Deleted

folder sharing over a home group

I want to copy my WoW over from my desktop to my laptop. however, i don't have a 32 GB USB drive and a 16 GB drive would take 3 times to transfer (folders inside /Data, files inside /data, other folders and files. /data is 22 GB, too big to do at once). i don't want to download it again, because i'd rather save my bandwidth.

what i want to do is basically transfer it over my home network, because as far as I know, this won't cost me internet bandwidth. so i got 2 questions:

1) how do I put both my desktop and laptop in the same group (if possible without including the 2 other computers on the network)?
    2) how do I go from there to copy over the folder?

If both computers have Windows 7, you could try HomeGroup...

(The picture pretty much explains it)

http://i.imgur.com/UUbpI.png
    Computer: Intel I7-3770k @ 4.5GHz | 16GB 1600MHz DDR3 RAM | AMD 7970 GHz @ 1200/1600 | ASUS Z77-V PRO Mobo|

10+ Year Old Account
    me and my mate tried home group... and would it shite work.

so we just use skype to transfer, still quick and easy. or you could try hamachi. theres loads of options out there.

Just share the folder and grant everyone read access to it. Easy.

all you have to do is share the folder on your network

My home file server runs XP, and you can stream anything from it to a xbox, ps3, mac os, windows 7 etc.
    Last edited by skatblast; 2012-05-07 at 02:11 AM.

1. Chuck a folder on your C drive and call it "My share" or something equally recognizable.
    2. Right click said folder, hit properties and navigate to the "sharing" tab.
    3. Select 'share'.
    4. In the window that pops up click the drop down arrow.
    5. Select 'everyone' and click add. It will add the 'everyone' group below and grant them read/right permissions. Sweet!
    6. Now is a good time to open my computer, go to network (on the right hand pane) and just be sure that a little prompt doesn't come up asking if you'd like to turn network discovery to on. If this prompt does appear, go ahead and turn network discovery on.

The folder and any contents you place in it will now be view able over your network. (So chuck WoW in it!) After that you can hop onto your laptop, go to start > computer, and select network from the right hand pane. After a few moments it will display your desktop there under whatever you've named it. Open it up and you will be asked to login. You'll need to enter the username and password of the user account you use on your desktop. Once you've successfully logged in you'll see the "My share" folder you created. Open that and there's WoW Go ahead and copy paste it to wherever you like.

I'm assuming both PC's have windows 7 on them of course. Should probably have written that first but I cbf'd editing it now ^_^ god luck!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fjaxx View Post
    1. Chuck a folder on your C drive and call it "My share" or something equally recognizable.
    2. Right click said folder, hit properties and navigate to the "sharing" tab.
    3. Select 'share'.
    4. In the window that pops up click the drop down arrow.
    5. Select 'everyone' and click add. It will add the 'everyone' group below and grant them read/right permissions. Sweet!
    6. Now is a good time to open my computer, go to network (on the right hand pane) and just be sure that a little prompt doesn't come up asking if you'd like to turn network discovery to on. If this prompt does appear, go ahead and turn network discovery on.

The folder and any contents you place in it will now be view able over your network. (So chuck WoW in it!) After that you can hop onto your laptop, go to start > computer, and select network from the right hand pane. After a few moments it will display your desktop there under whatever you've named it. Open it up and you will be asked to login. You'll need to enter the username and password of the user account you use on your desktop. Once you've successfully logged in you'll see the "My share" folder you created. Open that and there's WoW Go ahead and copy paste it to wherever you like.

I'm assuming both PC's have windows 7 on them of course. Should probably have written that first but I cbf'd editing it now ^_^ god luck!
    Thanks, this was exactly what i was looking for, a guide that assumes nothing and doesn't skip any steps.