy on their unfortunate circumstances. The nastiest brought this angry broodmother to their doorstep.

6. Solve the energy crisis

The energy source at the nearby Opticarium had revolted, so I battled the rogue sparks floating around like a pack of electrically-charged lazy bums. My strategy: let them zap me repeatedly. Once I’d worn ‘em down with a few gun shots, they passed out and I could toss ‘em back in the building’s power cells. Of course, seeing the place back online, the devious renegade scientists of The Inquest (a rival pack of unscrupulous Asuran scientists that tried to sabotage me at every turn while leveling up and appear to be the main antagonists for new Asura characters) overran the place with a huge army and slaughtered all of us. Time to regroup and throw them out.

7. Fight frogger

The local tribe of frog-people were supposedly nice guys most of the time, but something’d driven them crazy by the time I showed up. That meant it was time for me to shoot their little gizzards out the back of their slimey bodies. Oh, uh… for science!

8. Light myself on fire

My big takeaway from the first 10 levels: life is anything but safe as an asura. The polite and seemingly friendly golem who offered me a weather-control staff forgot to mention that it has a very high likelihood of backfiring in humorously ridiculous ways. Equipping it replaced all of my skills with new ones related to weather effects. Create an shockwave, summon a lightning storm, rain down healing water on your enemies, it promised! Instead, I ended up puking my guts out and turning my corpse into a barbecue pit. But as the Asura say, “If it’s not broken, you’re not innovating.”

9. Quell a golem revolt

I’m starting to really hate these Inquest jerks. First they tried to beat me in golem boxing, then they stole my lab supplies, overran the electricity plant, and now they hijacked all the golems in my friend’s lab and ordered them to kill us. It was a fun sort of last-stand mode with waves of golems rushing in while myself and a few NPCs held the line to protect our tech. Sorry, iron giant, there’s only one way this is gonna end.

10. Marvel at the sights

The Asura capital city of Rata Sum is an engineering miracle. Intricately cut into a mountain-sized cube, its geometrically shaped decorations float impossibly in the sky, dispersing vegetation, water, and technology around the place. It’s an incredibly gorgeous city and fits the Asura personality perfectly. Also, I don’t mean to brag, but I have a pretty sweet lab on the outskirts of town (where a lot of the personal storyline takes place).

11. Make a stand… for science!

Most of the storylines in the Asura starting area revolve around using technology to defend against threats presented by the Inquest, or that your well-intentioned neighbors had inadvertently created. The legendary Asura, Zojja, accompanied me on and off in the personal story areas, and helped discover new ways to innovate on current golem technology, without having to resort to trapping the souls of Asura inside them, like the Inquest were doing. I’d eagerly anticipating playing as an Asura in Guild Wars 2 because of their potential to be a light-hearted and fun break from some of the overly serious characters and storylines the other races deal with on the frontlines of battle. From my first few hours as a mad scientist, it looks like ArenaNet’s tapped into that potential and brought it to life wonderfully. I can’t wait to explore more of the world with my tiny genius.
    "Questions are for those seeking answers. Those who have answers are those who have asked questions." -Mike R. (Malthurius)

Deleted
    Omg /love !!! ASURAS!!!! AMG ZOMG SHIT GOD

Ok, I think I've dereacted now. God, amazing to hear something about Asuras, so boring to hear/see bookahs all day long :P

Btw, thanks A LOT!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by roflatorlunde View Post
    Omg /love !!! ASURAS!!!! AMG ZOMG SHIT GOD

Ok, I think I've dereacted now. God, amazing to hear something about Asuras, so boring to hear/see bookahs all day long :P

Btw, thanks A LOT!
    You're welcome.

I found it on another forum where it had been posted 1 hour earlier. Figured it was a good idea to share the love, since most don't go to multiple forums on the same subjects.
    "Questions are for those seeking answers. Those who have answers are those who have asked questions." -Mike R. (Malthurius)

Awesome stuff. I saw this on guru as well. Josh mentioned that the area still needs a little bit more polish before it becomes playable for the public.
    Last edited by Valeron; 2012-04-25 at 06:29 PM.

Deleted
    hell yeah biatsjj

---------- Post added 2012-04-25 at 06:29 PM ----------

wait...

is that a chubby asura? OMFSKFHKGJAGHJDFGJSGF :DDDDDDDDDDDD
    Last edited by mmoc30ed4cc660; 2012-04-25 at 06:30 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm getting from the original thread on guru that this "demo" was done a while ago? Possibly during an alpha build? Maybe they're much further along than we thought and they really are just holding content from being spoiled.

#12: get punted by a norn as they score a goal in footasura.

10+ Year Old Account
    Finally, something new! Thanks for sharing.
    Sing like no one is listening - Love like you've never been hurt
    Dance like no one is watching - Masturbate like no one else is on the bus

Herald of the Titans theredviola's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    I'm not as excited about the Asura, but this makes me excited about them!
    "Do not only practice your art, but force yourself into its secrets, for it and knowledge can raise men to the divine." -- Ludwig Van Beethoven

10+ Year Old Account
    Wish asura weren't so damn ugly, otherwise I'd consider rolling one!

10+ Year Old Account
    /sigh
    /want so much

---------- Post added 2012-04-26 at 09:20 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Malthurius View Post
    I'm getting from the original thread on guru that this "demo" was done a while ago? Possibly during an alpha build?
    Look at the build number: 14034
    The BWE build isn't far off, check the settings screen in the client for the version.

---------- Post added 2012-04-26 at 09:21 AM ----------

ZOMG look at that Asura rifle

10+ Year Old Account
    damn cool article GREAT READ! and I love that AN is holding back Sylv and Asura til release

Twitter: @EsmeraldoC

10+ Year Old Account
    Cleaned up the character creation pic.

So cute

10+ Year Old Account
    Won't be playing one myself, but good to see them getting some love!

That article made my day God I can't wait to run around with my asura.
    And Rata Sum looks really really beautiful. It's like a cross between some South American temples and........i dunno...just epicness made manifest.

Quote Originally Posted by Mif View Post

So cute
    Remind me of hairless cats

So cute
    Do want!!! Why must it be Charr/Norn/Human only again this weekend?
    Last edited by zaphon; 2012-04-26 at 04:27 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zaphon View Post
    Why must it be Charr/Norn/Human only again this weekend?
    I know :'(

I know :'(
    At least it's not pandas. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by zaphon View Post
    At least it's not pandas. :-)
    Well when the two races you're interested in aren't available it could be roaches and it wouldn't matter. lol

gimme mah sylvari =/