Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Glytch View Post
    it is for ME3, which is basically the example they are using
    Really? You can't play or complete the game without the DLC? Are you serious... ?

I never played Mass Effect.

Quote Originally Posted by Dodrin View Post
    This is your opinion, Fencers. I personally do not buy a console/single player game unless it has a full, flushed out story. Of course gameplay matters too, but to say story doesn't matter in a game is subjective.
    Not an opinion. Games can not be without gameplay. It is impossible.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Really? You can't play or complete the game without the DLC? Are you serious... ?

I never played Mass Effect.
    a SIGNIFICANT story point is part of the from ashes DLC
    you can "beat" it without from ashes, but in a series with such a huge focus on story and plot it might as well had been part of the actual game. its not just a "o heres zaeed and katsumi" DLC pack

and then theres the dilemma with the ending, which bioware is gonna DLC us for 10 bucks

so in a way the game is unfinished

most people when arguing about day one DLC use this as their evidence

---------- Post added 2012-05-06 at 03:54 PM ----------

Not an opinion. Games can not be without gameplay. It is impossible.
    in a non trivial amount of games the story IS gameplay
    The Original Ganksta

Top 100 US daggers. yeah, you're jelly alright

Quote Originally Posted by Durzlla View Post
    then again i'm pretty sure you're smarter then the average dumbass

you can "beat" it without from ashes, but in a series with such a huge focus on story and plot it might as well had been part of the actual game. its not just a "o heres zaeed and katsumi" DLC pack
    So then the gameplay and game itself functions without such DLC? Meaning added detail via DLC is in fact, a premium.

I can only think of Dear Esther and the older text based games such as Zork. However, even in the text based games of old the method of interface was not possible via narrative. Do you know of any in which narrative was the method of interface and gameplay?

In what other games is story a method of gameplay? Having story and that story being enjoyable/engaging is not an expression of gameplay in any method I am aware of to date. If there are console games that have managed to do this, I would like to investigate.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2012-05-06 at 10:04 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    So then the gameplay and game itself functions without such DLC? Meaning dded detail via DLC is in fact, a premium.

I can only think of Dear Esther and the older text based games such as Zork. However, even in the text based games of old the method of interface was not possible via narrative. Do you know of any in which narrative was the method of interface and gameplay?

In what other games is story a method of gameplay? Having story and that story being enjoyable/engaging is not an expression of gameplay in any method I am aware of to date. If there are console games that have managed to do this, I would like to investigate.
    id argue that in dragon age: origins mass effect, mass effect 2, mass effect 3, SWTOR, assassin's creed (1, 2, B, R) and every single mystery/detective game created story is an indispensable piece of the gameplay

also: whether or not you think that ME3's DLC dilemmas are central to the game or not i guarantee you there are thousands of players out there who feel slighted who would happily argue all day with you about it. i wont, i just wont ever buy an EA game again

and no matter what you say people will still argue against day one DLC based off the past

EDITYETAGAIN: and dont get upset with me, i dotn have control over the feeligns of other people

wish i did tho, would fix so many thigns

not trying to sound like a dick, just saying if you go arguing about people's feeling about the game im not gonna respond

will on story being a part of gameplay
    Last edited by Glytch; 2012-05-06 at 10:26 PM.
    The Original Ganksta

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    Not when it comes to MMORPGs. Good ones anyways.
    Do you even know what "going Gold" means or do you just spout out nonsense without a second thought?

Your posts are starting to piss me off.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Crowe View Post
    Do you even know what "going Gold" means or do you just spout out nonsense without a second thought?

Your posts are starting to piss me off.
    day one patches DO make "going gold" alot less meaningless

its still there, but its not the deadline it used to be
    The Original Ganksta

id argue that in dragon age: origins mass effect, mass effect 2, mass effect 3, SWTOR, assassin's creed (1, 2, B, R) and every single mystery/detective game created story is an indispensable piece of the gameplay
    Certainly story can be a great addition to gameplay. That is not really something I ever argue against.

A game can be without story, plot, drama, visuals, sound and interface [a game at GDC once was done with a blank screen] and be a game. A game can not be without gameplay and be a game.

If some game has managed to do this, it is totally & wholly unknown to me. Would like to know of it if so.

also: whether or not you think that ME3's DLC dilemmas are central to the game or not i guarantee you there are thousands of players out there who feel slighted who would happily argue all day with you about it. i wont, i just wont ever buy an EA game again
    Oh yea, I bet it sucked missing out on the story bits. But again, EA decided that was premium content from what I read up on. Forgive me for not knowing the finer details w/r/t Mass Effect DLC, however.

and no matter what you say people will still argue against day one DLC based off the past
    Perhaps. Or maybe they will get over it in time. As they did with premium cable television or salons, for example.

EDITYETAGAIN: and dont get upset with me, i dotn have control over the feeligns of other people
    I am not upset... ?

My tone is always bitchy even when I like you or am enjoying the discussion. :s

10+ Year Old Account
    Certainly story can be a great addition to gameplay. That is not really something I ever argue against.

A game can be without story, plot, drama, visuals, sound and interface [a game at GDC once was done with a blank screen] and be a game. A game can not be without gameplay and be a game.

If some game has managed to do this, it is totally & wholly unknown to me. Would like to know of it if so.

Oh yea, I bet it sucked missing out on the story bits. But again, EA decided that was premium content from what I read up on. Forgive me for not knowing the finer details w/r/t Mass Effect DLC, however.

Perhaps. Or maybe they will get over it in time. As they did with premium cable television or salons, for example.

I am not upset... ?

My tone is always bitchy even when I like you or am enjoying the discussion. :s
    i didnt think you were, just warning

not in the mood to argue today, too much physics study /sigh

also: EA will deem turning on your console to play their game a premium and charge you for it every time you did if they could get away with it
    Last edited by Glytch; 2012-05-06 at 10:41 PM.
    The Original Ganksta

10+ Year Old Account
    A game can not be without gameplay and be a game.
    I want to point out as the only contribution I care to give: That's kinda redundant, don't you think? A game can't be a game without being a game. You might as well say that a dog can't be a dog without having the qualities of a dog. O_o
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    I want to point out as the only contribution I care to give: That's kinda redundant, don't you think? A game can't be a game without being a game. You might as well say that a dog can't be a dog without having the qualities of a dog. O_o
    Exactly! Though I skirting the issue of humans having free form RL games without distinct rules of play. Typically video games have rules of play, even if that rule is some thing very reductive like; input or observance.

Would you still buy a book if you had to buy a chapter that describe one of the major characters seperately? You can still read the book but you wont know anything about the character.
    Story is pretty much the gameplay of any game. Why would you play the game if you dont want to know the story? You play it for the story that means its part of the gameplay.
    So no, you cant complete Mass Effect 3 without DLC since you cant complete the story.

10+ Year Old Account
    guys, seriously, this thread is about a guild wars 2 release date, not about the difference of story and gameplay in video games, nor about their values in mass effect 3.

i know i've had my part in starting this discussion, but i didn't exactly except Fencer to just plain ignore my polite request (twice) to not derail the thread any further and instead pm me if she wished to continue this discussion. neither can she really do that, when other people start calling her out in this thread now.

so let's please just get back on top ;]

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sy View Post
    guys, seriously, this thread is about a guild wars 2 release date, not about the difference of story and gameplay in video games, nor about their values in mass effect 3.

i know i've had my part in starting this discussion, but i didn't exactly except Fencer to just plain ignore my polite request (twice) to not derail the thread any further and instead pm me if she wished to continue this discussion. neither can she really do that, when other people start calling her out in this thread now.

so let's please just get back on top ;]
    Wut? I was helping by explaining the context
    The Original Ganksta

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm guessing we'll get a release date after the next BWE
    Monk, I need a monk!!!

10+ Year Old Account
    Wut? I was helping by explaining the context
    it was just a general request

Quote Originally Posted by jvbastel View Post
    I'm guessing we'll get a release date after the next BWE
    hmm, don't think so.
    in fact, i guess for now the mystery about it's release somewhat adds to the hype. if they are really going to release it in late june, then i guess you would be right, but otherwise i think we'll have to wait a few more months =/

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sy View Post
    it was just a general request

hmm, don't think so.
    in fact, i guess for now the mystery about it's release somewhat adds to the hype. if they are really going to release it in late june, then i guess you would be right, but otherwise i think we'll have to wait a few more months =/
    Stop blaming meeeeeeee

Ot: watch it be August to release the same day sea of sorrows comes out
    God they are taking their sweet time on that book
    The Original Ganksta

and then theres the dilemma with the ending, which bioware is gonna DLC us for 10 bucks

so in a way the game is unfinished

most people when arguing about day one DLC use this as their evidence

---------- Post added 2012-05-06 at 03:54 PM ----------

Nonsense that makes me think you havent played it. From Ashes is actually not nearly as good (and definitely not a significant part of the story) as the Kasumi or Shadow Broker DLC. The story is completely fine and fleshed out without it, its in no way important or significant to the plot. At all. It gives a bit of backstory on one of the races, and thats it, and its information that doesnt really affect anything. And they are giving us the additional ending DLC for free.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldrad View Post
    You know, at some point, Hitler was "just a beta" and people didn't stop him... then he went live.
    Just saying.
    MMO Champ forums - where Cata is comparable to Hitler.