Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Exclamation GW2: Developer quotes from the beta-forums - things you want to know

Hi guys! Since the developers are very responsive in the official forums and interesting quotes get lost pretty quick, I wanted to post some of the quotes I found handy to know. I skimmed through the dev-tracker and here you go:

Red/Blue colouring in sPvP:
    We know and plan on making an option for red/blue turned into just your own dye colors. Thanks,Jon
    Loot in sPvP not only through luck:
    What is actually in the chests, as well as ways to get those things without relying on luck are two unfinished pieces of this system. Now you know, and knowing is half the battle.
    Unreceived mail:
    Ninedare,
    Is your inbox full? There’s a limit of 10 mail before you can receive any more. The mail icon in the top left corner of the screen will have a red outline if it’s full.
    Crafting node placement in WvW:
    Node placement is NOT random. They actually work almost exactly as you first suggest (with some small overlap where material tiers meet).
    The northern third of the borderlands has tier 1 mats, the middle section has tier 2, the south has tier 3 and the EB has tier 4 around the outside, tier 5 closer to the castle, and tier 6’s are scattered around in very limited quantities.
    Importance of crafting:
    There are stat combinations that can only be acquired through crafting. It’s also the best way to get the highest stat gear in the game. The three armor makers craft the best/largest bags in the game. Cooking buffs are good, and the only way to get the best buffs with the highest durations. All that said, there is nothing that requires you to do it. Crafters can post their wares to the trading post and you can buy them from there. You don’t have to be a crafter yourself.
    Broadcasting events:
    Early on we learned that broadcasting events across the entire map is bad for several reasons. One problem is that far away events tend to be completed while you’re travel to them, hence wasting your time even more. The other large issue is that it tends to drag under-leveled players into impossibly hard content.
    Make sure you’re paying attention to those event criers. They tend to show up in high traffic areas.
    Too less xp through questing:
    To echo what the The Saint said, crafting is an excellent way to level in our game, and you get awesome gear. If you did every profession, you could craft your way to all the way to level 80. Also, exploration is always good. Go for 100% on the map. Every discovery is worth XP that can’t be out-leveled. Plus, discovering new areas means bumping into new content that you can complete for even more experience. Don’t forget about your capitol cities!

I’m not a moderator. I’m a designer who works on these dynamic events and I’m here to tell you that these are the solutions. Exploring will help you find more dynamic events.

We will be continually adding new events to the game before and after release to keep content fresh and exciting.

Also guys, I personally feel that if getting to max level is your biggest concern, you’re going to miss out on a lot of what this game has to offer.
    Hit and Run - event rewards for doing almost nothing:
    We have plans to implement a participation rule that requires that participated within a reasonable amount of time before the event ended. No more hitting a thing once and reaping the benefit hours later.

So this is what I found.

Edit: found something:

Reliable get the sPvP-Gear through forge (without Gems):
    Some bugs/missing features/notes:
    1) These should be account bound so storing them for use with other characters will work.
    2) We will add more to this system so that you can use the mystic forge to take dupes and unwanted items and RELIABLY turn them into wanted items.
    3) Glory vendors might not sell you stuff even if you are the right rank but they will eventually.
    4) The mystic forge is not going to cost gems.
    I can try to elaborate a bit, but it is still in progress. Basically there will a method or break down unwanted items. There will then be recipes with those pieces that can create specific items that you are looking for. These should all follow a pretty standard formula so that once you learn how to make a specific sword the recipe for making any specific sword should follow from that. We are still working out the exact details which is why we haven’t put it in yet. This current system has been in the game for less than a week so we know it doesn’t address the needs of players looking for specific rewards. There are still a lot of considerations.
    Right now you guys are seeing some new systems that are very raw. By the next beta weekend they will be a lot more polished. We spent a lot of time working on this game and while we still get a lot of clamoring to release it already we are going to make sure we set right all of the changes we have made before doing so.
    Jon
    how to draw on the minimap:
    Hold SHIFT to access all of the old mini-map drawing functionality.

Last edited by Maarius; 2012-06-11 at 11:57 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Maarius View Post
    Hit and Run - event rewards for doing almost nothing
    That happened to me a lot. I was out farming skill points and would get mob aggro, so I would drop my thumper turret (which aggros them) and keep running. Five minutes later I would get a reward pop up for a completed event.

Quote Originally Posted by Mif View Post
    That happened to me a lot. I was out farming skill points and would get mob aggro, so I would drop my thumper turret (which aggros them) and keep running. Five minutes later I would get a reward pop up for a completed event.
    One time I got a reward for an event I didn't even knew about...

