Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Starting playing Rift.. and

I just don't get the appeal of this.
    Currently, I am on wow burnout and just waiting for mists to arrive, so finding other things to do and play. After playing though skyrim (which is awesome, shame its a single player), and without guildwars 2 not out yet, I decided to give this one a go, after hearing to much of it on release, and the usual banter about it being a wow killer..

And now I'm playing it, I honestly don't get the appeal :S. The features are very similar to wow, given its UI, command and questing system, I felt like I got into it quickly due to how much that felt like wow. Yet the animations, the limited races 4 class to multiple specs just made the game feel clunky. The graphics aren't anything to be amazed by, and really, it just feels like this should be like any other free mmo you can download. Even the races you have as choice, all just human or elf based and a dwarf race for novalty, people actully considered this a wow killer?

Why was this even considered appealing when it was released, ok, its a nice enough game if you haven't played other ones like wow or guild wars, but not enough to get me hooked on it.

Btw, I didn't put this on the rift forum since I didn't want to make it look like I was hating on rift in the middle of many who liked it. I don't hate it, I just don't get the appeal.

Edit: Ok, see the mods decided to move this to rift forums anyway.
    Last edited by Trassk; 2012-05-08 at 02:11 AM.

While you said you couldn't believe this would be a wow killer, everyone says that about everything when a new mmo comes out. guildwars 2? Wow killer probably will tank. Rift wow killer? tanked Swtor wow killer tanked.Ive played all 3 had rift on day one of release same with swtor and have a gw2 beta.

i thought the same thing when i played rift i loved it because well much like in vanilla it was new! " which mind you is the answer to many of the questions such as Why was vanilla good" but another reason i loved rift was because during the first week weeks of launch there was heaps of people in the zones and more people in those zones + around that level more invasions = more fun, but much like you i quit after about 2 months of rift right when River of souls came out i think or during its event.

Ive recently got back into it with the gf as again like you have nothing to do, as we clear 8/8 heroic 25 man dw in 1 night in 3 hours. and being a tank in a 25 man guild can get my self sat being full bis for almost any fight i want, and while rift may not have the best style in the world you can say the same thing about wow. compare wow to tera. While wow looks like a cheese burger from maccas while tera looks like a 3 course meal from a 5 star wow famous restaurant and i ask you which would would you rather eat?.

the characters i agree 100% the characters are meh the armor looks meh the game is very clunky in some aspects and the graphics are meh compared to newer mmo's and games but they've gone the same root as blizzard why have a game that requires 2 58o cards that very few people can play making minimal profit in return compared to a game that can be ran on 1 shitty card or hell even on board cards marketing for a much larger audience.

TLR- people are stupid and think anything is a wow killer and will say it about anything and in the long run it will tank, everything tanks the only wow killer is blizzard.
    and incoming infraction from a mod for me giving my opinion on something and getting butthurt and calling me a troll.

excuse the terrible format no sleep for 2 days is bad.

Really doubt anyone other than fanboys termed Rift a "WoW Killer".

Trion said [& did] they set out to make a solid traditional MMO w/ different type of service plan and production capacity. Rift as a game was a test for their content pipeline & delivery. This is what they made, what they sold to their customers and what they continue to support. Very likely Trion are going to use the same business and development model for their upcoming games via the Red Door Initiative.

The appeal of Rift is in the soul system- on the fly flexible class kits and the production quality, Content and features are major & delivered monthly. Bi-monthly, at worse. Rift's updates, bug fixes, client stability, new feature sets, etc- are all very quickly and progressively developed. Again, that is sorta the draw of the game; a very robust production system.

If you came to Rift because you thought Warriors were going to swing axes in radical ways never before seen then you aren't paying attention to what makes Trion special in the market.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2012-05-08 at 02:48 AM.

Why do I always agree with what Fencer's says like 99% of the time?
    "Punching things is cool and stuff. Pow bam bam bam Pow. O yah... God I'm eloquent." -Dalai Lama

Why does anything have to be considered a WoW killer? Why not just another MMO, good, bad or otherwise.
    It's like crossing an intersection. There's shit going on all over the place and you don't panic and act like an idiot then do you?

