Quote Originally Posted by mercutiouk View Post
    Let's be honest, WoW players only have an Alpha of the next expansion to look forward to for at least 6 months.

AmIdoingitrite?
    Lets be honest, EVE has a pretty stable playerbase where the only endgame content is PVP. (And crafting/market fixing if you are into that, but I'm of the opinion that players that do that as their main is a pretty small percentage).

Now, I'm not saying ESO will be profitable, or profitable enough, with a 500k playerbase. I don't know the numbers there. I do know I've cancelled my eve sub to move the money into an ESO sub because I find it more enjoyable than I do EVE, atm.
    Quote Originally Posted by xanzul View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    So if the states get together and work with the Legislative Branch to write an amendment to the federal constitution, you think the Judiciary (SCOTUS) could strike it down for being 'unconstitutional'?
    Uh...yes. Absolutely.

Quote Originally Posted by Tekkommo View Post
    You have to love it when people play to level 5 and complain how easy it is.
    Easy? Once I got out of Colharbour is when the butt-whupping began. WoW this is not, where (in most older starting zones now anyway) there are no hostiles before level 5 (though I could swear when I got BC in early 2010, there were red-named lvl 4 Feral Tenders, but they've been yellow since Cata, I think).

There's stuff to grab in Coldhabour (so many jars), but not, you know, much armour. Feel so nekkid leaving there.

Yet at the same time it's not SO difficult where I might get frustrated and give up.

And I still love the sensible mob confinement. I like being able to snoop along the coast, or in some woods, and only see the occasional peaceful wild beastie. Don't feel like fighting at the moment, just skirt around those quest areas.
    Last edited by FunkyRaccoon; 2014-04-08 at 10:21 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by l33t View Post
    this is a question of having to pay for extra month for no reason
    Well then it's a question of stupidity, because it's been made clear by Zenimax and people in this thread that you don't pay for shit extra. It's a temporary check to see that you've actually got functioning card, account, and funds to keep the subscription going beyond the 30 days.

Also, I find your teenager hate disturbing.
    Oh no.

Quote Originally Posted by Biggles Worth View Post
    What I want to know is when they are going to stop taking my $14.99 hostage and give it back to me so I can give it back to them at the end of the month.
    My bank works in such a way that even though the party who reserved the money releases it, the bank keeps it reserved for 14 bank days regardless. Could it be yours has a same sort of a practice?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Shamanic View Post
    Hard question to answer, I am in 4 guilds, a PvE guild, the social MMOC guild, and 2 member capped pure-trade faction guilds (500 members). I think that the sense of community - as with any MMO - will grow with the guild you are in, the people you meet. Even in my member capped trading guilds, people so far have always been courteous and polite on guild chat. In the MMOC guild everyone is calm and friendly even if they have a tendancy towards getting heated on here. I have done 6 dungeons, didn't get any AFKers or leavers, after every wipe, no one blamed anyone, we just got up and went again - but that is a very small sample of my personal experience. The official forums are a bit of a mess.

I think any community is what you make of it to be honest; find a decent guild and you can find a good community in any game.
    Thanks
    Although I don't think it is as easy as 'find a decent guild'. Yep a good guild is super useful (if not mandatory) if you want to get through all of the end game content and can help for levelling, but quite often when levelling there are no guildies around to level with and you need a solid player base with decent, cooperative players in the zones you are in to make it feel like a MMO community.
    It's probably too early to tell how it will level out, whether levelling zones will turn into graveyards making grouping virtually impossible or the groups will be filled with elitist jerks wanting to skip content and kicking/leaving if groups don't work to the optimum.
    I'll probably hang on for a while...thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    Well then it's a question of stupidity, because it's been made clear by Zenimax and people in this thread that you don't pay for shit extra. It's a temporary check to see that you've actually got functioning card, account, and funds to keep the subscription going beyond the 30 days.
    So I dreamed about a message from Zenimax, stated that for some banks/payment systems this payment won't be temporary? Kksorrybye.

WoW was a hilarious crashfest, bugfest and queuefest in the first months of vanilla. No point in trying to loot a node or a corpse; you'd be stuck looting. Fell through the ground constantly. Queues lasting two, three hours.

When you remind people of this, they come back at you with the such asinine "but that was a decade ago" -quip, as if though Zenimax's development team somehow has that decade of experience and code at the ready, instead of how it actually is; they've started from scratch just like Blizzard's developers started from scratch.
    Of course Zenimax developers didn't have that decade of experience, but that will never be an excuse. Is not like they are inventing a whole new genre from thin air or making the first MMORPG launch ever... just by watching how other developers handled certain situations in the past for other games you should at least be aware of how things can go wrong and ready to handle them.

