Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    PvE end game content...

You scale down to any dungeon level so theres 8 dungeons on "story mode" which is like the "normals" of wow dungeons...then each of those 8 dungeons have 3 explorable modes each wiht their own path mobs bosses etc and can spawn random events and random dynamic events within them making unique each time...these are considered like "heroics" of wow...but not he nerfed pieces of shit we are used to...everyone has said they are very difficult at times.

This is where people get scared theres no "raiding" of gw2...dynamic events scale to everyone still challenging, consider it like world bosses back in vanilla etc.
    Then elite dynamic events theres not much known atm but these are the difficult fucked up shit that WILL...110% guarantee a co-ordinated group of people to down...

Also please remember this dungeons etc DO GIVE UPGRADES FOR GEAR!!! however its not much its like TIERS of difference like we are used to with wow...there is challenging pve content for both small groups and bigger groups in elite DE's...

DEs aren't really like Rift's, ahem, rifts at all. Oddly they are more like Warhammer's PQs in that WAR's take on it was more environment based. For example, in WAR a windmill is on fire, you can see it on fire, run toward it and the event will be related to stopping that windmill from burning down. That is more or less exactly how it is in GW2- a bunch of mobs are burning houses, run toward them and an event kicks off to stop them.

This is very different concept from Rift's rifts- which were intended to be a set of objectives within the rift area unrelated to the environment. Rift's are optional, fun little side quests alongside very linear and directed main questing.

DEs are the PVE game flow. It's how you move from area to area actually.

Quote Originally Posted by Flimsy View Post
    There will be 8 dungeons and the dynamic events will scale so there's tons to do I just hate when people say ''lvl 1 is endgame!!'' its simply not true, the point of being level 1 and going through to 80 is to advance your character, get new traits and XP, that's not end game no matter how you look at it.

Level 80 content (end game not level 1...):

There's 8 dungeons with many different modes to play through
    Dynamic world events (again different difficulties/modes)

In all honesty while there will be lots of PvE events to play through (its going to be brilliant) the later levels seem to be PvP orientated, the WvW pvp is what GW2 is counting on to keep people entertained IMO.
    Explorable mode ascalon catacombs is level 36 I believe.

Once you hit 80 the entire world is end game.
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadzta View Post
    Also please remember this dungeons etc DO GIVE UPGRADES FOR GEAR!!! however its not much its like TIERS of difference like we are used to with wow...there is challenging pve content for both small groups and bigger groups in elite DE's...
    I really think we should avoid the word "upgrade" here, and instead say "sidegrade" as it's much more accurate.

Gear in GW2 is nothing like gear in WoW, however, and sidegrades are indeed desirable. For the sake of translation, I'll use WoW stats to explain why. One piece of gear might have a lot of Stam, and a little of Strength. Another piece of gear might have a lot of Agility, and a little bit of Armor. Another piece of gear might have some Haste, and some Mastery, and then a metric fuckton of Armor. Another piece of gear might have a little bit of Strength, a whole lot of crit, and then also have some Healing on it (yes, Warriors can also heal!). And another piece of gear might have just pure raw Agility on it, with absolutely no other stat (not even Stamina).
    And all of those pieces of gear go into the exact same slot. All of those are chest pieces, just for the sake of argument.

The point of this is that no piece of gear is "equal" in terms of stat allocation, but all pieces of gear are "equal" in the sense of having an equivalent item budget. So you will want to min/max your gear in such a way that most benefits your build and playstyle, as well as using transmutation stones to get the gear models you prefer.

This doesn't mean you'll only have ONE set of gear, either, the way you do in WoW. You might have one build that favors condition damage, and another build that favors crits, and another build that favors raw power. You might have another build that favors maximizing GW2's version of mastery, while another build (a support build, or maybe it's just your self-healing-is-my-defense set) will mostly favor your healing stat. You're going to have your work cut out for you, because everybody is a druid, except with more than just 4 specs.

This means you don't automatically get the most HP possible - instead, you have to actually CHOOSE between offense and defense with your gear.
    And sorry, but you're not a DPS. You're not a tank. You're not a healer. You're just plain your profession. You do it all. And you need it all.
    Last edited by DrakeWurrum; 2012-04-26 at 02:38 PM.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

*sigh* We already have probably several threads on this topic already. L2 search function. Mod should just close this thread, nothing in here has any new argument that hasn't already been used in any of the other endgame threads. Just read those and come to your own conclusion.

urgh.......another endgame thread. Yes, it has endgame...just not raids. To understand why it is endgame...read all of this and understand the design concepts.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Squirrelbanes View Post
    urgh.......another endgame thread. Yes, it has endgame...just not raids. To understand why it is endgame...read all of this and understand the design concepts.
    This pertains specifically to GW2 endgame, however.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks for the article, Drake. I remember it being posted on this forum a while ago.
    Bookmarked.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Oogly View Post
    Guildwars2 "Endgame" begins at lvl1.
    God how I hate that phrase and people who spout it out mindlessly.