Nice compilation
    Yh...the hit and run thing. I made 2 bug reports about that. Good to see it's being addressed.
    I forgot to say something about the green highlights around NPCs though....damn but I want an option to turn that off.

I was taking advantage of hitting and running myself, when I was level 39 and the only zone I hadn't cleared yet was the 1-15 charr area, so anytime I was close enough to an event I'd just do enough to guarantee a gold medal and then move on to the next heart or event.

Quote Originally Posted by Squirrelbanes View Post
    I forgot to say something about the green highlights around NPCs though....damn but I want an option to turn that off.
    likewise, it's odd, I didn't even find an option to switch between the red outlinings and the circles around the enemy-mobs feet.

likewise, it's odd, I didn't even find an option to switch between the red outlinings and the circles around the enemy-mobs feet.
    Yh...I really hope they have that. It's one of my very few concerns about the game.
    That.....and trying to kite as range and a hundred bloody ettins spawn all around u ><

Deleted
    I did find that very useful while kiting the Wasp Queen for ~5 minutes though. Bloody thing was barely on-screen the entire time... she needs to fly lower, dammit!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mafao View Post
    One time I got a reward for an event I didn't even knew about...
    I kid you know, I got gold for events I didn't know about...

Not too shocked though because similar things have happend to me in Rift as well. In the middle of dungeon and *boom*, loot and achievements.

I did find this out though: Some skills (I think I did it on all classes but Ele and Guardian stick out) will chain to a lot of clumped up mobs. If their initial hit is strong enough, you only have to hit time once or twice and then can move on to more mobs while players kill off the first group. I was able to run by, drop an AE or do a whirlwind in the mind of a pack of mobs and keep running and get credit for them while other people actually did 3x the work as me.

I'm curious how they will manage the Red/Blue problem. If everyone gets his colours, nobody will know the enemy.

I'm curious how they will manage the Red/Blue problem. If everyone gets his colours, nobody will know the enemy.
    Let's hope it's not heavy blue/red highlights around a person :'(

Their name shows up as red as well.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Squirrelbanes View Post
    Let's hope it's not heavy blue/red highlights around a person :'(
    Clear Bold Red Enemy names and Bold Green friendly names maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by Kyz View Post
    Clear Bold Red Enemy names and Bold Green friendly names maybe?
    That would be better imo. I just hate the highlights lol. Really find them jarring and obtrusive.

I can't really say I pay attention to the colors very much, but maybe the colors just make it so obvious that I don't realize I'm doing it.

10+ Year Old Account
    the neon glowstick aura would be annoying as hell i hope they give a option to lessen your target as is
    just need steampunk gear and a release date now
    If everything I do is wrong then by god ill do it right

All I want at this point is a release date. Pretty please? ...and tameabe griffons .

I wouldn't complain though if they removed or made it possible to turn off the glowing aura on mobs and players...it's SO annoying.

somthing interesting, updated OP:

Reliable get the sPvP-Gear through forge (without Gems):
    Some bugs/missing features/notes:
    1) These should be account bound so storing them for use with other characters will work.
    2) We will add more to this system so that you can use the mystic forge to take dupes and unwanted items and RELIABLY turn them into wanted items.
    3) Glory vendors might not sell you stuff even if you are the right rank but they will eventually.
    4) The mystic forge is not going to cost gems.
    I can try to elaborate a bit, but it is still in progress. Basically there will a method or break down unwanted items. There will then be recipes with those pieces that can create specific items that you are looking for. These should all follow a pretty standard formula so that once you learn how to make a specific sword the recipe for making any specific sword should follow from that. We are still working out the exact details which is why we haven’t put it in yet. This current system has been in the game for less than a week so we know it doesn’t address the needs of players looking for specific rewards. There are still a lot of considerations.
    Right now you guys are seeing some new systems that are very raw. By the next beta weekend they will be a lot more polished. We spent a lot of time working on this game and while we still get a lot of clamoring to release it already we are going to make sure we set right all of the changes we have made before doing so.
    Jon

---------- Post added 2012-06-11 at 11:56 AM ----------

how to draw on the minimap:
    Hold SHIFT to access all of the old mini-map drawing functionality.
    Last edited by Maarius; 2012-06-11 at 11:31 AM.

Red names and they'll probably make it so enemies appear on the mini map, within proximity.
    The most important thing to realize is, no matter what you experience you are never alone; no matter what you are struggling through, there is always someone who is more unfortunate.

It's Ok to Be Takei (Rank 35/ Fractal Level 22)

Quote Originally Posted by Deyadissa View Post
    Red names and they'll probably make it so enemies appear on the mini map, within proximity.
    nah, they don't want you to play the UI