Sure, there will always be bugs, shit will always happen... you can't fight against the inevitable. So far, even with bugs, it's been a pretty smooth launch in-game, some major bugs sure, but a good and smooth experience in general terms. The biggest failure was for things outside the game itself, things such as the payment 'fee', the stupid times for server maintenance... those things don't need a decade of experience, just a little of common sense and observation of how others handled those things.

Deleted
    So I dreamed about a message from Zenimax, stated that for some banks/payment systems this payment won't be temporary? Kksorrybye.
    Feel free to give a link to said messages, otherwise I call bullshit. If you can provide a message, then sorry...untill then, indeed kksorrybye.

Also, I find your teenager hate disturbing.
    Wait till you aren't a teenager any longer, you'll see it
    EVERY MMO requires a sub be set up. Same as MANY other services that have a free trial (like amazon prime or the various movie services). Whining about it makes you stand out as being either horrifically insolvent (in which case why are you playing computer games, you otherwise have my sympathies) or young enough that you shouldn't be playing (considering it's an 18+ game) and having to beg your folks credit card.

It costs nothing, you enter details, cancel in the first month and pay nothing else. The rest of it is standard practice as used in practically any situation where a free trial would normally be followed by monthly payment. Get over it.

- - - Updated - - -

Lets be honest, EVE has a pretty stable playerbase where the only endgame content is PVP. (And crafting/market fixing if you are into that, but I'm of the opinion that players that do that as their main is a pretty small percentage).

Now, I'm not saying ESO will be profitable, or profitable enough, with a 500k playerbase. I don't know the numbers there. I do know I've cancelled my eve sub to move the money into an ESO sub because I find it more enjoyable than I do EVE, atm.
    I was replying to a dude bashing for the hell of it Easy tiger, same team
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille
    I knew it would be useful to be french at some point.
    Quote Originally Posted by xxAkirhaxx
    just get a mac. It's like sleeping with a fat chick to avoid STD's.

Then it's still not Zeni's fault, you have a stupid bank with stupid policies.

Are you one of the ones who thought WoW's AP somehow involved paying more than your normal sub fees?

And oh, if "virtual visa" means pre-paid card, no, anything you do on that is pretty much one-way, from what I understand. Is the price of using one of those things (along with the hidden dings).
    Last edited by FunkyRaccoon; 2014-04-08 at 10:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mercutiouk View Post
    Wait till you aren't a teenager any longer, you'll see it
    EVERY MMO requires a sub be set up. Same as MANY other services that have a free trial (like amazon prime or the various movie services). Whining about it makes you stand out as being either horrifically insolvent (in which case why are you playing computer games, you otherwise have my sympathies) or young enough that you shouldn't be playing (considering it's an 18+ game) and having to beg your folks credit card.

It costs nothing, you enter details, cancel in the first month and pay nothing else. The rest of it is standard practice as used in practically any situation where a free trial would normally be followed by monthly payment. Get over it.
    I'm in my early 30s, have no hate for teenagers at all. I believe I've done something deeply wrong?
    And, since you have a habit of not reading other people's posts, let me remind you:
    1. You don't need to be 18+ to be able to get Virtual Visa, which lets you do any digital transactions you need.
    2. Not that I've played all of the MMORPGs, but... Aion - didn't require anything beyond a game code; AoC - same; EVE-O - same; TSW - same; WoW - same. The only game that required a check payment was SWTOR, and SWTOR for me is a prime example of how not to do games at all.
    3. I believe whining is not an action made by me, I have no problems paying for as much sub games as I want, though I do understand people who don't like something that looks like shady try to steal their money.

I am having some serious connectivity issues on the EU side, I actually haven't been able to play once since I bought the game on saturday... I CONSTANTLY get the 301 error message and the automated message says the exact same thing as the "customer support" people does; The problem is caused by heavy strain on the servers, Please try again in 10 minutes or something, the problem should be solved relatively quick. Well I have tried for more than 10 minutes, 4 days actually and I am starting to become pretty pissed off. I am just wondering if anyone have had the same problem as me, not being able to play AT ALL for 4 days.... I was not expecting it to be a smooth launch, but I haven't read anywhere about people not getting to log in at all like me. I am not asking for a solution to my problem, I just want to know if anyone else have had the same amount of trouble as I have. It seems so weird that the reason I can't log in is due to heavy activity on the server even 4 o clock in the morning, and nothing have changed at all over the days. I have asked them to refund my game but they only respond saying that the problem should be fixed shortly.... Please excuse my language, english is not my first language.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Geckoo View Post
    just by watching how other developers handled certain situations in the past for other games you should at least be aware of how things can go wrong and ready to handle them
    This reminds me with the disconnect I have with my boss when it comes to designing websites; he has an image in his head, and uses Photoshop to create a layout he would like the page to have. I have to then try and figure out whether PHP, HTML, CSS and jQuery can even accomplish that, and quite often I'm finding myself having to tell him that certain things just aren't smart to try and do. Same disconnect was apparent in American Chopper by the way. Their designer would draw a cool picture of a motorcycle, and then the engineers would have to engineer around the picture.

