Is it worth the time investment.....

If you were a person who had multiple 85's, with not much going on waiting on the next expansion, and professions all haphazardly thrown together.....
    Would it be worth the time investment, and possibly some money invested, to unlearn shift and relarn professions? To make them more orderly I mean.

This is not for me as I have already done this over time, however ..... My brothers characters are just a thrown together mess of toons and professions.

For instance his main is a warrior tank with engineering and herbalism?!?!? He has a druid and it has no gathering, it instead is inscription and leatherworking.
    He has a jewelcrafter miner, as well as a black smith miner .... he has a skinner / herbalist and the skinner is not even on the worgen?

I know people play their toons as they see fit. However he constantly complains about it and does nothing to fix it. I have tried to offer reasons as to why it would be beneficial to fix at least some of it, but i fear I just may not be presenting the opinion in a convincing enough fashion.

Which leads me to you all

1) Do you feel it is more beneficial to have your professions sorted or grouped for efficiency?

2) If you do, how much would you say it helps you or saves you in time / gold?

3) What are the biggest groupings that you would say is most important to have, not necessarily just for a new expansion but in general?

4) And lastly, of the answers you gave in 3) which do you feel are most important to prioritize correcting for release.

Thanks for any and all input .... with some Good feedback I am hoping to direct him to this thread as a means of presenting to him better arguements than I myself could make.

Thanks all!!
    Last edited by Nornian; 2012-04-26 at 07:07 PM.

Miner/herbalist is fairly obvious.

I like JC/Enchanter together for shuffling. I can't think of any others that are really crucial.

Deleted
    I would only do that on a druid and/or my main.

Druid becuase obviously flight form... so mining/herb, and main, whatever I felt like using(enchanting/tailoring)

If you have a druid alt, herbalism/mining would be the best option.
    For your main 2 crafting proffesions are the best, regardless if you PVP/PVE
    My choices aren't always the most obvious ones but they do the trick;
    Priest Alch/LW (Wrist enchant!)
    Rogue Alch/Herb (i used to wander around with archeo/tolbarad so i kept herb. now close to MOP i wont change it, once i got what i need in MOP (few weeks) ill change it)
    Pala BS/JC
    Lock Eng/Ench (changed tailoring for engi in wotlk)
    Mage Ench/Tailoring (the only complete obvious one)
    DK Mining/Inscr (had 2 farm proffs, changed 1 to inscr)
    All my other chars have mining at least.

When you level alts sometimes you pick up certain proffs to support another char. Thus it might not make sense.
    But lacking racials doesnt really make up for releveling a proffesion. If you want to make a gnome but need skinning you do so. If later on you become a worgen fan and need LW/alch you dont remove skinning to get it on the worgen and relevel something on the gnome.

If you start a new server for example and know you are going to level multiple toons.... Yes you should plan your racials and proffesion

If this maybe helps,

Druid is Herbalism/Inscription
    Death Knight is Mining/soon to be Blacksmithing
    Rogue is Jewelcrafting/Gnomish Engineering
    No Mage yet
    Warrior, unknown for now
    Shaman, unknown for now
    No Hunter yet,
    Priest is Tailoring/Elixir Master Alchemy
    Paladin is Enchanting/Transmutation Master Alchemy
    Warlock is Tailoring/Goblin Engineering
    ?Monk? (If I do level one, it will be Leatherworking, and Skinning)

Deleted
    My druid got, Ench, JC and my other 85 got mining, Herb.

Deleted
    My druid would be mining, herb.
    The rest I can deal with.
    Unless its causing you major hassle, then maybe go out, read a book, watch some films, meet friends.

For me it'd depend largely on how many rare patterns I had on the professions I was going to unlearn, I find it pretty easy to level professions, but some patterns you'll never find again.

I did this at the end of Wrath when I was leveling a couple of previously abandoned alts.

My Mage was Herbalism/Tailoring
    My Priest was Enchanting/Tailoring
    My Shaman was Mining/Alchemy
    My low level pally was Mining/Jewelcrafting

I wanted to switch my main to dual crafting professions for the stat bonuses and getting rid of some of the overlap, so I shuffled them into:

Mage: Jewelcrafting/Tailoring
    Priest: Enchanting/Inscription
    Shaman: Herbalism/Alchemy (Transmute)
    Paladin: Mining/Blacksmithing

Quote Originally Posted by Nornian View Post
    1) Do you feel it is more beneficial to have your professions sorted or grouped for efficiency?

2) If you do, how much would you say it helps you or saves you in time / gold?

3) What are the biggest groupings that you would say is most important to have, not necessarily just for a new expansion but in general?

4) And lastly, of the answers you gave in 3) which do you feel are most important to prioritize correcting for release.

Thanks for any and all input .... with some Good feedback I am hoping to direct him to this thread as a means of presenting to him better arguements than I myself could make.

