Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Artemis Fowl series is a great fantasy series. Read the series 3 times.

10+ Year Old Account
    The Belgariad/Mallorean. The writing is a bit simple, but it's a very entertaining and fast moving read.

A Song of Ice and Fire. Holy Shit, those books had me glued. And just when you think you know what a character is doing, he either does something unexpected . . . or gets killed lol

The Wheel of Time. A good read if you can stick to it and get into it. Skip Crossroads of Twilight though, that book was terrible. The rest of the series is brilliant though. Long, expect to spend at least half a year, most likely a full year, in the series.
    Putin khuliyo

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    The Prince of Nothing series by Richard Scott Bakker is absolutely wonderful. Think of it as Game of Thrones with even more violence, sex and plotting...muddled in with philosophy, epic battles and genuinely evil characters. Like...REALLY evil. In fact it strikes me as if a group of differently evil (or at least delusional, manipulated and selfish) people/causes came together and fought and occasionally worked together. Brilliant.
    Paladin Bash has spoken.

The Bartimaeus Trilogy by Jonathan Stroud. Definitely young adult fiction but it has a certain attention to detail that makes it a fun series.

Definitely has to be the Shannara series by Terry Brooks for me.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoma View Post
    The Wheel of Time - Robert Jordan/Brandon Sanderson
    A Song of Ice and Fire - G R R Martin
    The Sword of Truth - Terry Goodkind
    this. i agree with this list from zoma.

10+ Year Old Account
    In a bar. Somewhere that carries Khalua, cream and Vodka
    I am just finishing up Otherland by Tad Williams.

The series has been amazing so far, and I am really having a great read in the 4th book. (last)

Edit: Just umm... don't mind the Yellow Room.
    Last edited by Idrinkwhiterussians; 2012-04-29 at 12:28 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    anyone want doughnuts? i hear there is a great shop in Vancouver

10+ Year Old Account
    Absolutely love the "Inheritance" set of books by Christopher Paolini. Some people might know it as "The Eragon Books". Brilliant books, possibly the worst ever made movie adaptation of a book.
    Just finished reading "Catching Fire" of "The Hunger Games". About to sit down and read the third book. First two were exceptional!
    And I'm waiting for the third book by Peter V. Brett, of "The Daylight War Trilogy". "The Painted Man, and "The Desert Spear" were absolutely enthralling.

Read them, love them!

I resisted Hunger Games for a long time, but I was pleasantly surprised when I finally read them. I'm starting Game of Thrones soon. I tried to read that Shades of Grey series everyone's talking about, but the writing was total garbage, even for a romance/sex series. Then I found out it started as a Twilight fanfic. Well, no wonder I hated the hero and the heroine was totally bland. Twilight was better, actually.

Nothing compares to His Dark Materials though.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Brute Risk View Post
    I felt the first two books, Death and Time, were the strongest (in retrospect, the series seemed to lose some of its novelty after Time but it was a fun read through all... eight? of of them).
    I didn't notice, as the overarching story with Satan kept me pretty intrigued. Some stuff was predictable, but it was the characters and their experiences in the office which I felt really made it so good...It is kind of hard to tackle the idea of Satan and God in a frame like that. I think possibly a case where you have to judge the whole series as one work, to respond to your loss of novelty.

I think the Adept series was probably better, but it's been so long I would have to read them again.

In any case, glad to know other people still read him. My dad got me into him when I was probably way too young to be reading Xanth novels, but I credit my sarcasm, silly humor, and vocabulary development from Piers Anthony. It is honestly what got me into 'real' reading.

10+ Year Old Account
    the Lotr and Harry potter books ^^
    I thought I did, but apparently I don't

If you die you die but if you don't die you still die.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by orissa View Post
    The Belgariad/Mallorean. The writing is a bit simple, but it's a very entertaining and fast moving read.

A Song of Ice and Fire. Holy Shit, those books had me glued. And just when you think you know what a character is doing, he either does something unexpected . . . or gets killed lol

The Wheel of Time. A good read if you can stick to it and get into it. Skip Crossroads of Twilight though, that book was terrible. The rest of the series is brilliant though. Long, expect to spend at least half a year, most likely a full year, in the series.
    Eddings wrote the Belgariad and Malloreon with the intention of including all the traditional tropes and cliches of fantasy novels (young boy with great destiny, old wizard, knights, magical weapons, etc). The writing and dialogue is simple because it's supposed to represent what's going on in the characters' heads. Brilliant books, I've read them too many times.

I love ASOIAF, though I do feel it's getting a bit slow with the later books. Something big needs to happen there soon.

The Magician by Lev Grossman was an unexpected gem. Extremely tight, sharp writing with a great set of characters. I wasn't as huge a fan of the sequel, The Magician King, but both books are still definitely worth reading.
    Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo.

10+ Year Old Account
    Warcraft Novels
    Harry Poter
    Song of Ice and Fire
    Lotr
    Howay the lads!

The Malazan Book of the Fallen series is an incredibly well crafted and intricate story with a hell of alot more "Edge" than most fantasy novels. the first book may be a bit difficult to break into if you are used to books like the immortal Nicolas flannel and the eragon books but once you get in you are hooked.

im a pretty non-emotional dude but the end of the third book made me cry like a little bitch. Those who have read it know what im talking about.
    Last edited by AboriginalFactory; 2012-05-01 at 06:49 PM.

I really like "The Chaos Chronicles" by Jeffery Carver, it is unfortunately like "A Song of Ice and Fire" where the author stops writing them and leaves you hanging for YEARS. Waiting for the 4th book to come out was longer than waiting on the latest Ice and Fire book!

Quote Originally Posted by Tyranastus View Post
    Absolutely love the "Inheritance" set of books by Christopher Paolini. Some people might know it as "The Eragon Books". Brilliant books, possibly the worst ever made movie adaptation of a book.
    I just finished reading those book and I thought they are great. I really hope he does more especially more about Angela's background.

10+ Year Old Account
    lurking in the bushes outside of your window.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edison View Post
    the Lotr and Harry potter books ^^
    can't go wrong with a classic and a modern classic.

I've never seen any of the movies, are they worth the watch? I've considered nabbing them all, but i just can't decide. I might pick em up in netflix to see.

Artemis Fowl (Colfer)
    Thursday Next (Fforde)
    Last Dragonslayer (Fforde)
    Sam Vimes & others (Pratchett)

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ciggy View Post
    can't go wrong with a classic and a modern classic.

I've never seen any of the movies, are they worth the watch? I've considered nabbing them all, but i just can't decide. I might pick em up in netflix to see.
    Umm...I hope you have vacation from your job/school...you are going to need a long weekend off of your life for that experience.

Short answer: Yes. All of them.

Depends completely on what I feel like reading. At the moment, I've decided to burn my way through George R.R. Martin - A Song of Ice And Fire (because it's new and original to be reading it atm and all the cool kids are doing it).

Stephen King - The Dark Tower

Homer - The Iliad & Odyssey

Clive Barker - The Great And Secret Show & Everville

Brian Lumley - Necroscope

Shakespeare - The Complete Works