Just because you see how a game works for a player, doesn't mean it translates to code in any way or form, and we're not talking about black and white either-or -situations here. We're talking about software running tens of thousands of lines of code, an intricate weave of strands, where the changing of one of those strands may bring the entire spiderweb falling down.

Developers developing software today will inevitably make the exact same mistakes as developers developing software ten years ago. Why? Because there's no guide book written by those other developers, telling these new developers which pitfalls to avoid. Ten years from now, developers will still be making the same mistakes.

10+ Year Old Account
    A couple of the guys who put in a lot of playtime and used the rings of mara are in the + content and they are complaining/enjoying how difficult it is compared to the 1-50 content.

They were at Veteran 2 yesterday.
    What does using the Rings of Mara do?

Nevermind, googled it. Looks like I'm asking my friend for my hand in marriage.

Shame I'm away to Cyprus for a week tomorrow
    Last edited by Tekkommo; 2014-04-08 at 10:43 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tekkommo View Post
    What does using the Rings of Mara do?

Nevermind, googled it. Looks like I'm asking my friend for my hand in marriage.
    power leveling
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    I'd never compare him to Hitler, Hitler was actually well educated, and by all accounts pretty intelligent.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bromse View Post
    I am having some serious connectivity issues on the EU side, I actually haven't been able to play once since I bought the game on saturday... I CONSTANTLY get the 301 error message and the automated message says the exact same thing as the "customer support" people does; The problem is caused by heavy strain on the servers, Please try again in 10 minutes or something, the problem should be solved relatively quick. Well I have tried for more than 10 minutes, 4 days actually and I am starting to become pretty pissed off. I am just wondering if anyone have had the same problem as me, not being able to play AT ALL for 4 days.... I was not expecting it to be a smooth launch, but I haven't read anywhere about people not getting to log in at all like me. I am not asking for a solution to my problem, I just want to know if anyone else have had the same amount of trouble as I have. It seems so weird that the reason I can't log in is due to heavy activity on the server even 4 o clock in the morning, and nothing have changed at all over the days. I have asked them to refund my game but they only respond saying that the problem should be fixed shortly.... Please excuse my language, english is not my first language.
    I've been able to stay in the game for around 15 minutes only. Other than that it's stuck on "requesting character load" when i choose a character, or then loading screens kick me out saying "an unknown error has occurred"

So here I am, complaining on the forums.

Developers developing software today will inevitably make the exact same mistakes as developers developing software ten years ago. Why? Because there's no guide book written by those other developers, telling these new developers which pitfalls to avoid. Ten years from now, developers will still be making the same mistakes.
    I was going to comment on programmers not having a journal system like scientists and doctors do, where people who discover something important can share with fellow professionals and then I remembered - proprietary code and company secrets. :/ You can't learn from 10 year old polished code if no one's allowed to look at it. I do note that the new file system WoW is switching to, is their own proprietary format.

Because of that, the same problems will probably persist for a long time.

School is nice, but one thing I learned is they don't teach you little tricks, traps, pitfalls, etc. or about the side BS that comes with any kind of job - those are learned by experience, or by an older person being nice enough to save you the trouble of making the same mistakes they did.
    Last edited by FunkyRaccoon; 2014-04-08 at 10:51 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not sure about here in the US but in the UK it's being outsold only by FIFA 14
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    I'd never compare him to Hitler, Hitler was actually well educated, and by all accounts pretty intelligent.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tierbook View Post
    Not sure about here in the US but in the UK it's being outsold only by FIFA 14
    Getting outsold by a game that has been out for almost a year? That doesn't sound good for TESO.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

Deleted
    Is there any site where it is shown how well eso has sold?

Just because you see how a game works for a player, doesn't mean it translates to code in any way or form, and we're not talking about black and white either-or -situations here. We're talking about software running tens of thousands of lines of code, an intricate weave of strands, where the changing of one of those strands may bring the entire spiderweb falling down.
    Of course not, i didn't mean it that way, that would be either impossible or very very impressive.
    But by observing how others did handle centain situations, how players reacted to them... you can try to avoid them, anticipate them. You can learn from them, even if is not your game, is not about the code.

Actually, i was talking more about situations outside the game. In game even with a long beta phase and stress test you will always have something going wrong, i think that is inevitable and everybody somehow expects and accepts that it will happen. But you can't possibly expect any kind of problem with credit cards and you will never think of not being able to log in at prime time because there is a 'surprise' server maintenance.