Thanks all!!
    1. For professions like Engineering and Blacksmithing, it's a total pain in the ass not to have the corresponding gathering profession on the same toon. Reason: Smelting.
    2. Time-wise I think for the purposes of making gold the savings are negligible when you get into very large volumes. For example with the JC/Ench/Alch trifecta I found it very convenient to have these professions on three different toons. Reason: Mailbox storage.
    3. Literally the only professions I would be loathe to use unpaired would be Mining/Engi and Mining/Blacksmithing. Every other profession (actually I dunno about Leatherworking so I'm going to ignore it) can function relatively well unpaired, provided you're an organized person in general.
    4. I think if you're going to make any specific suggestions to your brother about how he can reorganize his professions, address the things he specifically complains about. There's no reason to dump a ton of time and energy into reorganizing professions you do not use regularly on toons you rarely log onto. There's also no real right/wrong way to do it, if it conforms to your needs. Not everyone would agree that it's a good use of time to level 3 alchemists--but some people would see the value in it. Some people think that a gathering profession on your main gives you an edge on gold during an xpac release. Some people think dual crafting on your main is the only way to go for PVE.
    Last edited by snozzberry; 2012-04-30 at 02:19 PM.

Tell him to get alchemy on every toon. It makes sense for any class to have an epic trinket early on, and double flask duration. Except the Druid. Make that herbalism and mining. And make sure to do a transmute every day. My 3 alchemists probably net me 400g a day for clicking three buttons. Aside from my dk, I actually just leave them in uldum to make it a 20second job.

Then from there, grab other ones that "make sense" and try to have them all just to have them.
    Regen#1804 need NA overwatch friends.

Deleted
    Well if i have the time and the gold it would be much easy to control and he would benefit more from it ofcourse....but its expinsive.

Ultimately, its up to you. Personally, I wouldn't bother other than to maybe get mining/herb onto one character. Swapping around crafting professions is far more expensive, time consuming and annoying to be worth it, IMO.

Deleted
    Leveling professions is a huge time and gold investment, and you're not likely to even get back the time and gold you spent if you do reorganizing like this. If you want to get different professions for a character from a min-max perspective, then that's a completely different story. It's definitely not worth doing for convenience, time saving or gold saving reasons though.

Deleted
    If you are serious about the game, be it pvp or pve, you need two proper professions;
    Jewelcrafting 3x Super Gems (Currently subpar)
    Blacksmithing 2x Sockets (w. epic gems, 100+ stats)
    Enchanting 2x Ring Enchant (80+ stats)
    Alchemy Improved Flask (80+ stats)
    In short, any profession that isn't gathering, tailoring or engineering.

Engineering is nice, but because of the internal CD in trinket + gloves enchant, it can be very frustrating. If used on CD the gloves enchant comes out as +81 stats, as far as I remember.
    Tailoring is good if you're a caster.
    Gathering is for alts that do nothing but auctioneering and gathering.

Personally, I have proff's setup for effectiveness on my toons. For instance, my main is a druid and has Engineering and Leather working. My paladin, who I play as all specs, is BS/Mining. And one of my warriors is Enchanting/Alchy. The other warrior, who is tank only, has JC/Mining. Pretty much every other toon I have is built to support them, as these are the toons I play most.
    Monk: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...feroz/advanced
    Druid: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...lhorn/advanced
    When going from a druid to a monk... You have to remember what a mount is... and how to use them...
    And, when going back to a Druid from a monk, you relish in the awesomeness that is Swift Flight Form!

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    are you after serious gold ? then ordering is a must as well as multiple accounts so there is never down time and are not restricted waiting on 1 toon too prospect for example.

1 primary raider or pvper shouldhave best profs it can have for best stats if your serious in raids/pvp
    gathers are only handy in new xpacs, if your not financial to let other people known as "slaves" waste countless hours gathering for you, while you just buy and make tonnes of gold with little effort...

example, if you have 1 account only, then it doesnt matter as much what toon has what prof, except for herbing, got to be a druid...

I have alchemy on 15 toons, cause i have 5 accounts, i mulitbox, a friend has it on, you wouldnt believe it but on 50, he boxes 10 accounts... can you imagine the amount of truegold we can xmute and amount of gold we made from it... these things need planning and you need to switch in and out of dominating profs for insane easy gold once you know what your doing...

alchemy on every toon is handy, in MOP its unknown yet but will be same kinda pattern for sure where xmuting something in mass = easy gold.

enchanting on many toons if you have mulitple accounts and play AH with gems, prospect, and de is essential for fast turn around and no down time..

loads of options, what needs to be thought of, is what is the in thing and what do you want to dominate...
    A woman should never invest in a relationship she wouldn't want her daughter in, nor allow any man to treat her in a way her son would get scoled for.