Deleted
    Well, I'm a former huge wow fan, and I get the appeal of Rift =)
    Sure, I dont like the ordinary questing, but I never liked that in wow either. However, in terms of pve the invasions when lots of people join up and help killing and quite hard bosses out in the world just like that made leveling in the world very much fun. I dont know how many levels you are? But at 45 you can start instant adventures and they are really fun as well. It feels like you are in a living world and that was the big change for me compared to wow where you were out in the world, if you ever were, and never met a single soul.

One of the reasons I left wow, except complete boredom of lack of updates, was the direction in MoP and mainly shortened specs and stats merge and overall simplifying. In Rift you get lots of choices when it comes to souls, and lots of talent points, and not one but I had at least 4 specs that I easily swapped between on my chars. It was fun, especially in pvp. Pvp however is the reason I'm not subbing at this moment. Trion said they got some big updates for pvp coming up, so I wait until that content is released before I go back to the game. At this time, Rift is more of a raiders game. It's not a bad thing for the game, since the raids seems like quite a challange and not something avarage joe faceroll through within a week. But if you are a pvp player, you are not on Trions top priority list in the current state of the game.

Also, coming from a completely neglected wow in terms of updates and seeing how much Trion can deliver in much less time made me even more sick and tired of wow and more warm-hearted to Rift. According to me, Rift is the better game of the two.

But I understand why it's hard to get motivation to level and progress in Rift, especially if you know you will continue playing WoW and you feel you spent lot of time on your chars there and why progress on new ones in a game that feels similar. Especially if you level up with quest grinding only. Also if you plan on just play it until other games are out it might not feel like the time is worth it.
    I started playing Rift because I was bored to death with wow, and I was hyped about GW2 but that game was a long wait. So I started Rift with the mind set on "something to do until GW2 is out". But I liked it more than I could imagine. Sure, I'm not a current subscriber but I still like Trion and I like the game but as a pvp player I rather hear about the future of pvp before spending time on it. I have faith that they will do something fun with pvp in Rift, hopefully take advantage of their open world kind of gameplay, but we won't know until they say =)

Deleted
    Try Warhammer Online - It feels much more polished now, and always had great atmosphere and graphics, awesome source material (lore), and it's completely free to play.
    The same goes for Lord of the Rings Online.

One is PvP centric, the other is PvE centric.

I'm also wading through alternate games while waiting for Mists of Pandaria (and The Secret World), and the two titles above are the ones I am enjoying the most at the moment.

Being that Rift has a lot of WoW features, it may not be the best game to play if you are on a WoW burnout.

I enjoyed Rift while I played it at launch, but it is almost a different game now and for the better. It is very end game focused, and if I didn't play WoW I would most likely play it.

To me it is one of those games I wish I had time for.

RIFT is hyped up just like every other MMO out there by anti-WoWers and ex-WoWers. But unlike other MMOs, RIFT is good. It's not great. Hardly any game is great.

RIFT does some aspects much better then WoW. Open world is their main selling point. All that is going on in the RIFT's world is great. You really feel like doing stuff. The world is also beautiful. However the world is bit, dull too. You don't really see a lot of major NPCs. You don't really connect with the NPCs. You can hardly make out which NPC is important and which is just a random quest giver. The main villian, Regulos, is very well presented I must say and so are some of his lieutenants, like the girl who serves Regulos (I don't know her name yet). The story is however, very generic. Bad guys trying to take over the world, you have to save it. Nothing in between.

Personally, I don't buy the "raiding in RIFT is harder then WoW". I also don't buy "Trion fixes bugs faster then Blizz". If that was the case then players won't be QQing in massive numbers about the bugs in older raids and how easy the new raid is. What I came to know from some of the players in RIFT through forums and some personal talk, raiding difficulty is pretty much like WoW, might even be easier then current raids in WoW, but better presented then the current raids in WoW. So one have to decide on their own as too what they prefer in terms of raiding, WoW or RIFT.

The races, I agree, are extremely dull. Human, Elf, dwarf and big human. I actually talked about this in a thread I made. The spec system is nice. It can get improvements of course. But I like the customization. You can do a lot of things. Have a blast really. You can see that Trion gave less importance to races but focused more on the system. They made every race have all the specs so they don't get attacked by players later on like Blizz did (Shaman/Paladin). I'm not completely satisfied by trees as I think the current number of spells for my Inq Cleric is too low. But it's a new game. As time goes on, more spells will be added. So no complains there.

