Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Breathe View Post
    Ow common, do you really think there are people that willingly migrate away from a heavy populated server to a normal/small server?
    The majority do not, maybe a few people but it is in 99% of the times the other way around.

On my server, if you look in fleet ppl are not talking about migrating away once transfers are there, they like it here because it is one of the 2/3 euro servers that are healthy.
    If you go to the leveling areas people are talking about it that once transfers are here the can get their other chars to tRE.
    People dont want servers with 10ppl in fleet on prime time (between 18:00/24:00), they want busy servers.

Ow, and you can play the anecdotal evidence is anecdotal but is the reality.
    Not mine (my server is busy), not yours (at least that is what i can make of your posts) but for a lot of others it is, whether you like it (you don't, all i get from you and your posts is that SWTOR/Bioware is flawless) or not.

The should make some kind of new/designated migration servers and make that the targets of transfers, first come first serve with regards to names and eventueally shut the ghost towns down.
    But that doesn't sound like what they're doing. Go back and read what dallas said. Targeted transfers to higher pop servers for motivated players.

Dallas: The Character Transfer Service, as mentioned above, will be offering free transfers from/to specific servers. This should allow the most motivated players to get onto a higher population server.

What does "motivated players" actually mean? Any ideas coz I'm confused as hell what relevance motivation has to server transfers. Is it a confusing way of saying that it's an elective process? In that you say yay or ney to the server transfer they offer...dunno.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Motivated, as in, has a desire to...I don't understand what is so confusing about that word. It means what it always does. If you have no desire to switch servers b/c you don't group, raid, pvp, or even raid a lot...then clearly you won't do it? I think you are getting hung up on the obviousness of their statement...which is a pretty silly way to say something.

Though it does speak to the specificity of "from/to specific" servers, in that...motivated implies people wanting to get off their server to try and create some action on a decent server ASAP is who free transfers are targetted at. Clearly those less inclined to immediately switch, before they see how it plays out are 'not motivated'. Maybe that clarifies better?

Not hung up on owt, I just think there's much better ways to put it. If I was a "motivated player" I would just reroll before the transfers, that's what motivation means to me at least.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kronik85 View Post
    What does "motivated players" actually mean? Any ideas coz I'm confused as hell what relevance motivation has to server transfers. Is it a confusing way of saying that it's an elective process? In that you say yay or ney to the server transfer they offer...dunno.

they would probably award people that have been faithful to the game, the same thing with the free month. "Motivated people" might be people with high legacy level that will have an active subscription the date the transfers would be allowed.

I would imagine the most logical choice would be to open free transfers from all the low-pop/light servers to a medium/standard server, funneling it to one server thus making it heavy and populated. They might do a bunch of these small -> standard transfers. It would make no sense to offer a heavy to light transfer, as most people are more than aware of the pitfalls of light servers and won't want to risk it.

Quote Originally Posted by Moriarty View Post
    I would imagine the most logical choice would be to open free transfers from all the low-pop/light servers to a medium/standard server, funneling it to one server thus making it heavy and populated. They might do a bunch of these small -> standard transfers. It would make no sense to offer a heavy to light transfer, as most people are more than aware of the pitfalls of light servers and won't want to risk it.
    Offer light to medium for 2 weeks. Free. Any light to any medium.

After 2 weeks, merge all the light servers to mediums.

That way you can go where you want if you care or have a specific place in mind.

Then, bioware can merge the minor servers to clean up the dead weight.
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by CommanderSheephard View Post
    Offer light to medium for 2 weeks. Free. Any light to any medium.

After 2 weeks, merge all the light servers to mediums.

That way you can go where you want if you care or have a specific place in mind.

Then, bioware can merge the minor servers to clean up the dead weight.
    I like this idea, however I do not want to be forced to change my in-game name as well as practically everyone in my guild. I'm sure there are other players with my character name on different servers as well as names people in my guild have. It would be a shame to have a merger and log in to find Bioware asking me to change my name.

Quote Originally Posted by Forsedar View Post
    I like this idea, however I do not want to be forced to change my in-game name as well as practically everyone in my guild. I'm sure there are other players with my character name on different servers as well as names people in my guild have. It would be a shame to have a merger and log in to find Bioware asking me to change my name.
    Agreed.

I started in the preorder days so I have some pretty awesome names. I know exactly how you feel.

miranda, geordi, brockf'nsampson, twenty-one, Amanda'laurian (one of my favs), blitzcraig...

: /

I just see too many servers tho. like... 10-20 too many.

Bioware is releasing FREE server transfers to re-populate smaller servers. .
    If that's the goal, it's a HUGE mistake. They need to move people FROM low pop servers onto a smaller number of servers with higher populations. And then get rid of a bunch of servers. I think the latter is what they're planning to do.

As far as negativity is concerned, it's the counter balance to people who constantly try to blow sunshine up people's asses about SWTOR. Being a constant cheerleader for Bioware/EA or SWTOR is just as bad as someone who's usually negative.

---------- Post added 2012-04-30 at 09:52 AM ----------

It's an inevitable consequence of server merges. You may not want to do this, but you may have to. The only option you'd have is to check out the target server to see if the names you have are already in use.

---------- Post added 2012-04-30 at 10:00 AM ----------

He comes into the thread saying TOR is dying, which if you didn't realize is grounds for being reported. It is frowned upon in these forums by Moderators. It isn't constructive to make a 5 word post saying that TOR will be dead.
    You can report all you want, but do yourself a favor and just report instead of making an announcement. It just makes you look silly.
    Stating an opinion as fact does not make it fact. Opinions are not fact. So don't be stupid and make a fool of yourself by trying to pass off your opinion as fact.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Blackmore View Post
    If that's the goal, it's a HUGE mistake. They need to move people FROM low pop servers onto a smaller number of servers with higher populations. And then get rid of a bunch of servers. I think the latter is what they're planning to do.
    Good news. In a second statement they have declared that their first wave of transfers will be from low pop to high pop servers.

So they appear to be doing exactly what you think they should.

Quote Originally Posted by CommanderSheephard View Post
    Good news. In a second statement they have declared that their first wave of transfers will be from low pop to high pop servers.

So they appear to be doing exactly what you think they should.
    I think that's the smart play. Get people off of low pop servers, if they want. I'd like to be on a server where I have a good chance of finding a group and where the WZ queue pops more than once a day.
    Stating an opinion as fact does not make it fact. Opinions are not fact. So don't be stupid and make a fool of yourself by trying to pass off your opinion as fact.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Blackmore View Post
    I think that's the smart play. Get people off of low pop servers, if they want. I'd like to be on a server where I have a good chance of finding a group and where the WZ queue pops more than once a day.
    Well, good sir.

Then you are in luck again.

between now and 1.3 they plan on having xrealm wzs and rated wzs.

And... a group finder.