Thread: Chroma Hash

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mafao View Post
    I think its possible to store a password locally in a secure way.
    Nothing is true, everything is permitted.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

While still hard, if somebody has the same chroma hash as you, wouldn't that mean their password was similar to yours? If that's true then it would narrow down the possible password combinations. Still would be a pain in the ass to try to guess, but it would be easier than not knowing it was similar, right?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cpand671 View Post
    While still hard, if somebody has the same chroma hash as you, wouldn't that mean their password was similar to yours? If that's true then it would narrow down the possible password combinations. Still would be a pain in the ass to try to guess, but it would be easier than not knowing it was similar, right?
    No there are 4.7x10^21 combinations of colors that the chroma can be in (assuming each block has a chance to be any color of a combination of RGB's from 1-256). Even if the colors are exactly the same, it would be because it cycled through the 256 colors and happened to land on the same ones as someone else's.

Also, because of the way encryption works, there's no way to guess how similar a password is based on the colors. It doesn't go in "rainbow order" and it doesn't go in chronological or lexicological order.

I suck at giving explanations, but basically all these "fears" of chroma hash stem from ignorance of the mechanics and are completely unfounded.
    Last edited by Arkenaw; 2012-04-26 at 08:41 PM.

Deleted
    I like my colours

Quote Originally Posted by boredisboring13 View Post
    I like my colours
    Same here. They actually match the game's colors.

Quote Originally Posted by Cpand671 View Post
    No it doesn't... the encryption on passwords in most encryptions (for example MD5) is broken down bit by bit not character by character, so after encoding "Thisisaweakpassword" may have the visual look of having the same color as "G&8N%ffs*and&^Nfm97" and totally different look as "thisisaweakpassword", by no means will the visual que being the same mean that the passwords are even remotely similar when typed in.

Hashes are one way. It's a check for typos more than anything else, the same way a credit card number has a check digit at the end.

You can't get a password from a colour combination unless it was retardedly easy to guess in the first place.

Do keep in mind that if you have "Save password" checked the chroma hash won't show up. May want to remember that if you're someone who tends to wipe their computer every once in awhile, or something happens and you forget your password because you rely on save password functions.

Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post

Funny. I thought I already got an indication of a wrong password.
    But now, you won't have to actually press the log in button to know if your password is wrong. Heck, you probably won't even have to be online to do it.

You ask for more? Then come, traveler, to the Whispering Deep, where only the mad walk.
    Raid Idea: The Whispering Deep and Ny'alotha

Quote Originally Posted by Ihnasir View Post
    Umbra - you are a god.

o.O, I liked my colours and I don't play among people, so I found it pretty neat! I often make errors when typing my passwords in so...yeah, I like it and sorta need it as well. :d.

What's useless is that the game isn't available for login yet...*angryface*

I like it. When I'm typing my password quickly sometimes the shift key doesn't get the letter I mean it to or I'll plain forget to capitalize.

If I type my password right I get Green-Light grey-Yellow

If I miss a capital letter I get Blue-Green-Dark grey.

I don't see any downside to it either, and it's not like it requires a lot of development time, so why complain?