The GPU required is quite though. I play WoW with "high" settings and get 40-50 FPS on a wednesday in Org. In RIFT, on medium settings, I get 20-25 FPS in the city. And tbh, I don't see RIFT's graphics as a majorly better then WoW. They are different then WoW, not better. Some of the mob designs in RIFT are great. It gives you a "grown up" feel. All the running around also gives you a feeling of something terribly horrible going around. The mounts in RIFT are horrible. The animation is very funny. A lot of people agreed with me when I talked to about the mounts.

The UI is ok.

It's aimed at a bit older player base, sort of like that ones who played MMOs for about 3-10 years and know about them. You can call is heaven for some of the older MMO players, especially the ones who played WoW in Vanilla/TBC even early WotLK. And Trion made if very clear with their "you are not in Azeroth anymore".

Overall, RIFT is a game that will appeal to few people due to a number of differences. It is a very good game though and I'm enjoying it thoroughly. But if you give a choice between Tbc/WotLK (maybe MoP. We'll see how it goes) and RIFT, I'll jump at Tbc/WotLK. If MoP is any good, I'll still keep playing RIFT on the side when I have ran out of content in WoW. I think that is the best you can do with both now, since none is a full time MMO according to me. That is, if you can afford both. RIFT is defo the cheaper of the two and an easier side game.

PS: It is far from a WoW killer. MoP beta havr more players then RIFT game. Nothing can kill WoW. WoW is immortal. SWTOR is having a tough time. RIFT is doing ok, nothing great. People are hanging onto GW2 as the killer they have all been waiting for. They keep talking about dynamic events (dynamic quests). But, seriously, how much questing can you do? Do you seriously play MMOs for the quests? An MMO without raiding, is an MMO incomplete imo.
    Last edited by Waterisbest; 2012-05-08 at 05:54 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Culnar
    Sometimes people act like blizzard is their friend who betrayed them and now they're pissed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vulpei View Post
    Actually the backlash from pandas is because alot of the people didn't grow up.

Different strokes for different folks!

Deleted
    Rift was awesome and all, but I prefer wow because there are just more people playing it. If you wouldn't have to pay 2x 13 bucks I would play both, to bad

Quote Originally Posted by BrianV View Post
    Different strokes for different folks!
    So wrong. So, so wrong.

---------- Post added 2012-05-08 at 08:10 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by sharkwouter View Post
    Rift was awesome and all, but I prefer wow because there are just more people playing it. If you wouldn't have to pay 2x 13 bucks I would play both, to bad
    What I'm doing is, play WoW when you have the content. When you run of content in WoW, stop the sub. Sub RIFT and play it till you get new content in WoW. But for this you need a guild that is understanding what you are doing. My WoW guild is quite friendly (and casual) so I'm safe on that side. I need to find a friendly (and casual) guild in RIFT.

RIFT is just $5. So it's not like you spending over the odds for it.

WoW's content lasts about 3 months. Atleast that's the normal time for me. Then I move on to alts. Sometimes even alts are done with the content, like it did during TotC. So when you are out of content, go to RIFT. It's not like you are going miss out on anything in WoW or RIFT. Maybe HM raiding. If you want HM raiding then I don't think you can follow my strategy. You are probably in a hardcore guild and they won't let you bugger off after you are done getting BiS gear.

I think it's a brilliant strategy. Both games aren't worthy of full-time play unless you are a hardcore raider. So you can play both at regular intervals. Keeps things fresh and you learn to appreciate other games and gamers.
    Sometimes people act like blizzard is their friend who betrayed them and now they're pissed!

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm guessing this Thread must have been moved from some WoW sub-forum? basing this on the replies and "expert" opinions by said posters

Nothing to see here, move along, Rift is dead/dying, you can all sleep easy now

Quote Originally Posted by Slipmat View Post
    I'm guessing this Thread must have been moved from some WoW sub-forum? basing this on the replies and "expert" opinions by said posters

Nothing to see here, move along, Rift is dead/dying, you can all sleep easy now
    Giving one's own opinion means, one is saying the said game is dead!!

