Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Monk - the 5th agility dps

I can see a problem coming up. With monks, we will have 5 agility dps classes/specs. Strength for example, has only 3. So imagine what it will be like, when an agi trinket/cloak/ring/whatever drops?

Same situation as healers or int dps.
    If you want to be competitive in the PUG raiding enviroment you may have to dual spec as MistW or BrewM offspec.

Other alternatives are get good gear from LFR, or be a great social player in a guild.
    A positive attitude can go a long way for dps only.

Quote Originally Posted by Rikhart View Post
    I can see a problem coming up. With monks, we will have 5 agility dps classes/specs. Strength for example, has only 3. So imagine what it will be like, when an agi trinket/cloak/ring/whatever drops?
    The real issue will come with weapon discrepencies.

Monk was not given axes to 1h Axes, which Rogues were given in order to "open up weapon options" for Rogues and Enhancement.

Monks were however, given access to 1h Swords, so I expect there to be plenty of Enhancement QQ when/if they start itemizing agi weapons as swords again for Monks and Rogues.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaelthon
    do i wanting my cat come the expansion due to signifying a reroll fresh scratch the night elf mage?

10+ Year Old Account
    not sure if you're counting hunters as one of the 5 since you said classes/specs. if so, you can't count them. In Mists hunters don't have melee weapons anymore, and they use mail, where monks use cloth/leather. there's no competition between the two.
    I make videos of SimCity mainly, but am open to suggestions; check me out!

YouTube Channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/TheArcan...?feature=guide
    Twitter - https://twitter.com/TheArcaneBagel

Hunters (and enhance shamans) will still be competition for rings/cloaks/trinkets. And yes monks can use 1h axes.

Quote Originally Posted by Rikhart View Post
    You'll just have to deal, like casters do now.

Int/spirit rings cloaks necks will have have 6 heal classes (9 if you include the 3 dps off specs that can use them as separate)
    Int/hit rings cloaks necks will have 5 dps classes/specs that want them.
    Int without spirit/hit rings cloaks necks will be used by 8 classes ( healers and dps - though usually not till later in the expansion when healers can afford to skip spirit)

Get lucky, or raid with more plate/casters to better your odds .

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by wushootaki View Post
    Monk was not given axes to 1h Axes, which Rogues were given in order to "open up weapon options" for Rogues and Enhancement.

Monks were however, given access to 1h Swords, so I expect there to be plenty of Enhancement QQ when/if they start itemizing agi weapons as swords again for Monks and Rogues.
    It's OK, Monk actually have access to 1H Axes !
    You can see that the abitlity "Sever" that generates Chi when an axe is equipped, exists : http://www.wowdb.com/spells/115687-jab (ignore the fact that it's called "Jab", it's probably a glitch in the last build, every Chi builders seem to have lost their name for "Jab", at least on wowhead and wowdb).

If you want to be competitive in the PUG raiding enviroment you may have to dual spec as MistW or BrewM offspec.
    ^ This - the dual spec part.

In my guild (and I suspect many others as well) the last thing needed is more melee dps. We're telling people that they can roll monk dps if they want, but not to expect a raid spot.

Quote Originally Posted by Yorgl View Post
    It's OK, Monk actually have access to 1H Axes !
    You can see that the abitlity "Sever" that generates Chi when an axe is equipped, exists : http://www.wowdb.com/spells/115687-jab (ignore the fact that it's called "Jab", it's probably a glitch in the last build, every Chi builders seem to have lost their name for "Jab", at least on wowhead and wowdb).
    you made me smile very big today
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaelthon
    do i wanting my cat come the expansion due to signifying a reroll fresh scratch the night elf mage?

10+ Year Old Account
    It's worth noting that Fist weapons are suited to Enhsham and Rogues as well, so I hope we can see some drop in PvE content.
    They still feel the most "Monk-y".

Quote Originally Posted by wushootaki View Post
    The real issue will come with weapon discrepencies.

They have access to staves, there is always the feral/guardian/hunter staves. I do hope they bring back agi swords though, dw swords is fun.

What I said didn't really make sense so never mind.
    Last edited by Noviskers; 2012-04-27 at 02:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hijiri View Post

Other alternatives are get good gear from LFR, or be a great social player in a guild.
    A positive attitude can go a long way for dps only.
    Actually it doesn't matter since you aren't competing for gear in LFR anymore with new system. If you WIN gear, you always get something that your spec needs.
    The night is dark and full of terrors...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by namelessone View Post
    Actually it doesn't matter since you aren't competing for gear in LFR anymore with new system. If you WIN gear, you always get something that your spec needs.
    or gold..... you arn't gaurenteed an item even if you "win" on that boss

I'm surprised at another melee being added too, to be honest- but the gear drops can be tweaked to be fair. Right now, for instance, I believe the drop rates favor cloth over say, agi mail, as more specs use the former than the latter.

Of course, in our guild, cloth is super rare and never drops ever at all ever :/

Deleted
    Loot is always weightend by the number of classes needing it .. never noticed that ther eis more caster int then plate int? ....

warlock mage boomkin spriest ele

i count 5 int dps, and theres no problem.

Quote Originally Posted by asharia View Post
    warlock mage boomkin spriest ele

i count 5 int dps, and theres no problem.
    Well, no, but that's not why. Remember that competing over Int cloth there is:
    Discipline
    Holy
    Shadow
    Arcane
    Fire
    Frost
    Destruction
    Demo
    Affliction

Sure, two of those can't use hit, and six of them can't use spirit. The concern is that after this expec, agi leather will be chased by
    Combat
    Mutilate
    Sub
    Feral
    Guardian
    Brewmaster
    Windwalker

WRONG! You don't count different specs. You count roles. Warlocks and Mages only have one role. DPS. Hence it's irrelevant how many specs they have, each spec uses same things. There's no such thing as "yea but this spec I want haste, this I want crit..." no. You have reforge. Use it.

Priests have two roles. One of them likes spirit as regen, other can make do with mage and lock cloth.

Quote Originally Posted by Verain View Post
    Well, no, but that's not why. Remember that competing over Int cloth there is:
    Discipline
    Holy
    Shadow
    Arcane
    Fire
    Frost
    Destruction
    Demo
    Affliction

Sure, two of those can't use hit, and six of them can't use spirit. The concern is that after this expec, agi leather will be chased by
    Combat
    Mutilate
    Sub
    Feral
    Guardian
    Brewmaster
    Windwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Grinderofl View Post
    WRONG! You don't count different specs. You count roles. Warlocks and Mages only have one role. DPS. Hence it's irrelevant how many specs they have, each spec uses same things. There's no such thing as "yea but this spec I want haste, this I want crit..." no. You have reforge. Use it.

I disagree. Going by spec gives an accurate role count. For instance, your mage is definitely dps, but your priest is not. Counting priests twice is unfair to mages. Counting druids four times is definitely unfair if you count rogues only once- there are three whole specs of rogue, after all, and cat is just one thing a druid can be.

Shadow priests can use spirit cloth as well. It is odd that spirit cloth is restricted to a single class, and I think, a pretty serious oversight, especially given the number of 410 pieces that an spriest can use that a mage or lock cannot (aka the mage or lock will be stuck with 397 or 384).