10+ Year Old Account

[Music] Sick Drum Solo

I came across this video.....

I've never seen a drum solo likes this.... incredible!

What do you think, MMO-Champers?

I'm not all that impressed tbh

Edit : To be fair I should say I'm generally NEVER all that impressed with drum solos, we can all screw around and jam on our kits for a few minutes of random show off-y ness. Generally more impressed with actual songs that are difficult
    Last edited by WaitingforMoP; 2012-05-02 at 03:11 AM.

Deleted

I've always liked Flo Mounier, he might not be the fastest drummer in extreme metal but definitely one of the most technically proficient.

@WaitingforMoP
    I suggest you check out the album Blasphemy made Flesh (or None so Vile). It's basically a showcase for Mounier's talent and overall great songwriting.

Blake Richardson, this is the sorta stuff I can appreciate technically, I get bored of drum solos with simple common patterns outside of rock.

Not so much a "drum solo" as it is "a dude messing around on a drumkit". He's good, but nothing special. Both of the other videos posted so far have been better.

10+ Year Old Account
    wasn't really a "Sick" drum solo imo but it was good yeah:>
    I thought I did, but apparently I don't

If you die you die but if you don't die you still die.

10+ Year Old Account
    Great for a hobbyist. Not something I'd consider world class by any means.

Please excuse the Joe Morello plug. This is a real solo:
    Last edited by Callace; 2012-05-03 at 01:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alsonia View Post

Blake Richardson, this is the sorta stuff I can appreciate technically, I get bored of drum solos with simple common patterns outside of rock.
    Now THAT'S what I'm talkin about!

An actual memorized complex song, a long song at that and not just random masturbatory free styling

I can hardly even fathom how pro this guy is, to be memorizing and playing songs of this calibur every night on tour like he does.

BTBAM = Truly impressive

Insert 1961 Joe Morello solo in black & white here followed by calling it world class
    Um........ yeah....... what? Some nice rolls but.... Whatever...
    Last edited by WaitingforMoP; 2012-05-03 at 05:30 AM.

I'll concede it sounds somewhat different and cool, but I would also argue that it sounds like it would be terrible within an actual song. I won't call it "sick," because I hate that term. I'll give it a 6.5/10.

All about control. Led Zeppelin isn't even my favorite band, but Bonham was the greatest drummer that ever lived by far.

Quote Originally Posted by golds View Post
    I came across this video.....

I've never seen a drum solo likes this.... incredible!

What do you think, MMO-Champers?
    As far as drum solos go, I've seen a lot better. Gunna leave these here for fun:

this guy is awesome

As for the original video, I would say the solo is average nothing too special. As other people have said just some guy messing around on a kit.

Last edited by Newcon12; 2012-05-03 at 05:46 AM.

The guy who posted the Joe Morello thing needs to check out that Buddy Rich one, similar style, WAY better though

That was legitimately very impressive

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by WaitingforMoP View Post
    The guy who posted the Joe Morello thing needs to check out that Buddy Rich one, similar style, WAY better though

That was legitimately very impressive
    I had considered posting Rich. I should have because people would have enjoyed it more. I actually prefer Morello more for his minimalism, but what I posted wasn't a good example of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Callace View Post
    I had considered posting Rich. I should have because people would have enjoyed it more. I actually prefer Morello more for his minimalism, but what I posted wasn't a good example of it.
    Morello and Rich really aren't comparable, at least to someone who actually plays the drums. Rich was all about flashy virtuosic playing, while Morello, like you said, played a minimalist style. Comparing the two is like comparing Count Basie to Art Tatum (Jazz pianists, for those of you that don't know).

The two videos I linked are also not comparable. Rich and Peart play with such different styles, it's best to just appreciate both of them doing what they each do best. But, for some reason, people always insist.

I also would have posted a Moby Dick solo, but someone above me was kind enough to have covered that already. The great thing about Moby Dick was that it was completely improvised, but you can listen to solos that go upwards of 18 minutes or even a half hour and never get bored. Bonham was a genius in that regard, Peart is a master at "telling stories" with structured solos, and Rich was a master of technique. All three, I believe, are really unrivaled in their specific specialities. That being said, that doesn't stop me from picking a favorite, that being Bonham. Gotta love Bonzo.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darnash View Post
    Morello and Rich really aren't comparable, at least to someone who actually plays the drums. Rich was all about flashy virtuosic playing, while Morello, like you said, played a minimalist style. Comparing the two is like comparing Count Basie to Art Tatum (Jazz pianists, for those of you that don't know).

The two videos I linked are also not comparable. Rich and Peart play with such different styles, it's best to just appreciate both of them doing what they each do best. But, for some reason, people always insist.

I also would have posted a Moby Dick solo, but someone above me was kind enough to have covered that already. The great thing about Moby Dick was that it was completely improvised, but you can listen to solos that go upwards of 18 minutes or even a half hour and never get bored. Bonham was a genius in that regard, Peart is a master at "telling stories" with structured solos, and Rich was a master of technique. All three, I believe, are really unrivaled in their specific specialities. That being said, that doesn't stop me from picking a favorite, that being Bonham. Gotta love Bonzo.
    I've heard drummers say that Bonham's style was derivative of Ringo Starr.

10+ Year Old Account
    Meh. Thanks to Darnash posting who I was thinking of already (Neil Peart), I now have to come up with something else.

So, have a blind guy drumming: