Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Pandaren Monk
    10+ Year Old Account

Question for those of you who've played the Beta

Forgive me as I couldn't find a thread on exactly this topic, so I decided to make one.

To be brief, the magic of Diablo 2 (for me) was very much about its treasure-finding aspect. That thrill of finding an unidentified set or unique item after long grind sessions, and then having something you could use to barter/trade with to really improve your character.

Heck, it's been almost 10 years but I still remember finding that perfect ethereal Death's Fathom. It was epic.

So, for those of you have played the beta, how would rate Diablo 3 in regards to this? Does it have that same treasure/magic-finding intensity around it?

Thanks.

Yes, it holds very true to this nature of the Diablo series.

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    For me its really hard to say since its such a short play through for beta i would imagine it will be quite similar though and i share the same hope for this also .sorry i can't be of more help .

The best part of the beta was finding the treasure goblins. You would chase them around for a bit and they would shit out gold then try to portal out. That was fun stuff.

yeh totaly, its the best part of D3 still.

Yes, and now there is an AH so the bartering of goods is easier. It's kinda the whole point of the game seeing as the story ends after the first difficulty and gameplay is pretty simple. Inferno mode is designed for max level, so no new abilities or anything there, just the gear grind. D2 was always about gear and D3 will be too.

Definitely, there is the same atmosphere in D3 imo.

The Unstoppable Force Resentful's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Oh yeah It's 100% true to It's nature still in terms of the item hunting thing , Only thing that isn't their is the whole spamming potions and well scroll of town portal / Scroll of identify which was tedious least in my opinion.

Pandaren Monk
    10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks for the replies. That's what I was hoping to hear. I was worried that the focus shifted too much to the questing experience. For me, the enjoyment was finding very rare items/runes/sets.

Back in the day I actually made a 100% legit Enigma runeword. I lucked out and actually found a Ber, then I made a Jah via lots and lots of transmutes of lower runes. It was satisfying even though the game was littered with dupes at the time. If Blizzard actually does a good job at curbing cheating and duping this time around, I can only see that satisfaction increasing.

Deleted
    Absolutely, I spent a lot of time farming just to see what would drop, and that was only the beta! The treasure goblins are pretty exciting, there seems to be a fairly even spread of elite and rare monsters and a few different types of chests... but I actually had unidentified rare items drop 3 times from just normal mobs, and that's the best thing of all!

Quote Originally Posted by FathomFear View Post
    Thanks for the replies. That's what I was hoping to hear. I was worried that the focus shifted too much to the questing experience. For me, the enjoyment was finding very rare items/runes/sets.

Back in the day I actually made a 100% legit Enigma runeword. I lucked out and actually found a Ber, then I made a Jah via lots and lots of transmutes of lower runes. It was satisfying even though the game was littered with dupes at the time. If Blizzard actually does a good job at curbing cheating and duping this time around, I can only see that satisfaction increasing.
    Everything is server side, maps, loot, chars..everything so it will be much harder to cheat. It will happen, no doubt, but with the RMAH there, they will have to keep it in check.

Disagree, Shamanic. The best thing of all is shattering pots- the sound of breaking pottery giving way to the plink of a rare drop.

Orgasmic.

Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    Everything is server side, maps, loot, chars..everything so it will be much harder to cheat. It will happen, no doubt, but with the RMAH there, they will have to keep it in check.
    There was map hacks already for the beta, that being said though i'm sure they'll try and crack down as hard as possible on hackers/botters etc being that there's real money involved in a legit way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Potboza View Post
    I created a black human male called "Pedopriest" and ran him to SW.
    I started asking where the schools were.
    Someone said "My kids play on this server you creep! How can you live with yourself?"
    I whispered back, "How old are they?"
    Yeah.

Pandaren Monk
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Disagree, Shamanic. The best thing of all is shattering pots- the sound of breaking pottery giving way to the plink of a rare drop.

Orgasmic.
    Yeah, I remember finding a Windforce in a grave. I loved those sounds of smashing clay pots, opening graves, and then hearing that sound of loot spawning on the ground.

Is there gonna be items with the stats "set in stone" in Diablo 3?. Because from the beta, absolutely all items that drops is randomized, and it kinda gives the feeling that you can't run around in hopes of getting that 1 imba item you already know the stats of.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by CheeseDoodlez View Post
    Is there gonna be items with the stats "set in stone" in Diablo 3?. Because from the beta, absolutely all items that drops is randomized, and it kinda gives the feeling that you can't run around in hopes of getting that 1 imba item you already know the stats of.
    I'm new to the diablo games, but isn't that how diablo loot is suppose to work?

Well. I'm new to Diablo as well, D3 beta is the first diablo game I've ever tried. And I was just wondering if that is how the items were supposed to be.

Quote Originally Posted by CheeseDoodlez View Post
    Well. I'm new to Diablo as well, D3 beta is the first diablo game I've ever tried. And I was just wondering if that is how the items were supposed to be.
    Basically, yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Firminator View Post
    The best part of the beta was finding the treasure goblins. You would chase them around for a bit and they would shit out gold then try to portal out. That was fun stuff.
    OMG the treasure goblins once I seen one I was like WTH is that! Then I starting laughing so hard he almost got anyway! I loved the snickering!

I liked the goblins, but my favorite thing in the beta were the booby trap random events you'd stumble on in the dungeons. This is going to be fun in softcore mode, but I can't wait to find a new one I haven't seen yet in hardcore. Decision Time! No other game will make you squirm over a decision like that.

Hardcore, I've missed you so much.