What's wrong with the opinions here? Are you not strong enough to take the truth? Or is RIFT the perfect game without any flaws?

Deleted
    did they change the subscription fee of rift then? I do have the game itself, I'm just not subbed right now.

Quote Originally Posted by sharkwouter View Post
    did they change the subscription fee of rift then? I do have the game itself, I'm just not subbed right now.
    Nope. It's the same. $14.99 per month. If you buy 3 months then it drops of course. Year is $109. You save quite a lot on that, like $70. The game's price is reduced (I think) to $4.99. Which is great.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Waterisbest View Post
    Giving one's own opinion means, one is saying the said game is dead!!

What's wrong with the opinions here?
    I think you're confusing this with the SW:TOR sub-forum, looking at your posts alone today in the 400k lost thread i'm not sure i can take anything you say as a valid opinion, but hey, go ahead and tell me more? always interested to read what other people think of a game i'm currently playing

Quote Originally Posted by Oni View Post
    I wish mods would add anti "wow killer" rule, ban everyone who uses it.
    Don't get me wrong, I don't play WoW for over 1 year since I got bored of it, I'm not trying to defend it in any way possible...
    It's just that the term can turn even the best thread into a huge pill of crap that usually ends up by getting locked anyway =/

Still! I kind of agree with the OP, most of MMOs showing up now are quite similar to WoW, this for a simple reason, WoW is a great game no matter what, even after all these years it still on the top of the list in a matter of subscribers… so I guess instead of people aiming to something original, fresh, new, they are just trying to do something as good as WoW.
    This is why Guild Wars 2 is getting all this attention, with is most likely deserved (can’t say for sure, haven’t played yet).
    I don't mind the term, "WoW killer". It has that appeal you know. Believe it or not, I think it actually helps increase sales for the "WoW killer". Tbh I am waiting for the day when the true WoW killer comes out. Can't imagine how it will be. Quite intimidating.

People can call a game WoW killer as much as they like. They can criticize WoW as much as they like. "We" WoW "fanboys" will listen to it and wait for the killer. But if the said hyped game fails to kill WoW or fails to even make a decent foothold, they anti-WoWers better be ready to listen to "us" WoW "fanboys", cause we did the same (here I'm talking about TOR/etc. RIFT, as I said, is doing good and I like the game a lot).

What I have a problem with is, when I simply criticize a feature in RIFT, that CAN be improved upon, it quickly cast aside. Like the poster above simply came in and said "yea yea RIFT is dead thread, move along". WTF? RIFT is NOT perfect. It has flaws. And WE as RIFT players have the complete right to talk about it, even criticize about a certain feature. RIFT is not someone's right here. They don't own. Somethings people like, somethings they don't. It does NOT mean we are bashing the game. Grow the fuck up people.

Players have the right to give their view. Positive or negative. About a feature or the entire game itself.

OP made a post about how RIFT doesn't appeal to him. What's wrong with him stating his opinion? Did it hurt any of us? Our gameplay? Or our opinion about RIFT? No, it didn't. People need to learn how to have a proper discussion without being offensive and taking things too personally.

The problem is that WOW has so much polish that anything game that comes out that does not have that SAME polish from day one is going to tank . Almost everyone who would buy a new MMO has played wow at some point and if the new game does not stack up against wow that game might as well just stop development or go Free to Play .

Quote Originally Posted by Slipmat View Post
    I think you're confusing this with the SW:TOR sub-forum, looking at your posts alone today in the 400k lost thread i'm not sure i can take anything you say as a valid opinion, but hey, go ahead and tell me more? always interested to read what other people think of a game i'm currently playing
    Yup, I was acting childish in the TOR forums, because that poster (forager, or whatever his name is) was talking absolute bonkers. He was being offensive to everyone while trying to act as a saint. Bringing down WoW while trying to show that TOR is successful. And I was simply having fun. That was so bad wasn't it?

Did you read the part where I told Shadylol that he was absolutely wrong on the way how he treated that customer service guy? This was in the same thread and Shadylol was on my side. I bet you didn't.

But ye, I will tell you more because your "RIFT is dead thread, move along, hallelujah", was so mature and inspirational. Instead of having a discussion, you acted just like a WoW "baddie". GG! Guess there goes the theory of all RIFTers are mature.