The truth is that GW2s "endgame" doesn't necessarily differentiate itself from the leveling content. While I'm sure much of the level 80 events and dungeons will be very challenging what you do at 80 won't be all that different compared to what you did prior to that. If you're in a dedicated Guild however you might do it in a more organized form (i.e. farm specific dynamic events/bosses).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Crowe View Post
    God how I hate that phrase and people who spout it out mindlessly.

The truth is that GW2s "endgame" doesn't necessarily differentiate itself from the leveling content. While I'm sure much of the level 80 events and dungeons will be very challenging what you do at 80 won't be all that different compared to what you did prior to that. If you're in a dedicated Guild however you might do it in a more organized form (i.e. farm specific dynamic events/bosses).
    Basic idea: if you don't enjoy what you're doing at 30, you won't enjoy what you will do at 80.

Another way of putting it is as my brother-in-law did; If World of Warcraft is a theme park, Guild Wars 2 is a playground.

That seemed fairly accurate to me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Another way of putting it is as my brother-in-law did; If World of Warcraft is a theme park, Guild Wars 2 is a playground.

That seemed fairly accurate to me.
    No need to bash a gw2 thread about gw2...stick to wow then please.

These kinds of comments need to stop. This whole, "We're better than you and don't want you in our game, stay with your game" mentality isn't cool, and these kinds of posts are borderline infractable. So just for future reference, don't make them guys. -Edge
    Last edited by Edge-; 2012-04-26 at 04:34 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    No need to bash a gw2 thread about gw2...stick to wow then please.
    How was that bashing?

Also, note who's saying it. Fencers has been a pretty big fan of the game, and one of the more intelligent as well.
    Resurrected Holy Priest

What is endgame?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    What is endgame?
    Serious, or rhetorical?
    Resurrected Holy Priest

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ynna View Post
    How was that bashing?

Also, note who's saying it. Fencers has been a pretty big fan of the game, and one of the more intelligent as well.
    Well im decrypting the if wow was a theme park gw2 is a playground...meaning wow>gw2...seems point post was pointless thats how it came across anyway...i do recognise the name etc but came across as callous post.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    What is endgame?
    End-game denotes 2 things depending on the genre

In all other games, End-game is referring to "the end of the game". This includes the last bosses, last stages, ect.

In MMOs, End-game refers to an entirely different game upon meeting the level cap. For example in WoW, you spend the entire leveling experience leveling by quests or dungeons, what have you, and at max level you play the game for a different goal by doing different things; getting gear for raids to do raids is the common case.

GW2 has the former definition in the Personal Story line. But the main game never changes the way you're playing it. What you're doing at level 1 is how the game is at level 80, save for boss mechanics, settings, scale, that kind of thing.
    "Questions are for those seeking answers. Those who have answers are those who have asked questions." -Mike R. (Malthurius)

Quote Originally Posted by Ynna View Post
    Serious, or rhetorical?
    Well it's different for everybody so let's get a baseline definition that everyone can agree to

I'll say for GW2 that the game doesn't change when you reach the level cap like it does for a lot of mmos.

Well im decrypting the if wow was a theme park gw2 is a playground...meaning wow>gw2...seems point post was pointless thats how it came across anyway...i do recognise the name etc but came across as callous post.
    I actually agree with you. I read it that as well since a themepark is bigger and generally more fun than a playground. Implying WoW>GW2.

In any event, I don't get the people saying endgame doesn't happen until 80 and saying the people who say endgame starts at level 1 are stupid. That is a factual statement. Actually it'd be 2 since 1 is tutorial but anything you do at 2+ is the same as doing it at 80. Technically speaking you will get more skills and more armor with more points but that doesn't change the fact the dungeons you do will be the same regardless of your level. So in truth, endgame DOES start at level 2.

Raiding is endgame content for WoW. You don't raid until you get to max level generally speaking.

Dungeons/DEs are endgame content for GW2. You do dungeons and DEs the same at level 2 as at level 80.
    Last edited by NightZero88; 2012-04-26 at 04:15 PM.

So what happens with games that have no levels? what is the endgame there?